I am so incredibly confused by salvaging

Friend.2837

The wiki states that: "Upgrade components placed in items cannot be recovered except by either salvaging the item (with a Black Lion Salvage Kit or Ascended Salvage Tool)", and that "Only Black Lion Salvage Kits can be used to acquire runes by salvaging".

Does this mean that regular salvage kits can't salvage upgrades? Or just that they can't salvage runes in particular? If that's the case I'm super confused, because runes are upgrades and regular salvage kits say they have a % of salvaging upgrades, so why do I need a BL salvage kit?

Super lost, thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by Friend.2837

• Friend.2837 changed the title to I am so incredibly confused by salvaging

You're confusing upgrade extraction with upgrade salvaging.

Normal salvage kits salvage the upgrades too, giving increased returns, while Ascended Salvage Kits and Black Lion Salvage Kits salvage the item and return all the upgrades intact, and Upgrade Extractors and Infusion Extractors (for Infusions only) return the upgrade without destroying the item.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

You're confusing upgrade extraction with upgrade salvaging.

Normal salvage kits salvage the upgrades too, giving increased returns, while Ascended Salvage Kits and Black Lion Salvage Kits salvage the item and return all the upgrades intact, and Upgrade Extractors and Infusion Extractors (for Infusions only) return the upgrade without destroying the item.

Oh my god that makes so much more sense. Thanks!

One quick question though, when I salvaged a dagger I got the Soldier Seal on it back. How does that work?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Friend.2837 said:

One quick question though, when I salvaged a dagger I got the Soldier Seal on it back. How does that work?

Some stat that cant be crafted can have their insignia or inscriptions salvaged from droped weapons and armor.

Edit

Your soldiers being one of them.

Edited by Linken.6345

2 hours ago, Friend.2837 said:

Salvaging runes and sigils into lucent motes, symbols and charms was implemented about 3 years ago, and they were the only upgrade components considered in this change. 

Other upgrades like seals, medallions, jewels, gemstones, etc. still work the same way as before the change and can't be salvaged into anything. So instead of salvaging, they are returned with the %-chance stated in the description of the kit.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2021 at 8:29 AM, Linken.6345 said:

Some stat that cant be crafted can have their insignia or inscriptions salvaged from droped weapons and armor.

Edit

Your soldiers being one of them.

If you look here for universal upgrades you can see that on different level for that item you salvage that can get Mark (lvl 20), Talisman (lvl 35), Seal (lvl 50), Medallion (lvl 65) and Crest (lvl 80).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Universal_upgrade

Medallion are rather common to get as Salvage item, so the best thing is to use NPC Vendor and sell them as those isn't worth to list on Black Lion Trade Post (you have to pay a fee and a tax). Use sell junk at NPCs Vendor (some repair stations do also work as NPC vendor even if they aren't looking like a NPC). You can pick each Medallion and double click to sell them or mark each one and sell button, but that is much more time consuming. Remember that you can buy back items if you by accident would double click wrong item, but only as long you don't change map or instance. Play it safe by using bags for keeping all junk item in one place (bags of Oil) and move those items like Medallion into same bag which make it easier to see when at Vendor as it list each bags item that can be sold after bags (as long those bags can sell items to NPC Vendors - see end of post for bags protect against salvage and/or being listed at Vendors).

Crest on other hand can be worth around 5 silver before fee and tax on BLTP.

The main difference between Universal Upgrades and those other upgrade that be used on those slots of equipment are that these can be equipped independent of item type. If there is a slot for upgrade you can use Universal Upgrade in that slot. Runes on other hand can only be used on armour and weapon can only take Sigil.

I would advice you to use right click on that item to see "Costumize" option there you can now click on slot and it will show all relevant items that can into that slot, if you have put them in your Inventory. It is a safe way if you also just want to replace a Rune with another Rune or Sigil with another Sigil and so on, to pick the correct one. As for Rune you will see if you picked the right one (need to be six of the same Rune for full bonus which turns green when it the right one). Costumize will show a preview before you decide to make it permanent on that item.

Infusion is another slot that are only be found on Ascended and Legendary equipment.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion

You can add a second Infusion slot if you upgrade that item in Mystic Forge with special recipe combinations, but you will have to be careful so you don't forget to remove all Infusion you want to keep as some are rather expensive. Mystic Forge destoys that items upgrade (or actully reset it to an empty slot).

That is why most people will use Extraction kit to take out the more costly Infusion before they do anything to that equipment. Some Sigils (for weapon) and Rune (armour) can also be very expensive on BLTP or to craft yourself, so it is best to check what the price will be on that part before you use a Salvage Kit or Permanent Salvage kit on those.

