Might Time Duration Stacking Question

Can anyone explain to me how this works? I just don't understand, especially playing as a Thief. Why is it that swiftness can be stacked in duration very easily, but might and fury, and offensive boons in general just don't stack in duration as easily. 

I was testing out Strength runes 

With the critical strikes Might generation trait Assassin's Fury ( 2 stacks of might for 9 secs )

Sigil of Ruthelessness ( 5 stacks of might  on interrupt )

Thrill of the crime ( 3 stacks of might for 10 secs )

The might time duration doesn't add up together

Can someone explain this to me? It's already upsetting enough that Thieves don't get that much access to boons through Utilities, it's just salt on the wound that I can't stack this duration. (And no I don't have boon duration armor on at all, I guess maybe thats the simplest answer, just wear boon duration stats, but it just seems like every source of might generation I have (What I explained above), it seems as though every Might generation proc resets or overwrites the previous Might boon.

From what I understand, Might's duration doesn't actually stack at all. Instead, its potency stacks instead. So if you were to trigger all four of those effects you listed, you effectively have 3 separate Might buffs: 2 for 9, 5 for whatever on interrupt, 3 for 10. And the game condenses those all down into a single boon timer that grows or decays as the individual sources appear or go away "off-screen," so to speak, which is why 2 stacks of might fall off after 9 but you still have that one leftover second of 3 stacks because of Thrill of the Crime.

My Fury is stacking in duration, though. I assume because it's a static +20% crit, the same way Swiftness is a static +33% boost, so additional buffs to it are tacked on instead of layered in intensity.

• Like 3

Might is not stacking duration, its just stacking in effectiveness. 

But if you play pistols or rifle you should have a lot of might. Fury comes with specific traits. 

Critical strikes 3/2/1

Trickery 3/1/2

Deadeye 3/3/1 or 3/1/1

Provides perma fury, 25 might, regen, swiftness, vigor and a bit protection. Outside of deadeye its harder to keep up self boons. 

Tho double pistols are a good thing for might generation. Trickery 3/1/2 and crit strikes 3/2/1 should apply a fine amount of fury

Edited by SeTect.5918
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SeTect.5918 said:

Might is not stacking duration, its just stacking in effectiveness. 

But if you play pistols or rifle you should have a lot of might. Fury comes with specific traits. 

Critical strikes 3/2/1

Trickery 3/1/2

Deadeye 3/3/1 or 3/1/1

Provides perma fury, 25 might, regen, swiftness, vigor and a bit protection. Outside of deadeye its harder to keep up self boons. 

Tho double pistols are a good thing for might generation. Trickery 3/1/2 and crit strikes 3/2/1 should apply a fine amount of fury

Seconding that Critical Strikes line is easy permanent fury uptime.  

With Assassin's Fury and No Quarter you will have ample might before you account for equipment, skills, and other traits, plus all the fury you'll ever need.  Assassin's fury will basically give you 3 stacks of might every two seconds.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AikijinX.6258 said:

Can anyone explain to me how this works? I just don't understand, especially playing as a Thief. Why is it that swiftness can be stacked in duration very easily, but might and fury, and offensive boons in general just don't stack in duration as easily. 

I was testing out Strength runes 

With the critical strikes Might generation trait Assassin's Fury ( 2 stacks of might for 9 secs )

Sigil of Ruthelessness ( 5 stacks of might  on interrupt )

Thrill of the crime ( 3 stacks of might for 10 secs )

The might time duration doesn't add up together

Can someone explain this to me? It's already upsetting enough that Thieves don't get that much access to boons through Utilities, it's just salt on the wound that I can't stack this duration. (And no I don't have boon duration armor on at all, I guess maybe thats the simplest answer, just wear boon duration stats, but it just seems like every source of might generation I have (What I explained above), it seems as though every Might generation proc resets or overwrites the previous Might boon.

Boons in gw2 stack in duration or intensity. Each singular application of might has its own duration, read more here:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Effect_stacking

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

Seconding that Critical Strikes line is easy permanent fury uptime.  

With Assassin's Fury and No Quarter you will have ample might before you account for equipment, skills, and other traits, plus all the fury you'll ever need.  Assassin's fury will basically give you 3 stacks of might every two seconds.

it's actually 2 stacks of might every 2 seconds (Assassins fury)

However I think the 2 second CD is just a hinderance. Very annoying, because I feel like thieves don’t have easy access to like 12+ stacks of might besides deadeye reliably without having to break your back making a build for Core Thief or DrD. Whereas every other class has easier access to these boons through their utilities and traits. We have a very limited amount of boon access with our utilities. ( I guess with Specter coming and the Well of bounty that will give a bit more boon access ) but still I feel like Thieves are in a boon deficit.

Edited by AikijinX.6258