Is there a regional pricing policy for gw2?

Hi everyone,

I hope you all had a great christmas.

I bought gw2 back in 2012 and played for a while. I liked the game and the community but had to quit because of real life issues. Now, after 7 years I wanted to start again and saw there are 2 expansion packs plus one is on its way. I really want to play the game but the recent crisis in Turkey makes it almost impossible for me to buy all 3 expacs (50euros=800 Turkish liras). I was wondering if there is a regional pricing policy or local sellers in Turkey.

My best wishes to all.

Stay safe and secure.

36 minutes ago, kaiser soze.4605 said:

Hi everyone,

I hope you all had a great christmas.

I bought gw2 back in 2012 and played for a while. I liked the game and the community but had to quit because of real life issues. Now, after 7 years I wanted to start again and saw there are 2 expansion packs plus one is on its way. I really want to play the game but the recent crisis in Turkey makes it almost impossible for me to buy all 3 expacs (50euros=800 Turkish liras). I was wondering if there is a regional pricing policy or local sellers in Turkey.

My best wishes to all.

Stay safe and secure.

No but maybe try to get an american to buy it for you.

50 dollar is only 44 Euro.

46 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

No but maybe try to get an american to buy it for you.

50 dollar is only 44 Euro.

Thank you very much  linken but theres not much diffirence.

39 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Turkey isn't on the list of regional retailers, but you might find someone near?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/retailers/

Thank you Inculpatus, I took a look in that list and coulnt find a better deal than Arena.net offers.

Since ı can't get the dlcs for now, do you recommend me to start playing without them?

15 hours ago, kaiser soze.4605 said:

Since ı can't get the dlcs for now, do you recommend me to start playing without them?

Definitely yes. At least you get to know if you still enjoy the game enough to actually spend money on it. And discounts do happen from time to time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think anyone realizes the game population shrinks more and more each time players are forced to buy expansions or be left out because there is no regional pricing. It's not aimed at bringing new players and thousands of current players won't be buying it because of the price or the lack of interesting features. 2022 is looking so bleak for Cantha, massive population decrease is coming.

• Confused 3

8 minutes ago, choon.6308 said:

I don't think anyone realizes the game population shrinks more and more each time players are forced to buy expansions or be left out because there is no regional pricing. It's not aimed at bringing new players and thousands of current players won't be buying it because of the price or the lack of interesting features. 2022 is looking so bleak for Cantha, massive population decrease is coming.

The game population will shrink to zero when Anet closes shop because they have no money. 

15 minutes ago, choon.6308 said:

That is not reflected in any metrics. At least not for successful expansions.

Best example: FF14 and its recent expansions. It not only had many players return, it also had a ton of new players pick up the game. So many in fact that Square Enix had to temporarily discontinue the sale of new accounts as to not overburden the servers (https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/16/22839415/final-fantasy-14-sales-suspended-servers-over-capacity-digital-physical).

Expansions are known to have players return. It's one of the main draws of expansions versus continuous content. The question is only how the relation ship is between returning players versus players who will not be purchasing the expansion (which is not synonymous with players stopping playing the game. There might very well be a lot of players who do not purchase EoD on release and which continue to play the game nonetheless).

That said, and as harsh as this might sound: players who are unable to purchase an expansion at this low a cost are likely not the primary contributors to revenue for this game to begin with.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

That is not reflected in any metrics. At least not for successful expansions.

Metrix are usually deceiving, they are used for marketing purposes and companies simply lie to themselves to believe they have reached a quota. A certain popular game launched last November, it was coattailing on the previous game's success. It turned out very disappointing, playerbase have declined by 80% in 2 months. However, according to the company it's the most successful and best game in the series yet. "Accounts created" or "game downloads" does not reflect the active population at all. They conveniently forgot to exclude the "played for 10 minutes and uninstalled" crowd which was about 80% of their metrics but they need the numbers. Heck, I'm sure many unknown, lost in history online games I've tried in the last 15 years and forgot they even existed count me in their active numbers and "success".

Let's hope you are right. I don't wanna come back here mid 2022 and bring metrics that show the playerbase is barely half of what it was post PoF launch. Population already have declined massively after the IBS fiasco. EoD betas have been very bland and underwhelming compared to HoT and PoF as well. I don't see any scenario where the population increases. The decrease might get slower for a little while but that'll only be temporary before it leaks even faster.

I'm sure the "metrics" will be spectecular, no doubt. But very sad state for a once popular game.

