Volatile Unbreakable Gathering Tools Vs The Infinite Animated Gathering Tools

Two things here: The infinite tools themselves are a big QoL in that you don't have to keep buying them and carrying extras with you.

The glyph in a tool gives you a bonus when you gather, so you want glyphs that are beneficial to you. I use the unbound still, but swap in a volatile at times.

I've been around since the beginning, so have extras, but wouldn't recommend buying more than one set of tools and one set of glyphs. And since you can buy tools with the glyphs included, just do that.

2 hours ago, Otto Ohlendorf.3128 said:

Hello all, waiting for the Volatile to be available in the Gem Store, but in the meantime, instead of waiting, would it be good for me to get the Infinite ones that have the animated animals?  Thanks again.

The infinite tool itself is just a different animation. Think of the infinite tools as skins for gathering, with unlimited uses.

The glyphs add onto the gathering node itself. The volatile that you're after all have volatile glyphs which give volatile magic in addition to what you're gathering. They're also unique gathering skins with infinite uses.

Not all infinite gathering tools come with glyphs, so check to see if they do, and if you're interested in that glyph.

As for your question of waiting or not, it's really at your own discretion. Infinite tools are account bound, so you can switch them between all your characters. It's not a big drawback to have multiple infinite tools or sets, but if you're specifically after the volatile set - and think that's all you'll probably use - then I'd say wait.

I have three sets...volatile magic, unbound magic, and unbreakable with glyphs.  I bought the unbreakable to use until the volatile set came back around for sale. Without glyphs though, they're not that interesting and those can be expensive.  So always check the glyphs on what you buy to see if it's something you value.  You can buy consumable tools for karma that collect a variety of things, and make do until they come back. 

I like running them on different characters and depending on my needs at the time.  It's really up to you, just depends on how many gems you want to spend.  

24 minutes ago, Otto Ohlendorf.3128 said:

Thanks, but it seems that I would make the most money with the volatile unbreakable tools, right?  

unless you go out of your way to harvest stuff every day for 30mins, i would recommend a permanent merchant contract (450-600g) before permanent tools

55 minutes ago, Otto Ohlendorf.3128 said:

Thanks, but it seems that I would make the most money with the volatile unbreakable tools, right?  

Yes.  You can buy mats with them that sell very well and normally for a decent profit.  Also helpful if you need mats for a legendary if you choose to craft one some day.