Skyscale mount skins on gemstore

Based of other games that sell skins the prices seem reasonable 
400 gems = $5 usd
800 gems = $10 usd 

Look at games like FF14 and WoW that charge $25-$30 dollars for a mount and no skins. 
Its what makes GW2 amazing you get a raptor you get a raptor you get a raptor. How/if you want to make that raptor look entirely up to you. The skin does not make it do anything different. 

It's a business, they need to make money some how as they effectively just give away their content for free and the fact that you can grind away and buy gems with gold + all the other methods such as keys, I see no issue with the current prices, surprised they're not higher.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Walle.6045 said:

Based of other games that sell skins the prices seem reasonable 
400 gems = $5 usd
800 gems = $10 usd 

Look at games like FF14 and WoW that charge $25-$30 dollars for a mount and no skins. 
Its what makes GW2 amazing you get a raptor you get a raptor you get a raptor. How/if you want to make that raptor look entirely up to you. The skin does not make it do anything different. 

It's a business, they need to make money some how as they effectively just give away their content for free and the fact that you can grind away and buy gems with gold + all the other methods such as keys, I see no issue with the current prices, surprised they're not higher.

Isn't that because different mounts in those games are basically skins and functionally all the same?

I've not played FF14 or WoW but I assumed they work like mounts in Elder Scrolls Online where the different types are purely cosmetic. In ESO it doesn't matter if you're riding a horse or a bear or a giant lizard or whatever, they all work identically so even though there's many different types of mounts (many of them exclusive to the cash shop) it's basically just skins for the same mount.

I know WoW has flying mounts as well as ones that go on land but that's the only distinction I've heard players talk about and I'm pretty sure there's ways to get a flying mount within the game.

Whereas GW2 has to give players one of each type of mount for free in the game because they work differently. It makes a big difference whether you're using a raptor or a springer or a jackal so they couldn't give just one in the game and keep the rest for the cash shop.

1 hour ago, EpicName.4523 said:

It is all about cost and value. Other games don't matter. Nobody said anything should be given for free. The disparity between the cost for one skin and compared to the other four is staggering and that's the point of this thread. Peace.

Let's ignore any potential background costs associated with making any individual mount skin, and assume that all skins require the same time and effort.

There is no value to these mount skins.  The only value a player perceives is subjective, and unique to that player.

The cost associated is seemingly arbitrary, but is likely borne from knowing their marketplace.  Players are buying these mounts and mount packs to a degree that we have never really seen price fluctuations in mount skin pricing.  However we do see sales on many mounts skins and if you are patient can usually get 20-35% off any single mount skin at some point.

It tells me that the market thinks these prices are relatively fair, and the methods of acquiring these mounts is acceptable in general.  If it wasn't we would see price drops on mount skins, changes to how they are sold or simply more sales.  This is a case of voting with your wallet, where Anet probably cares more about the sales metrics than the written feedback.

Edited by Mungo Zen.9364
  • Like 2

Personally, I'd rather have somewhat higher prices on optional/available for acquisition in-game (by partially or fully exchanging Gold for Gems) items than having the revenue lost made up by increasing the cost, by a very large amount, to expansions.  Expansions would probably cost something like $250 dollars, then, and still not make up for the lost revenue. 

• Like 1