Virtuoso but a bit more music/dance inspired

The Specimen.8973

My Revised Virtuoso (with a more musical/dance aesthetic):

Preface:
This is my own personal revision of the Virtuoso, some ideas may be good, some may be bad. All in all, this is just what I would've loved to have seen from the Virtuoso, and hope to maybe see in a future version of the official Virtuoso. I haven't delved into damage numbers and all that jazz, but mainly the mechanics of the eSpec.

Basic Lore (not much of a change):
The way of the Virtuoso was birthed as the great dancers and minstrels of Cantha joined and melded their musical prowess with concentrated psionic magic, instilled by the monks of the Shing Jea monasteries. With psionically manifested blades to fire at their enemies through the performing of dazzling dances, the Virtuoso harnesses their telekinetic power into psionic abilities of bewildering force.

New Weapon:
• Main-hand Dagger:
- Skill 1:
Flying Cutter - Same as current, except for a damage boost, range of 900, and quicker projectile speed, and successfully hit flurries now stock a blade.

- Skill 2:
Blade Call - Same as current, except for damage boost, tighter spread, quicker projectile speed and return, returning hit inflicts cripple for 3 seconds.

- Skill 3:
Bladestorm - Same as current, except for damage boost, the storm bounces off of the wall like Bladecall, and the storm itself no longer counts as a projectile only the blades that are fired from it.

Bladesongs and Bladedance:
All Bladesongs can be used without a target, have a cast time of ¼ second, can be fired behind and to the side without interruption.

• F1 - Bladesong Harmony:
- Same as current, except for damage increase.

• F2 - Bladesong Crescendo:
- Fire a volley of blades that deal increased damage per boon on a target.

Increased Damage Percentage per Boon: 2%

• F3 - Bladesong Dissonance:
- Same as current, except for daze becoming stun.

• F4 - Bladesong Requiem:
- Same as current.

• F5 - Bladedance
Perform a dance routine that sheathes your weapons and gives you access to new offensive and supportive skills for a period of time through psionically enhanced moves.

Duration: 10 Seconds
Cooldown: 30 Seconds

• Skill 1:
Chain Auto-Attack
Precise Plié - Move. Perform a Plié to fire a blade at your target and grant yourself fury.

Fury (3 sec)
Range: 1200
Blade
Pierce
Combo Finisher: Physical Projectile (20%)

Ballonné Break - Move. Perform a Ballonné to fire a blade that strips boons.

Boons Removed: 1
Blade
Pierce

Arabesque's Punishment - Move. Perform an Arabesque to fire a flourish of blades that deal increased damage to enemies without boons.

Number of Projectiles Fired: 3
Damage Increase to Enemies Without Boons: 10%
Blade
Pierce

• Skill 2:
Blissful Entrechat - Move. Perform an Entrechat to create a psionic harp that pulses healing and resolution to allies in an area, before bursting to give a large amount of healing.

Casting Time: 1 sec
Resolution (2 sec)
Duration: 5 sec
Pulse Interval: 1 second
Radius: 240
Ground Target
Field: Ethereal

• Skill 3:
Fierce Attitude - Move. Perform an Attitude Derrière to create a psionic lute that pulses damage and vulnerability in an area, before bursting to deal a large amount of damage.

Vulnerability (2 stacks) (3 sec)
Pulse Interval: 1 sec
Ground Target

• Skill 4:
Pirouette's Puzzle - Move. Perform a Pirouette to create a psionic flute that pulses confusion and weakness in an area, before bursting to daze enemies.

Confusion (3 stacks) (3 sec)
Weakness (2 sec)
Daze (3 sec)
Pulse Interval: 1 sec
Ground Target

• Skill 5:
Cutting Jeté - Move. Perform a Grande Jeté as you dash in a direction you choose, while psionic blades damage and cripple foes that you pass through.

Cripple (3 sec)
Range: 400
Blade
Ground Target

Skill Flip

Encore Jeté - Move. Perform a second Grande Jeté to dash in another direction of your choosing.

No Damage/Conditions
Range: 400
Ground Target

Psionics:
Heal:
• Twin Blade Restoration:
Same as current, except now it has a cast time of ½ sec, you can use it without a target, the blades can be thrown behind or to the side, and you cleanse 2 conditions instead of 1. When used without a target, stock two blades instead of throwing them.

Utilities:
• Psychic Force:
Same as current, except for the cooldown being 35 seconds instead of 45.

• Rain of Swords:
Same as current, except for Sword of Decimation's damage increase to cc'd targets has been merged with Rain of Swords, and its now an ethereal field.

