Did the skiff change color?

• RabbitUp.8294 changed the title to Did the skiff change color?
58 minutes ago, RabbitUp.8294 said:

Now I feel like an idiot and wish I had taken a screenshot. As soon as I changed maps it went back to normal. Note that I summoned and unsummoned the skiff multiple times, and it didn't make a difference, only map change did. Odd bug.

sounds like one of DX11 beta bugs 🙂

(I for example often get the "energy glow" colour on my synergetics hoverbike to go red)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

sounds like one of DX11 beta bugs 🙂

(I for example often get the "energy glow" colour on my synergetics hoverbike to go red)

This "texture corruption bug", as Anet called it, should have been fixed with last week's patch. At least on my PC with a GTX 1080Ti card the bug seems to be gone now. Maybe you have to update drivers as well.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JSmooth.7654 said:

I'm still using DX9 ( I tried 11 and swapped back after crashing). I've seen on more than one occasion where other player's skiffs will change color when swapping between anchored and moving.

Seen this a lot and I'm also using dx9. Happens when someone fishing on their skiff comes in to my view range - it will often look as the default red color (on the dragon skiff all color channels look red). When they finish and use/board to move the skiff it suddenly changes to the set color scheme they have on it. Haven't tested with dx11.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheWaternymphHC.1847 said:

This "texture corruption bug", as Anet called it, should have been fixed with last week's patch. At least on my PC with a GTX 1080Ti card the bug seems to be gone now. Maybe you have to update drivers as well.

They said they have fixed "texture corruption bug" but it does not mean they have managed to fix all the possible rendering bugs that may sound close to it. in particular the one I stated is not tied to texture in itself, but the dye channel on on a handfull of things.

41 minutes ago, JSmooth.7654 said:

I'm still using DX9 ( I tried 11 and swapped back after crashing). I've seen on more than one occasion where other player's skiffs will change color when swapping between anchored and moving.

mine often deploys as mono-darkish-red only to load the colours once I mount it

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheWaternymphHC.1847 said:

Just out of curiosity what kind of SSD (SATA, NVMe, Optane) are guys using for your GW2 installation? Personally I notice that skin load delay only occasionally  in very crowded areas when playing in UHD.

I'm using the 1TB version of Samsung's M.2 NVMe 970 EVO Plus. Up to date and no problems with loading times.

2 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

They said they have fixed "texture corruption bug" but it does not mean they have managed to fix all the possible rendering bugs that may sound close to it. in particular the one I stated is not tied to texture in itself, but the dye channel on on a handfull of things.

It seems to be the same bug, at least on nVidia cards. I haven't checked it on my main system with AMD GPU yet. Since I use the Exo-Suit outfits and mount skins on my main characters, I got used to what you describe very well in the effect color channel (#4). Judging from the pile of crashlogs submitted to Anet and the experiments I did on different GPUs/drivers/settings, it was caused by one the post-processing filters that either encountered a corrupted buffer or a misaligned pointer somewhere. Sometimes it would just load solid colors like the red glow on my mounts or solid blue tree leafs on saplings. Other times it just loaded lower (pixelated) mip-levels of textures, especially often inside the Rata Sum home instance when looking back at the Rata Sum cube.

I could easily reproduce it when opening other programs (chrome-based apps/browsers, other games, Unreal editor, Substance Painter, etc.) that are also hardware accelerated while playing GW2. Never encountered it on my nVidia based system again since the patch. If you are on a current AMD GPU, it could be different since the drivers still seem to have issues with SAM enabled in certain games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheWaternymphHC.1847 said:

It seems to be the same bug, at least on nVidia cards. I haven't checked it on my main system with AMD GPU yet. Since I use the Exo-Suit outfits and mount skins on my main characters, I got used to what you describe very well in the effect color channel (#4). Judging from the pile of crashlogs submitted to Anet and the experiments I did on different GPUs/drivers/settings, it was caused by one the post-processing filters that either encountered a corrupted buffer or a misaligned pointer somewhere. Sometimes it would just load solid colors like the red glow on my mounts or solid blue tree leafs on saplings. Other times it just loaded lower (pixelated) mip-levels of textures, especially often inside the Rata Sum home instance when looking back at the Rata Sum cube.

I could easily reproduce it when opening other programs (chrome-based apps/browsers, other games, Unreal editor, Substance Painter, etc.) that are also hardware accelerated while playing GW2. Never encountered it on my nVidia based system again since the patch. If you are on a current AMD GPU, it could be different since the drivers still seem to have issues with SAM enabled in certain games.

I am not using NVIDIA gpu, and I think that "texture corruption" was rather pointing towards the fact that sometimes, some textures on DX11 rendered would not render at all (leaving whole area where said texture should be as pure black)

currently playing on AMD Vega 8 if memory serves (GPU integrated into Ryzen 5s CPUs), and tbh I have never tried to purposefully reproduce it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheWaternymphHC.1847 said:

Interesting... maybe it's not related to SSDs then or I'm just too picky after years of modding Bethesda games with high-fidelity re-textures.

I'd say the mount skin loading thing is different. Happens to me also esp in crowded areas and/or after a map change. I don't see this on other player mounts, only with my own and it affects the skin not the colors.
On the other hand the skiff color change I never see on my skiff, it keeps the colors I have on it. I see it only with other players skiffs when they use/board it that's when suddenly the colors change.

• Like 1