Rev in SPvP

Luclinraider.2317

Hello all,

I recently started a Rev and built her SB Condi Renegade.

I like the build quite a bit in PvE and even WvW, however, despite it being ranked highly on meta battle for Conquest, I can't seem to do much right in 5v5 and 3v3 arenas with the build.

It feels like I get blown up even if I go Vitality toughness, and if I go heavy Condi or power with Shiro...ill blow all my CD's after knock down, and I cant kill a single person.

Any advice or builds for this spec or rotations in SPvP...I just feel useless.

Thanks for the help!

I run (amongst other ones) a condi Renegade build for roaming in WvW withi uses short bow/staff as weapons and Shiro + Jalis as legends, with a mix of viper and trailblazer stats. Works very well in small fights at WvW and In PvE due the stats, runes, sigils  and consumables available in that game  more let you stack very powerful synergies.

In PvP those combinations doesn't exist, and the build is much weaker. The best short bow Renegade builds for PvP are based on direct damage, and they run either berserker or demolisher amulet. Is fairly powerful in ranked but less effective in automated tournaments vs comformed teams. Naru sometimes uses that build (with great success) but is hard to see him using it recently due mains Guardian/Necro/Engie and He doesn't enjoys Renebow enough (prefers power Herald when He uses this class).

General tips: On Shiro use the heal to proc Planar Protection when facing a ranged attacker to vane their projectiles while doing our own burst; start fights using aunto attacks or sb #2 to force foes to waste eveades or blocks before releasing our ccs or burst. If you land sb #5 on Shiro release Sevenshots and swap to Jalis to release Forced Engagement and keep bursting. Abuse Inspiring Reinforcement, the mobility of Shiro and the damage mitigation from Jalis. With those tools + the block, blind, weakness and hard cc from the staff you should be very hard to take down fast in a fight. You should try to fight at range and in sb most of the time. Fighting necros with this build is fun, just don't waste burst while they are on their Shroud. I run this build in PvP when the enemy team has more necros or Rangers/DH than ours, while going power Herald most of the time or swapping to support Guard if ours has more necros but no support.

bEing said that, power Herald is still the strongest PvP/roaming build while played at max level of skill that the Revenant has. 

WvW build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmgAUZlxQHsOqhxROMP6hRSfMCKgl+U2LF-zRhYBREQGmZwsRBUKRGBZGCdkAhUACPLL6pB-e

PvP build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmgAUZlxQHsOqhxROMP6hRSfMCKgl+U2LF-zZIPlMFC9KCSYCUyCQDDA

That build of yours is great (overpowered) for duels, specially on WvW where you can be carried by either Trailblazer or Celestial stats. For 5vs5 or 3vs3 isn't that good because your condition pressure is not that good on a map where you can be countered by literally every enemy that moves around corners, not to mention fighting against multiple PvP foes that usually are better than WvW foes. And of course, you don't have a Celestial or Trailblazer amulet, so being carried by the stats is harder.

In my personal opinion the best way to survive on sPvP is not stacking vitality or toughness, but putting heavy pressure and kiting the enemy, and on that Power Herald is better, IMO, but it is also harder to play than Renegade.

• Like 1

Builds for 2s and 3s can be a bit different in terms of what works. 

I find that the condi herald build that usually lags behind Shiro Shortbow and Power Herald in Conquest often is ideal:

https://guildjen.com/2021/08/23/condition-herald-pvp-build/

However, if you have a support, your standard power herald build can work, although is probably best with a Marauder's amulet.

A variant of Shiro Shortbow can be good for some matchups as well if you run Kalla instead of Shiro.  This is because the maps tend to be small and you can trait for protection on summons.

Depending on your matchup, some of these builds can be great or terrible.  Condi herald is probably the safest all-around build in my experience.

5 minutes ago, Telgum.6071 said:

That build of yours is great (overpowered) for duels, specially on WvW where you can be carried by either Trailblazer or Celestial stats. For 5vs5 or 3vs3 isn't that good because your condition pressure is not that good on a map where you can be countered by literally every enemy that moves around corners, not to mention fighting against multiple PvP foes that usually are better than WvW foes. And of course, you don't have a Celestial or Trailblazer amulet, so being carried by the stats is harder.

In my personal opinion the best way to survive on sPvP is not stacking vitality or toughness, but putting heavy pressure and kiting the enemy, and on that Power Herald is better, IMO, but it is also harder to play than Renegade.

In general, I agree with an offensive > defensive approach for rev builds, but I think you do often need a bit more defense for 2s/3s, particularly on the small maps since there's less room to avoid cleave and kite.  I wouldn't go beyond running a tankier (divinity, dolyak, etc.) rune or marauder amulet over berserker amulet for most anything though.

24 minutes ago, Telgum.6071 said:

I agree. Recently completed the AT achievement to craft Trascendence and in most of my matches I was running a power Herald.  I also used the power Renegade sometimes when I though that the enemy team access to AoE disruption (mostly fear pulses from necros) would be too much for fighting at mele range effectively, and in that cases Renebow worked well. But overall power Herald is stronger, specially vs plat+ players and vs comformed teams.

On 12/17/2021 at 12:41 AM, Buran.3796 said:

I agree. Recently completed the AT achievement to craft Trascendence and in most of my matches I was running a power Herald.  I also used the power Renegade sometimes when I though that the enemy team access to AoE disruption (mostly fear pulses from necros) would be too much for fighting at mele range effectively, and in that cases Renebow worked well. But overall power Herald is stronger, specially vs plat+ players and vs comformed teams.

Can you show me what is that power build than on certain situations is better than herald? I'm genuinely curious because in my experience Renegade can't put much pressure on range, but it is true that sometimes going full melee as Herald can be a suicide.

On 12/18/2021 at 5:05 PM, Telgum.6071 said:

Can you show me what is that power build than on certain situations is better than herald? I'm genuinely curious because in my experience Renegade can't put much pressure on range, but it is true that sometimes going full melee as Herald can be a suicide.

Is the one for PvP I linked above. As a general rule every time the enemy team has 1 necro more than ours, I flip from power Herald to a power Renegade. I known how to deal vs a necro in a 1 vs 1 duel in an area with a lot of space, but small skirmishes in which you need to deal both with necro's ccs and ccs from other foes are just too much (and two necros are a certain death and makes you useless because you're entirely melee and Herald only has two breakstuns and no stability), whereas as Renebow I can deal a lot of damage at range and use some stability and negate enemy projectiles for a while.

• 3 weeks later...