• Soothing Thoughts:
Psionic. Release soothing thoughts to yourself and nearby allies that cleanes conditions and breaks stuns.

Conditions Removed: 4
Breaks stun on you and allies
Number of Targets: 5
Radius: 300

• Telekinetic Grip:
Psionic. Cause enemies in a large area to float telekinetically for a short time.

Number of Targets: 3
Skill & Float Duration: 2½ sec
Ground Target

Elite:
• Blade Renewal:
- Same as current, except its now the elite with a 45 second cooldown.

Traits:
Minor Adept:
• Same as current, except for the additional recognition of Bladedance as the new F5 mechanic.

Major Adepts:
• Phantasmal Blades:
Phantasms grant you Vigor upon completing their attack, and summon a portal that fires blades at their target when they expire.

Vigor (4 sec)
Portal Duration: 3 sec
Blades per Second: 1
Blade Range: 1200
Blade
Pierce

• Mental Focus:
Strike damage increases by 10% while below the range threshold. Strike damage increases by 5% while above the range threshold.

Range Threshold: 450

• Blades of Plenty:
Improves dagger skills. Bladecall becomes an ammo skill and Bladestorm grants superspeed to allies and cripples enemies.

Maximum Count: 2
Count Recharge: 5 sec
Superspeed (2 sec per damage pulse)
Cripple (4 sec per damage pulse)

Minor Master:
• Dancing Blade:
Blades grant superspeed on critical hits.

Superspeed (¾ sec)

Major Masters:
• Psychic Riposte:
Blocking or dodging an attack grants you quickness and fury, as well as summon a portal that fires blades at their target.

Quickness (5 sec)
Fury (6 sec)
Portal Duration: 3 sec
Blades per Second: 1
Blade Range: 1200
Blade
Pierce

• Born To Perform:
Bladesongs grant fury and the duration of your Bladedance is increased.

Fury (6 sec)
Bladedance Duration Increase: 5 sec

• Mind Palace:
Psionics grant you Stability and Fury when used. Psionics gain a reduced recharge of 20%.

Stability (5 sec)
Fury (6 sec)
Reduced Recharge: 20%

Minor Grandmaster:
• Quiet Intensity:
Fury gives an increased critical hit chance. Gain ferocity based on your vitality. (Same as current version)

Major Grandmasters:
• Infinite Forge:
Automatically stock blades while below minimum blade count. You can now stock up to 6 blades.

Maximum Blade Count: 6
Minimum Blade Count: 4
Interval: 3 Seconds
Works in and outside of combat

• Diligent Rehearsal:
When you stock maximum blades gain Diligent Rehearsal.

Diligent Rehearsal (3 sec): Your next Bladesong is unblockable.

• Show Must Go On:
Gain Stability when you enter your Bladedance. When you complete a Move during your Bladedance, you stock a blade.

Stability (3 stacks) (10 sec)

Conclusion:

This revision is a lot more refined than my previous feedback and suggestions, and I do feel like I've been able to really capture that essence of the Virtuoso being this psionic bladedancer that Arena Net are going for, especially with my suggestion of the Bladedance mechanic on F5. Love to hear if these changes would be desirable by other mesmer players or not. Take care and stay safe all!

Edited by The Specimen.8973
Changed some things
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Why would you give the dances French names (if it's not actually French, feel free to correct me), when the elite specialization is Asian-themed?

It was invented (or at least is taught) in the Monastery in Shing Jea.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2021 at 3:32 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

Why would you give the dances French names (if it's not actually French, feel free to correct me), when the elite specialization is Asian-themed?

It was invented (or at least is taught) in the Monastery in Shing Jea.

I personally have more knowledge on ballet dance terminology, hence why I went for ballet moves and positions (so yes very French) . But you're correct, these would be more canthan-fitting if they were converted into east asian professional dance moves. Ballet was just the immediate style of dance that I thought off when thinking about what moves would look nice with the virtuoso's mechanics. My ideas were more of a deep dive into the style of mechanics that we could've got from the Virtuoso rather than something I would've set in stone. So yeah you're point is very valid!

• Like 3

While these are actually some impressive proposals, am I correct in assuming no matter how great you make it, it's only going to connect with a niche group of players?  This whole bard/music-flavored class design always seems to strike me as a fetish that is sustained by a very loud minority of people.  Probably those that read too much Patrick Rothfuss.

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Borked.6824 said:

While these are actually some impressive proposals, am I correct in assuming no matter how great you make it, it's only going to connect with a niche group of players?  This whole bard/music-flavored class design always seems to strike me as a fetish that is sustained by a very loud minority of people.