Edited by choon.6308
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, choon.6308 said:

Metrix are usually deceiving, they are used for marketing purposes and companies simply lie to themselves to believe they have reached a quota.

Right.

A certain popular game launched last November, it was coattailing on the previous game's success. It turned out very disappointing, playerbase have declined by 80% in 2 months. However, according to the company it's the most successful and best game in the series yet.

I wasn't talking about press announcements. I was talking about metrics (more on that later).

"Accounts created" or "game downloads" does not reflect the active population at all. They conveniently forgot to exclude the "played for 10 minutes and uninstalled" crowd which was about 80% of their metrics but they need the numbers. Heck, I'm sure many unknown, lost in history online games I've tried in the last 15 years and forgot they even existed count me in their active numbers and "success".

All you need to do is research: Quarterly Revenue NCSoft. Then take a look at the past years. Then take a look at Guild Wars 2, and you'll get a very accurate representation of how the game performs.

As far as forgetting stuff, that's you not understanding what type of data developers and companies actually have available. Small pointer: the developers recently made infusion drop immediately instead of as an upgrade in an item. Their reasoning was that a vast majority of players salvaged said items with not appropriate salvage kits, thus having a chance on losing out on the infusion.

We are talking developers having access to information of which salvage kits are being used by each individual player, retention rates of upgrades, etc. If you assume they can't differentiate between how long players play, that's plain ignorance.

Let's hope you are right. I don't wanna come back here mid 2022 and bring metrics that show the playerbase is barely half of what it was post PoF launch. Population already have declined massively after the IBS fiasco. EoD betas have been very bland and underwhelming compared to HoT and PoF as well. I don't see any scenario where the population increases. The decrease might get slower for a little while but that'll only be temporary before it leaks even faster.

Both expansions in the past, HoT and PoF, lead to a significant revenue increase both during launch as well as for a period post expansion, followed by a steady decline of revenue after. You can easily verify this by reading up on the NCSoft financials (which they are required to provide as a publicly traded company). This might not be related to player increases (unlikely), which would matter little if it is beneficial to the bottom line and helps make the game stay around.

I'm sure the "metrics" will be spectecular, no doubt. But very sad state for a once popular game.

I'm not sure you understand the difference between actual metrics and announcements.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

That said, and as harsh as this might sound: players who are unable to purchase an expansion at this low a cost are likely not the primary contributors to revenue for this game to begin with.

It must be  easy to say for someone who earns euro or dollar. But here in my country 15 million people earn less than 300 dollars per month and 25m people earn around 600 dollars per month. I am not trying to dramatise the situation only wanted to learn if there is a cheaper option for me to buy the game. 

Thank you everyone for your comments.  I will continue playing the base game for now and will wait for a better deal.

Have a good new year and stay safe.

Edited by kaiser soze.4605
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

All you need to do is research: Quarterly Revenue NCSoft. Then take a look at the past years. Then take a look at Guild Wars 2, and you'll get a very accurate representation of how the game performs.

I don't care about their earnings, I don't work for the company. That's how a shill thinks usually and insert that argument to wherever they see fit. 10 whales bring more income than 1000 new players, that's irrelevant. I'm talking about population size. You can cheer for their earnings while sitting in a deserted map in your spare time, trying to convince yourself "wow, this game is better than it has ever been. Re read my earlier post, I don't think you comprehended what was said at all.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, choon.6308 said:

I don't care about their earnings, I don't work for the company. That's how a shill thinks usually and insert that argument to wherever they see fit. 10 whales bring more income than 1000 new players, that's irrelevant. I'm talking about population size. You can cheer for their earnings while sitting in a deserted map in your spare time, trying to convince yourself "wow, this game is better than it has ever been. Re read my earlier post, I don't think you comprehended what was said at all.

You can not care all you want. I brought up revenue because it often has a relationship to player count.

I don't cheer for any earnings, even if earnings is of substantial importance to the continued support of the franchise. I said your claim was bogus and you have yet to provide ANY meaningful argument OR source that would show otherwise.

You might do well to consider WHY maps are deserted. Maybe it has to do with the fact that there hasn't been an expansion in 5 years?

To cut this short: as mentioned, past expansions for this franchise (both GW1 and GW2) always resulted in higher revenue post expansion. Doesn't matter if it is from whales, new players (who can also be whales btw), or w/e. Expansions have always lead to an increase in revenue so far.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 3