From my own experience with Runecrafter's Salvage-o-Matic it will not Salvage item have exotic level upgrade when you use right click option to salvage "All up to rare" (yellow) item. You can Salvage those item if you want to, but need to activate kit (clik on it - cursor change and all items that can not be salvage will change colour/grey out) and pick those item you want still to salvage. It is a higher chance to get Charm and Symbol which can be used to craft new Runes or Sigil or be sold for a good price on BLTP.

In short Rune Crafter will not automatic Salvage everything down to material components when there is an exotic upgrade (Superior Rune or Superior Sigil in name indicate exotic tier) on that item, this is probably because how easy it is to use this by mistake on every item that are Rare or Exotic item and "All up to..." means also it is very fast to turn evey lower tier item up to Rare/Exotic into mats and depose it into Material Storage. It is only items that placed into protected bag (Invisible Bags/Invisible Packs/Safe Boxes/Courier's Bags) in Inventory that will prevent that kind of mistake to happen.

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, ShadowCatz.8437 said:

If you look here for universal upgrades you can see that on different level for that item you salvage that can get Mark (lvl 20), Talisman (lvl 35), Seal (lvl 50), Medallion (lvl 65) and Crest (lvl 80).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Universal_upgrade

Medallion are rather common to get as Salvage item, so the best thing is to use NPC Vendor and sell them as those isn't worth to list on Black Lion Trade Post (you have to pay a fee and a tax). Use sell junk at NPCs Vendor (some repair stations do also work as NPC vendor even if they aren't looking like a NPC). You can pick each Medallion and double click to sell them or mark each one and sell button, but that is much more time consuming. Remember that you can buy back items if you by accident would double click wrong item, but only as long you don't change map or instance. Play it safe by using bags for keeping all junk item in one place (bags of Oil) and move those items like Medallion into same bag which make it easier to see when at Vendor as it list each bags item that can be sold after bags (as long those bags can sell items to NPC Vendors - see end of post for bags protect against salvage and/or being listed at Vendors).

Crest on other hand can be worth around 5 silver before fee and tax on BLTP.

The main difference between Universal Upgrades and those other upgrade that be used on those slots of equipment are that these can be equipped independent of item type. If there is a slot for upgrade you can use Universal Upgrade in that slot. Runes on other hand can only be used on armour and weapon can only take Sigil.

I would advice you to use right click on that item to see "Costumize" option there you can now click on slot and it will show all relevant items that can into that slot, if you have put them in your Inventory. It is a safe way if you also just want to replace a Rune with another Rune or Sigil with another Sigil and so on, to pick the correct one. As for Rune you will see if you picked the right one (need to be six of the same Rune for full bonus which turns green when it the right one). Costumize will show a preview before you decide to make it permanent on that item.

Infusion is another slot that are only be found on Ascended and Legendary equipment.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion

You can add a second Infusion slot if you upgrade that item in Mystic Forge with special recipe combinations, but you will have to be careful so you don't forget to remove all Infusion you want to keep as some are rather expensive. Mystic Forge destoys that items upgrade (or actully reset it to an empty slot).

That is why most people will use Extraction kit to take out the more costly Infusion before they do anything to that equipment. Some Sigils (for weapon) and Rune (armour) can also be very expensive on BLTP or to craft yourself, so it is best to check what the price will be on that part before you use a Salvage Kit or Permanent Salvage kit on those.

From my own experience with Runecrafter's Salvage-o-Matic it will not Salvage item have exotic level upgrade when you use right click option to salvage "All up to rare" (yellow) item. You can Salvage those item if you want to, but need to activate kit (clik on it - cursor change and all items that can not be salvage will change colour/grey out) and pick those item you want still to salvage. It is a higher chance to get Charm and Symbol which can be used to craft new Runes or Sigil or be sold for a good price on BLTP.

In short Rune Crafter will not automatic Salvage everything down to material components when there is an exotic upgrade (Superior Rune or Superior Sigil in name indicate exotic tier) on that item, this is probably because how easy it is to use this by mistake on every item that are Rare or Exotic item and "All up to..." means also it is very fast to turn evey lower tier item up to Rare/Exotic into mats and depose it into Material Storage. It is only items that placed into protected bag (Invisible Bags/Invisible Packs/Safe Boxes/Courier's Bags) in Inventory that will prevent that kind of mistake to happen.

If you clicked any of those marks you see they dont come from salvage at all but containers like bags.

And dont see what all of that got to do with my post at all so maybe edit this wall of text with sorry dident read and just responded with random word sallad?

On the other hand in response of your post

Green or above can be combined in to either Orbs or  Amalgamated Gemstones so I would mystic forge those 

• Like 2