Unless a spec is over-tuned, that will always be true for all specialization.

Bladesworn will only be liked by people who are into that pop fiction fake-samurai theme or the Gunblade theme.

Vindicator's jump theme will only appeal to people who can enjoy it.

Weaver mostly appeals to piano-gameplay aficionados.

But that's what elite specializations are for. They are supposed to offer a new way of playing the professions, so an even broader selection of players can find a play style they really like (Although I doubt that Catalyst will have even the slightest chance at that).

Virtuoso definitely is my favourite thematic so far and during the beta is was fun to play (at least for me).

Edited by Fueki.4753

On 10/8/2021 at 8:14 PM, aetemes.2603 said:

It's a lot of thought into something that won't happen. 

Lmao you're not wrong, it was more of a "look at something Anet could've given us but decided not to" than something I'd expect to see officially

On 10/11/2021 at 2:36 PM, Borked.6824 said:

While these are actually some impressive proposals, am I correct in assuming no matter how great you make it, it's only going to connect with a niche group of players?  This whole bard/music-flavored class design always seems to strike me as a fetish that is sustained by a very loud minority of people.  Probably those that read too much Patrick Rothfuss.

Of course, the aim of my rework is just to display the sort of profession mechanics that Anet could've implemented to provide a deeper identity, when considering that they're already *trying* to make the Virtuoso this psi-dagger throwing Bard class with the Bladesongs, so my point is they could've leant into far more than just sprinkling those themes in to try and please the cloneless mesmer crowd and the Bard mesmer crowd at the same time, which feels a bit cheap to say the least.

On 10/1/2021 at 4:32 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

I'm french and even as such I'm not sure whether he use french or not. There are some words that are french and other that aren't.

I don't think there is a need to delve deeper into the "artistic" thematic than the virtuoso already does. People seem to think that a virtuoso is tied to arts when in fact being a virtuoso is just being a an expert at something (which isn't necessarily an art).

59 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I don't think there is a need to delve deeper into the "artistic" thematic than the virtuoso already does. People seem to think that a virtuoso is tied to arts when in fact being a virtuoso is just being a an expert at something (which isn't necessarily an art).

While not technically restricted to arts, it's almost exclusively used in artistic context.

Even the wikipedia page only has artistic context for it.

2 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I'm french and even as such I'm not sure whether he use french or not. There are some words that are french and other that aren't.

Yeah some are French, some aren't, but that's solely due to the ballet terminology that I know and have further researched.

I personally would've preferred going deeper into artistry as the blades and bladesongs are undoubtedly the class mechanics for the Virtuoso, and furthered through the little dance position animations when using your bladesongs. But then to have nothing else to provide additional reason for this musical vibe seems odd to me. Otherwise it feels like they're trying to include too many themes for the virtuoso: dagger-throwing, psionics, dance/music, and their ways come from the Shing Jea monks. It just feels a bit much without tying it together cohesively. So my idea of a dance based f5 with psionic instruments was an example of what could've been used to tie the themes together a lot more than the current version.

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

While not technically restricted to arts, it's almost exclusively used in artistic context.

Even the wikipedia page only has artistic context for it.

This was part of my reasoning for a more musical virtuoso too. Otherwise, they probably should've gone with Psion (my favourite) or Bladesinger (Bladesworn would probably prevent this one though).

I don't know how to quote..but ya don't get me wrong I completely agree with you OP I really wish they invested more into the fantasy of the specs especially since they were named with such 'exotic' names. Like reading your post was painful just because I was very disappointed how the especs turned out to be personally and just trying to accept it xD.

I literally had to google the term virtuoso and was super psyched about what could that be in game..especially that trident mesmer 1 siren's call hinted a potential so I thought they are expanding on that. Then dagger was revealed I was like ok maybe it'll be a hype acrobatic performer flings daggers "thief but make it mesmer" how are they gonna make that vibe.

But what I saw on the preview of it and the rest of the classes really completely turned me off personally it gave me WoW/ffxiv "pruning" flashbacks games that I left for that exact reason...I was like here we ago again at least gw2 needs no sub. 

But reading people finding virtuoso appealing I am like...maybe the target demographic they find more lucrative really do want things to be *that* way?

On 10/14/2021 at 2:08 AM, Salt Mode.3780 said:

Like Virtuoso is such a random name when Blade Dancer could've been the alternative name to it. BladeDancer BladeSworn which stems from the same expansion would not be far fetched if they were afraid of overlapping names. Like bladesong skills would also fit into the theme of BladeDancer. 

Meh I kind of like KnifeShittingPsionicMusician better.