It’s 2022, isn’t it time we made armor styles interchangeable?

1 hour ago, Ausar.9542 said:

But shouldnt this be a player choice if thats the case?

Because I remember this being the same argument used by the developers for not including Capes, which people asked for, for a while. And we see Capes and Back Models work just fine, clipping and all. 

If Anet didnt like clipping so much, they wouldnt have made Charr a playable race. 

I don't think that it should be a player's choice.  Perception is everything.  If players are running around in armor sets that don't mesh well, it would just look bad and GW2 would get a reputation that their fashions are terrible.  I'd imagine Anet wouldn't want that.

As for capes, they hadn't been introduced yet and Anet took some time to figure out how to get them to (mostly) work.  To make interchangeable armor, they would have to start from the beginning and that would take a lot of time and resources.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/21/2022 at 10:58 AM, Depths.4051 said:

It’s been 84 years… and still no interchangeable armor skins. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some outfits, because the games does have many well made outfits. However I do sometimes like to feel a little unique with my look, and that’s when I’ll drop the outfit for my armor skins. The only thing about this is that I am quite limited in choices when considering medium armor thats attractive. I would absolutely love to throw on some light and heavy armor pieces in conjunction with possibly some medium. Idk if it’s a coding problem, or if the meshes need to altered, but I feel this is something that would be a really huge step in the games end game fashion. 

Do you mean interchangeable between weight, race or gender?

On 3/21/2022 at 5:58 AM, Depths.4051 said:

It’s been 84 years… and still no interchangeable armor skins. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some outfits, because the games does have many well made outfits. However I do sometimes like to feel a little unique with my look, and that’s when I’ll drop the outfit for my armor skins. The only thing about this is that I am quite limited in choices when considering medium armor thats attractive. I would absolutely love to throw on some light and heavy armor pieces in conjunction with possibly some medium. Idk if it’s a coding problem, or if the meshes need to altered, but I feel this is something that would be a really huge step in the games end game fashion. 

If I recall each armor type use a different rig, with different anchor point. It does not make it impossible, but each skin would need to be manully port and ajust to each rig, wich is an insane amount of work. Thus said I dont work at anet and I dont know what the back end look like.

Being [current year] isn’t a reason to do anything. Other games are different because they are designed differently with different engines and different problems solved by different solutions.

Comparing GW2 to ESO is comparing apples to oranges, I mean hell, ESO is even playable across platforms whereas GW2 definitely isn’t. Very different design philosophy, especially considering that ESO was sold on wearing whatever you want, interchangeably as a feature.

They’d probably like to do something like this, but given how GW2 has been initially developed, a change like that would involve working from the ground up. Plus not to mention that ESO races all have very similar, if not, identical body types apart from the obvious gender, tails, and claws bit. In GW2, every race has a vastly different body type from each other.

Simply put, reworking the armour system so that you can retroactively combine different armour types on the same character model would take far more resources than Anet are prepared to allocate for what amounts to be an exceptionally minor feature.

Edited by Reknarok.7582
  • Like 1