Fishing - A Strange Diet - Are Some Of These Fish Bugged? - Seeking Help From Fishing Experts

So I've been working on this achievement: A Strange Diet - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

Here is what I've found so far in 3 days of spending all day fishing each day:

1. Halibut ✔️ - Found this within the first 30 minutes to an hour that I went looking for it.
  2. Unholy Mackerel ✔️ - Found this within the first 30 minutes to an hour that I went looking for it.
  3. Slaughterfish ✔️ - Found this within the first 30 minutes to an hour that I went looking for it.
  4. Goliath Grouper ✔️ - Found this within the first 30 minutes to an hour that I went looking for it.
  5. Muskellunge - Have not went looking for this yet. Was saving this for last because it can only be found at dusk or dawn.
  6. Dandan ✔️ - Found this within the first 30 minutes to an hour that I went looking for it. Actually I found two of them in that time.
  7. Sailfish - I have spent the last two days, nearly the majority of a 48 hour time span looking for this fish and have still have not found this fish.
  8. Swordfish ✔️ - Found this within the first 30 minutes to an hour that I went looking for it.
  9. Dark Sleeper - I have spent the last two days, nearly the majority of a 48 hour time span looking for this fish and have still have not found this fish.
  10. Chambered Nautilus ✔️ - Found this within the first 30 minutes to an hour that I went looking for it.
  11. Dunkleosteus ✔️ - Found two of these within the first 30 minutes to an hour that I went looking for it.

I've been using all the data from the GW2 wiki and its suggestions of how to catch these fish. All of the check marked fish I found easily in the first day. In the last two days, I have been literally trolling around Seitung Province & Echovald Wilds for hours and hours and hours at a time trying to find the Sailfish and the Dark Sleeper, doing little to nothing else with my day. I am doing so after about 75+ stacks on my boat with anywhere from about 825 to 850 fishing power before maps close and I have to reset the stacks. It is also interesting to point out that I have found three or four other legend fish that are not in this list that I wasn't even looking for.

My question is: What am I doing wrong? Are these fish bugged? Is the information on the GW2 wiki wrong? What's the deal here? It feels like something is off when the other legend fish were obtained rather easily with about only 100 to 150 baits, but then these two particular fish are eating through like thousands of bait stacks and not showing up. Is this normal? If it is, they can go ahead and decrease the rarity of those two fish. That's way too much of a time sink for +1 mastery point.

Any advice or information in general would be appreciated.

~ ty

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

My question is: What am I doing wrong?

My opinion: you're trying to force rng results, which imo is a recipe for frustration.

I'm not quite sure what information is on the wiki, but I can tell you that I caught them all simply going by the information available on the fishing achievement tabs in game (that is favorite bait, time of day, region and type of fishing hole, and minimizing conflicts with other potential catches).

I did not however try to catch them all in one go. I enjoy fishing, but only in small batches. I rarely fish for more than 10 holes in one go, often a lot less, which makes the whole thing feel a lot easier than it would feel if I'd try to force a specific catch. I'll often just fish in the region that iss daily for the day, and stay on for a few more fishing holes once the daily is done.

I honestly can't tell you how long it took to get all the fish for this achievement (I really wanted that turtle for my home instance 😉 ), but I did catch them all in the space of a few weeks, probably less than a month. I know of one or two that seemed elusive, but they would turn up after a few days anyway.

One thing I would recommend avoiding is leaving the "difficult" ones (that is the ones with the most restrictions, e.g. the dawn/dusk one from Ascalon) for last. It feels a lot easier to catch them if you just go there every couple of days and try inbetween catching other stuff (or better yet, playing other stuff), than if you know it's the last one missing and burn yourself out focussing on nothing but this one fish.

So my advice would be: don't focus on the achievement. Try for the missing fish whenever you have downtime and feel like it, but make sure to change things up and not fish until you're frustrated. They'll come eventually, and looking back it'll make no difference if you caught them all in a day or a week or a month. Once it's done, it's done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

RNG is what it is. For me it took a long time to catch Chambered Nautilus and even longer to get Swordfish. I'd say Muskellunge was the hardest but seems like the buff for dawn/dusk fish droprate helped since I caught it quite easily after the patch. It was the last one I needed.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

I'm not quite sure what information is on the wiki, but I can tell you that I caught them all simply going by the information available on the fishing achievement tabs in game (that is favorite bait, time of day, region and type of fishing hole, and minimizing conflicts with other potential catches).

