Gunsaber into Sheath, Gunsaber as greatsword

Azor Ahai.6795

Hey Anet,

can you please make the gunsaber considered as a greatsword by the mechanics?

That way the traits would make more sense.

But more importantly, can you please make the warrior put his Gunblade back into its sheath while not in use?

Currently he is just holding it in his hand, even out of combat. We cannot put it away manually, like we can with other weapons, we can just switch to normal weapons. It doesnt make sense, that he can only use the sheath to load its Dragon Trigger. I would love to see the sheath out of combat.
Also the F1 Skill is called unsheathe Gunsaber, which is a bit weird, since we didnt see the sheath before and just hold a naked blade in the hand.

I imagine it like that:

The Sheath can be seen always (bonus if you can deactivate it just like normal weapons, helmets, gloves etc.) 

Though it cannot be seen if you wear single hand weapons, just when you have two handed weapons like a greatsword on your back. That decision is mostly to avoid clipping with those single hand weapons. 

Most importantly it has to be seen while in gunsaber mode out of combat, with the blade inside its sheath. 

Having the gunblade active while going into combat pulls the sword from its sheath. 

Dragon Trigger puts its back into the sheath to load it up like it already does. 

But we can also switch back to normal weapons with the gunsaber inside its sheath.

It takes away some taste, when im fighing with an axe, press F2 to Dragon Trigger and suddenly a sword is appearing on our waist that wasnt there before and i have to load it up inside its sheath. Because of the big role of the sheath it should be seen always, at least while gunsaber is equipped. 

It absolutely doesnt make sense, that the blade is disappearing when my character is dancing, or sitting, but that the sheath is still visible, without a blade inside it.
I want a nice animation, how the character pulls the sword outside the sheath when he goes into combat and how he puts it back when he gets out of combat.

Also in consideration of real life Iaido, the martial art, that specialized into killing enemies with the first sword blow out of its sheath, the Dragon Trigger should be accessible from the beginning. 

My idea would be, that the higher the flow you have at any moment, the faster the Dragon Trigger will be load up to maximum. 

So if you use dragon trigger from the beginning, it will load up very very slowly, and with rising flow/adrenaline after getting into combat, the Dragon trigger will load up faster and faster.

But if you are already right in the middle of a fight and have full flow/adrenaline, the dragon trigger will be load up to maximum almost in an instant like it actually does in the moment.

Overall I like the Gunsaber, how he feels and plays, his damage and speed, his flow generation... but the game doenst take full use out of the Iaido inspiration and the sheath it uses.

Edited by Beren.1503
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2022 at 10:03 AM, Beren.1503 said:

But more importantly, can you please make the warrior put his Gunblade back into its sheath while not in use?

I don't know about making it recognized as a greatsword, but I really, really, really want my bladesworn to be able to sheath is gunblade out of combat. Both Li and Rama do it (for a long time on Rama it was always just an empty sheath, but it seems to have been fixed and now the gunblade itself is properly sheathed), so we know it's at least visually possible.

• Like 8

Yeah idk about all the mechanical stuff but please let us have the gunsaber sheathed, it would be so slick to use 5 to unsheath and dart forward like a mini dragon trigger 2. Not to mention i would like to be able to idle and for people to see i'm a Bladesworn without holding my blade out all the time in town looking like a maniac ^_^

• Like 1

I don’t see the point of labeling gunsaber as GS. Almost nobody takes the trait that buffs GS anyway (the trait below it is more appealing since the vitality bonus is too good). But yeah there has to be a way to sheath the gunsaber. It’s bad running around with sharp objects.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Eaglebach.7593 said:

I don’t see the point of labeling gunsaber as GS. Almost nobody takes the trait that buffs GS anyway (the trait below it is more appealing since the vitality bonus is too good). But yeah there has to be a way to sheath the gunsaber. It’s bad running around with sharp objects.

GS traits have their use in some game modes, so I would love to see Gunblade which is a GS be recognized as a GS for the might spam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 12:16 PM, Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485 said:

It should be its own thing, why shoehorn it into great sword for no reason, it is not a greatsword

What is it then? Because it can shoot bullets its not a Sword anymore? The problematic here is, by using gunblade we lose access to one of our Weapons. So if you have skilled traits that buff only swords , greatswords or axes most of the time you wont get these buffs. And those weapon-traits are like 5-10% of the traits we can choose from. The bad part is, you cant take multiple of them, like if i take the greatsword + sword traits, because i run around with those weapons in PvE. During combat, either i will have access to sword/gunblade, which makes the greatsword trait useless, or i will have access to greatsword/gunblade which makes the sword trait useless.

Edited by Beren.1503

13 hours ago, Beren.1503 said:

What is it then? Because it can shoot bullets its not a Sword anymore? The problematic here is, by using gunblade we lose access to one of our Weapons. So if you have skilled traits that buff only swords , greatswords or axes most of the time you wont get these buffs. And those weapon-traits are like 5-10% of the traits we can choose from. The bad part is, you cant take multiple of them, like if i take the greatsword + sword traits, because i run around with those weapons in PvE. During combat, either i will have access to sword/gunblade, which makes the greatsword trait useless, or i will have access to greatsword/gunblade which makes the sword trait useless.

Its its own thing. Why pigeonhole it into something it is not? Its ok to have a new weapon in the game, making it a greatsword is uninteresting and dull when we already have access to greatswords.

14 hours ago, Lighter.5631 said:

instead of a kit, just make it a proper mode, like holo forge, reaper shroud, fb tomes..and it will be able to sheath..

Arguably, the fact it is it's own thing Is the reason why it cannot properly sheathe, because everything you listed is essentially classified as a Bundle, an item or skill that replaces your existing skill. They're similar to engineer kits in that regard. 

The problem comes with the need to animate something that is not in use on the character. If you think about it, no such thing exists. The closest I can think of is the Virtuoso blades, and they're ammo, not a bundle, as they react to skills you already have active, they do not replace anything.

I could think of them designing a backpack that is set as a sheath on the hip instead though. They could design it slightly smaller than the animated sheath so the bigger bundle overwrite it for exemple.