Decided to Return to GW2 - Convinced Others to Join me - Game is Broken and won't launch?

Title really says it all. The game simple doesn't work for any of us, it not only doesn't launch, it completely breaks our PCs so a hard restart will work.

Hopefully this is fixed asap and a statement made because we likely won't be back and I'm sure this will cost the game players.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Xierg.7426 said:

Title really says it all. The game simple doesn't work for any of us, it not only doesn't launch, it completely breaks our PCs so a hard restart will work.

Hopefully this is fixed asap and a statement made because we likely won't be back and I'm sure this will cost the game players.

MAN you picked a bad day.  It was a small patch, and something got borked bad, I think they found the problem and are working on implementing a fix though, never seen a problem this bad take this long so it's gotta be something weird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, the good news is there is simple temporary fix. It has already been shared on the forum but it is worth repeating as it is now buried beneath a wall of text:

-Open your Guild wars 2 install directory.
-Create a shortcut to your Guild Wars 2 client (the executable you need to target is "Gw2-64.exe"), name this shortcut "Gw2-64_windowed.exe" to avoid confusion.
-Right click on the new shortcut and select "Properties" (it may have a different name in different language)
-In the text area labelled as "Target", that's the first text area, add " -windowed" at the end (note the space at the beginning!) ; it should read something like that: "C:\Games\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -windowed
-Apply the change and double click on the shortcut to launch the client.

The shortcut we have created force the game to launch in windowed mode (launching the game fullscreen is what is provoking the bug). Your game should launch now but it is in a small window and we don't want that. We are going to swap to the much better Fullscreen windowed mode:

-In the top left corner of the character selection screen, click the gear icon.
-A menu appear, click option and go to the graphic option (that is the double triangular icon that look like a Vista icon)
-In the Resolution option, that is the first option, Choose Fullscreen Windowed instead of Windowed.

For future launches you can use your regular executable, you don't need to keep the shortcut we have created. Also, note that other methods to force the Windowed mode as been reported to be working.

Edited by Guybrush.4762
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Guybrush.4762 said:

Hi, the good news is there is simple temporary fix. It has already been shared on the forum but it is worth repeating as it is now buried beneath a wall of text:

-Create a shortcut to your Guild Wars 2 client (the executable you need to target is "Gw2-64.exe"), name this shortcut "Gw2-64_windowed.exe" to avoid confusion.
-Right click on the new shortcut and select "Properties" (it may have a different name in different language)
-In the text area labelled as "Target", that's the first text area, add " -windowed" at the end (note the space at the beginning!) ; it should read something like that: "C:\Games\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -windowed

The shortcut we have created force the game to launch in windowed mode (launching the game fullscreen is what is provoking the bug). Your game should launch now but it is in a small window and we don't want that. We are going to swap to the much better Fullscreen windowed mode:

-A menu appear, click option and go to the graphic option (that is the double triangular icon that look like a Vista icon)
-In the Resolution option, that is the first option, Choose Fullscreen Windowed instead of Windowed.

For future launches you can use your regular executable, you don't need to keep the shortcut we have created. Also, note that other methods to force the Windowed mode as been reported to be working.

I forgot to add in my post that I tried this as well. Didn't work for me. Hope it works for others though.

1 hour ago, Guybrush.4762 said:

Worked for me. Many thanks! Too bad Arenanet has joined the club of game companies who lately managed to mess up simple patches. Bioware did the same with the infamous FUBARpatch in SWTOR a few months ago. Some people had to entirely reinstall that game to fix it. Hopefully Anet does better.

That procedue is far too complicated for a Mac user like I am, who was already forced to install Windows on a external drive in order to continue playing GW2, and knows very little about it (but thanks for the effort anyway). I hope this mess will turn back soon into a regular login procedure.
NEWS:
I logged in by chance a couple of times, now I am logged in.
What if I switch to windowed mode before quit?
Would this work for next login attempt?

Edited by Justin Time.7054