Engineer is the most well balanced class at the moment for PVE

Ciel.8705

10 hours ago, Spie.5024 said:

Out of curiosity is it possible to do Condi quickness build on engineer? Like a sort of ritualist with nade kit and gyros build perhaps? 

Secondly how are the condi alac / condi power builds?  

Condi scrapper is bad. Condi quickness scrapper doubly so. But yeah, it can be made to maintain quickness.

I have a deja vu in here, last time I've seen specific class forum have a thread claiming that this class is actually most well-balanced class in the game, with rest of the forums complaining how it is not, it was guardian forums, and it was somewhere around HoT launching.....

On a funny note, that claim of gaurdian being best balanced back then was using virtually same arguments as are being used now in this thread.

Sorry for not adding much to the topic, it's just my tiny observasion on history repeating itself 🙂

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 3/25/2022 at 9:46 AM, Ciel.8705 said:

and it is disheartening to see people cheerleading for nerf Mechanist instead of calling for better balancing of their/other classes to achieve what Engineer as a whole have achieved.

and what Engineer as a whole have achieved, say, in OW PVE?

Edited by taara.3217

On 3/25/2022 at 5:38 PM, Jerus.4350 said:

Mechanist does need some nerfing though, we just need a scalpel not the axe.  We don't want even more Powercreep in this game, it was bad enough with HoT and even worse with PoF, and yeah, lets not do more of that, please. 

Mechanist isn't the only thing needing a nerf though, from EoD I'd say at least Harbinger and Virtuoso are both there as well, and maybe Guardian if what I've heard is correct.   A lot of PoF and HoT specs could use a bit of shaving as well.  I miss a few core builds, and I wish they were at least not terribly uncompetative, and I also don't like that so much old content just falls over.

Virtuoso only really provides DPS, and they wanted mesmers to have a good pdps option. Chrono isn't that great with DPS post-nerfs, and virtuoso can't do everything... unlike mechanist.

Same with harbringer- necro did not have a boon support spec, only a barrier healer spec (which, granted, does amazing condi as well, but its not like core necro has no condi dps options or anything). Necro got something to round itself out, and it's strong, but as far as I am aware not dominating anything.

Mechanist, on the other hand, has everything I hate about firebrands going for it. Way too much boon coverage with good DPS options as well (the harriers stat boon healer can do 8k DPS... far from normal for your average healer). It needs an axe for one of it's options, and I'm not so sure it needs a healer option, with scrapper being there...

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

It's quite delicate to undo the "healer" options from mech seeing as the heals come from core - the insane thing about mech is that you got a full barrier build + all the core healing + Alacrity + tons of boons(only a few boons it cant do only major one missing is quickness ofc since it got alac). Aoe stunbreak/aegis and cleanses. etc etc man it has everything stuffing into 1 specc.

So, when you talking about removing healing from it if you actually remove the heals you rip core healing and scapper etc. But yea they could honestly change the barrier to be mech and engineer only and that would still keep the mech strong in own play but scale down it having everything for everyone.

Edited by Crackmonster.2790
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Crackmonster.2790 said:

It's quite delicate to undo the "healer" options from mech seeing as the heals come from core - the insane thing about mech is that you got a full barrier build + all the core healing + Alacrity + tons of boons(only a few boons it cant do only major one missing is quickness ofc since it got alac). Aoe stunbreak/aegis and cleanses. etc etc man it has everything stuffing into 1 specc.

So, when you talking about removing healing from it if you actually remove the heals you rip core healing and scapper etc. But yea they could honestly change the barrier to be mech and engineer only and that would still keep the mech strong in own play but scale down it having everything for everyone.

Maybe move some core healing to the toolbelt as Mechanist doesn't have it ?

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

Virtuoso only really provides DPS, and they wanted mesmers to have a good pdps option. Chrono isn't that great with DPS post-nerfs, and virtuoso can't do everything... unlike mechanist.

Same with harbringer- necro did not have a boon support spec, only a barrier healer spec (which, granted, does amazing condi as well, but its not like core necro has no condi dps options or anything). Necro got something to round itself out, and it's strong, but as far as I am aware not dominating anything.

Mechanist, on the other hand, has everything I hate about firebrands going for it. Way too much boon coverage with good DPS options as well (the harriers stat boon healer can do 8k DPS... far from normal for your average healer). It needs an axe for one of it's options, and I'm not so sure it needs a healer option, with scrapper being there...

My comment on Virtuoso was more towards the Condi build that has both incredible DPS and sustain.  IMO I think the DPS should be cut back a good bit and the sustain remain on that build (with the idea Mirage = cDPS, pVirt = pDPS, and cVirt = easy mode cDPS).  But overall my point was more about Power Creep in general and that all these 40k+ bench builds (mechanist included) should probably be shaved down to high 30k's to match previous builds so we're not just incrementally pushing DPS higher and higher every expansion.

I don't disagree that Heal mechanist is another Firebrand, that's why I think it's "ok" and "not ok" at the same time.  It's "fine" if FB is going to stay as is, it's not if we care about power creep and are going to address these overly compressed heal roles.  

As Crackmonster hit on, addressing hMech's defensive capabilities, it's going to take some major reworks.  Whoever thought adding barrier to Engi was a good idea obviously didn't know just how much healing potential core Engi has. All of the Barrier could be removed and hMech would still likely keep it's current spot in gameplay, things just wouldn't be as easy.  But, then they need to rework the Mechanist Mace, Barrier Signet, and 2 traits.  That's probably the direction I'd go if I were looking to bring the defensive capabilities down.  If this were to happen I'd very much like my heal skill back on Medkit so I could utilize those traits and have some burst healing for myself.

As far as hScrapper, it's honestly just a crappy HB with superspeed (which makes it amazing in WvW).  If hScrapper was THE heal build for Engi I'd like some reworks there, at least the suicidal element of Bulwark Gyro would be nice so I could bring even a small amount of Stability without either losing quickness uptime or committing suicide.   That would still leave us with minimal stability, minimal might, basically no fury, minimal projectile defense, and just not up to snuff compared to other heal options in organized PVE thanks to the condensed roles we're all used to now.  Raw healing only means so much, if you can keep your group topped off with 3k healing/sec then having 6k healing/sec is basically useless, there's a reason hScrapper wasn't popular.

• Confused 1

On 3/25/2022 at 9:41 PM, Hotride.2187 said:

Didn't I see a video about auto attacking for 20k+ dps? I guess if that is where the game is supposed to be heading... its balanced.

theres also a 1 button rotation on mirage doing 35k DPS... so i mean.. are we really gonna talk the 20k+ DPS? 😛

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 6:10 PM, Daddy.8125 said:

theres also a 1 button rotation on mirage doing 35k DPS... so i mean.. are we really gonna talk the 20k+ DPS? 😛

yes because if Engineer becomes good in any way to make it more popular then the meme of Engineer being the worst and least played profession in the game will die.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1