Best melee Open World Professions/Builds

Opopanax.1803

I've been doing pretty well with my Dire Burning Guardian, but I want another class and build that can really hang in melee for a long time and sustain against multiple mobs.

From what I have heard, my options might be:

Daredevil

FT Scrapper; Power with burning % duration runes/sigil.  Something like this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeQAIlRw6YJsHWJW+OvtLA-zRZYihdGFAcwlRCFQmJgNzCPvWA-e

Reaper

Dire Fire Weaver

Wondering if I am on point with these.  How well do these sustain for longer durations against lots of mobs/adds?  Which ones do better?

At this point I am leaning towards a FT scrapper but am open to other options.  I like Supply Crate a lot, and barrier proc seem to be great in theory, but how does a build like this do in reality?  Thanks in advance.   

So, FT Scrapper is optimal against large packs of mobs (pocket raptors, lanes in Dragonstand). Barrier procing is also optimal in the same situation as it procs on damage you do and damage scales WAY better on multiple targets than it does with trait multipliers.  It's not good for single targets, though in that situation, you can put away the FT and go Hammer, which is quite good. So basically, you go all out DPS, proc the biggest barriers from DPS and multiple targets and get the most DPS from the build. 

48 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

So, FT Scrapper is optimal against large packs of mobs (pocket raptors, lanes in Dragonstand). Barrier procing is also optimal in the same situation as it procs on damage you do and damage scales WAY better on multiple targets than it does with trait multipliers.  It's not good for single targets, though in that situation, you can put away the FT and go Hammer, which is quite good. So basically, you go all out DPS, proc the biggest barriers from DPS and multiple targets and get the most DPS from the build. 

Thanks!  Great tips; helpful since I only dabble in Engi...

27 minutes ago, Buran.3796 said:

Exactly this but i would use devastation instead of retribution.
Devastation 3 3 3 gives tons of hp and dmg.

Would also use draconic echo instead of elevated compassion tbh.

Edited by SeTect.5918
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SeTect.5918 said:

Exactly this but i would use devastation instead of retribution.
Devastation 3 3 3 gives tons of hp and dmg.

Would also use draconic echo instead of elevated compassion tbh.

TY both.  I'm not super familiar with how to play herald.  Any tips on this?  Is it mostly camping mace and swapping legends on CD?  

I had been looking at a similar build, but it used Invocation for Song of the X in the final tier.  procs lots of condis on both Mallyx and Glint... but I can see why both of you are thinking about Devastation and Retribution... 

I'll have to give Condi Herald a look... ty!

ps, is it really worth taking shield instead of Staff?  I was thinking staff for breakbar stuff...

7 hours ago, Opopanax.1803 said:

TY both.  I'm not super familiar with how to play herald.  Any tips on this?  Is it mostly camping mace and swapping legends on CD? 

Yes, only swap to dragon stance when u run out of energy, its important that u only use the heal skill and elite skill of demon stance bc the skills on 7-9 are bad af.
Try to do mace 3 into the combo field of mace 2 for 3-6 might stacks for around 23 sec.
On dragon stance spam facets with their consume skills if u r using draconic echo (a trait), except healing facet and elite skill facet, use the consume of healing facet only if u expect large dmg from an enemy, bc it converts dmg into health. Keep the elite skill facet a bit alive to stack up a bit protection duration.

I had been looking at a similar build, but it used Invocation for Song of the X in the final tier.  procs lots of condis on both Mallyx and Glint... but I can see why both of you are thinking about Devastation and Retribution...

Yea invocation would be the dps variant, tho i think devastation has both far more sustain and slightly more dmg now than invocation since may 11 patch.

ps, is it really worth taking shield instead of Staff?  I was thinking staff for breakbar stuff...

if u swap to staff u cant swap back to mace/axe for 10 seconds. In other words: You will deal 0 dmg for 10 sec, bc staff is a support/power weapon and with trailblazers u wont get any power or precision or ferocity.
U also have enough ccs already without staff. I list some (condition durations are based on this build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmxAke7lhQKsIyiJRXMICjBSiMBqgj+1frF-zRJYkRLfZUZK0RB49BJI6B-e😞

1. Axe 4 does chilled and slow for 3.25 sec which is a very good cc.
  2. If u pair the chilled and slow with the weakness of mace 3 it hits even harder.
  3. Axe 5 is a pull.
  4. Elemental blast (utility skill of dragon) does weakness for 6.25 sec and chilled for 4.75 sec.
  5. Chaotic release (elite skill of dragon) is a massive knockback.

The listed skills r enough to kill a breakbar. On most bosses half of the breakbar goes away just by skill 3 of mace and skill 4 of axe.

I dont know if shield is even needed, because I was able to solo avatar of balthasar, mushroom queen, all hps in auric basin, all hps in verdant brink and most pof bounties without shield. i just used mace/axe.

However if u will try this build, have fun 😄 its really enjoyable

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Opopanax.1803 said:

against multiple mobs.

Each prof has strong build against multiple mobs. It is not champ solo build where you really have not many options to choose from. That is why you should take one you most like in sence of playstyle. Reaper will be DPS strongest.

15 hours ago, Opopanax.1803 said:

A quick guide and gameplay from two very good players using condi Herald variants:

The one from MoM is more recient and based on celestial stats instead of trailblazer. Fastest open world killing build for Revenant is condition Renegade but uses the short bow a lot so I won't list here (Hizen, Paper Roll, Nike! and other have videos about in Youtube).

• Like 2