Why Guild Wars 2 actually is in a great place now

6 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Or, you could simply be mistaken. Again I'll let others decide what to think based on their own perceptions and experience. I knew I wasn't going to convince you that Season 1 was widely played by a large percentage of the playerbase and was thus massively popular. 

But you're the one actually picking on a single word while ignoring the actual intent of what I'm saying. If you don't think Season 1 was popular that's fine. I simply don't agree and I'd wager it was popular enough to be the major upgrades to this game for a year and a half with very little else in that time period. It was popular enough to call it massively popular. Only the temporary nature of the content caused complaints.

that is a lie, i saw many low level players leave when that pesky event started . i did the same , because if you werent good enough ( (or interested in) the event, it basically prevented you from doing missions in that area. the alternative was to stick around, and getting yelled at in chat for not doing the event. oh yea, did i mention, that it would actuallly kill US if THEY failed?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

19 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

This isn't true.  While it was popular it also had massive problems, the biggest of it was it wasn't sustainable. And it prevented people starting the game from getting into the story.  It was massively popular with people playing but that didn't mean it wouldn't have been a detriment to getting new people in the game. There are all sorts of reasons that changes are made to creative endeavors all the time. Popularity is one reason something keeps going, but there are many reasons why projects get cancelled.  

The assumption that anything popular would continue is not a good one, even though it would seem to be a no brainer. I've been in publishing a good portion of my life and that's just not how it works...not all the time.

it was popular among those who played it? yea that makes sense. the rest is pure gibberish. the kind of talk you would expect from a politician. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, battledrone.8315 said:

it was popular among those who played it? yea that makes sense. the rest is pure gibberish. the kind of talk you would expect from a politician. 

Wow, way to misinterpret. What makes something popular in a game is what percentage of the people playing that game play that content...spend time in that content...complete that content. This is why I say raids aren't generally popular. It's my belief most of the population ignores raids. 

Season 1 was played by a significant percentage of the playerbase who were in game at that time. It has nothing to do with who doesn't play the game, because they'd likely not have heard of it, or understood it in context if someone even tried to tell them about it.

So, of the people playing the game, who had a chance to experience it, in my opinion a good percentage, probably even a majority did play that content and even complete that content. Anet has that information and we don't, so it remains my opinion.  That said if people didn't play it, why would Anet have continued to focus on the living world at the expensive of pretty much everything else?  Seems to me, someone must be playing it.

If everyone PvPed or raided, or even a significant percentage of the -playerbase did, why wouldn't Anet support those formats more. Sounds like a business decision. Anet went all in on the living world. Maybe some people haven't asked themselves why, but I think it's pretty clear. That's what the bulk of the population were probably playing. Which makes it popular...yes even massively popular. 

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, battledrone.8315 said:

that is a lie, i saw many low level players leave when that pesky event started . i did the same , because if you werent good enough ( (or interested in) the event, it basically prevented you from doing missions in that area. the alternative was to stick around, and getting yelled at in chat for not doing the event. oh yea, did i mention, that it would actuallly kill US if THEY failed?

Oh you saw many low level players leave when that pesky event started? Which pesky event? The living world season 1 lasted a year and a half. Did you have any specific pesky event in mind.  And you  saw many people leave? How many? 2? 6?  You're in contact with hundreds of people? Thousands?

And lie? You should look that up in the dictionary. Even if I'm wrong (and I state this as a belief or opinion), Anet has stuck with the living world. Why would they have done that if it wasn't popular?  I get it. You personally didn't like it, and six people you know found it too hard.   It wasn't a very common complaint though.  It's like people who complain the living story is too hard now. It's a minority of the playerbase...in my opinion.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1