I did not however try to catch them all in one go. I enjoy fishing, but only in small batches. I rarely fish for more than 10 holes in one go, often a lot less,

This is what I mean though.

You're telling me that you casually fished and found all of these fish in how long? 3 days? A couple weeks? A month's time?

RNG is RNG yes, but RNG is also probability. If you were to throw a 6 sided die 6x over the course of a week, roughly once per day, the results will likely yield 1 2 3 4 5 6. If you threw the die 6x in one day, it will also likely yield 1 2 3 4 5 6. If you threw the die 6x in an hour, it will still likely yield 1 2 3 4 5 6. If you threw the die 48x in an hour, it will likely yield 8x 1s - 8x 2s - 8x 3s - 8x 4s - 8x 5s - 8x 6s.

Do you see what I mean here? So if I am specifically fishing for say the Sailfish and doing nothing but seeking the Sailfish over the course of two days and using roughly 750 - 1000 correct bait attempts in the correct fish spots to do this, I should be finding the Sailfish if someone else can find it casually in less than 100 bait attempts, in the same way I also found every other legend fish.

Not trying to argue with you, just trying to clarify that something feels real off with these "fish drop rates" I guess you could call it. It makes me wonder if there are diminishing returns on the fish drop rates if you stay in an area too long or I don't know what's going on, just trying to figure out why finding these two fish is absurdly overly difficult to do. Is it time gated? Is there a secret time gate that we need to know about so people don't sit around wasting time? I'd like to know if this is the case.

I also want to point out that since my last post about this, I found:

1. [2 Bluefin Tuna] - legend fish
  2. [Dunkleosteus] - legend fish
  3. [Cuttlefish] - legend fish
  4. [Benthic Behemoth] - legend fish

It's like I'm finding EVERYTHING except the two fish I am very specifically fishing for, which feels very statistically off. I mean if I threw that 6 sided die 100 times and only found 1 2 3 4 5 but never a 6 in 100 attempts, that's just an anomaly, statistically.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I don't feel like this thread is the general idle complaint. Something feels off with the numbers here. Just trying to figure out what in-game mechanism is causing me to never roll a 6.

Yeah RNG is RNG but come on now. Probability is also real and when large strings of numbers occur that defy it, there is usually a hard programmed reason for it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

We don't know how Anet implemented the RNG component to the catch rates. There are a couple of ways this could have been done, some better than others. 

I wonder if the problem you're facing was implemented after they patched the rates for saltwater fishing. Depending on how the patch sat with the previous system, this could have made it more difficult for the normal fish to be caught.

Additionally, fishing power seems to be useless after you get green on fishing difficulty. It does not appear to affect the probability of catching a rarer fish.

I would put in a support ticket. I have completed all the fishing achievements, except saltwater, prior to the change in catch rates. I caught multiple of the purple fish before I even completed the normal saltwater achievement.

Edited by Hesione.9412
"I know I got" is worse than "I caught"
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Do you see what I mean here? So if I am specifically fishing for say the Sailfish and doing nothing but seeking the Sailfish over the course of two days and using roughly 750 - 1000 correct bait attempts in the correct fish spots to do this, I should be finding the Sailfish if someone else can find it casually in less than 100 bait attempts, in the same way I also found every other legend fish.

Sorry, but that's not how rng works. There's people that buy a lottery ticket every week and never win anything substantial, and there's people that only buy one in their whole life and hit the jackpot right away.

But that's not what I tried to say. What I tried to say was: random activities fell easiest if you don't concentrate on them. Don't count how much bait you used, don't count how many days you tried. Don't expect to finish a goal that involves rng in a set timeframe (much less asap). Instead, put that kind of achievement on your mental "nice to have" list of things you keep in mind when doing other activities. Fish at a couple of holes when you're in the area for map completion/world boss/resource farming/whatever else you enjoy that day. Do it again next time you pass such a fishing hole on different business.

As you rightly said, you're bound to catch the fish eventually. Random is random, and no matter how likely or unlikely and outcome is, it's not guaranteed. If you manage not to fixate on getting this one random drop (no matter if it's a fish, a god's statue, a drop from a specific enemy, wahtever), you'll find that it feels much easier to finish stuff. Time spent being worried or frustrated about rng results not happening in your favor in my opinion is time wasted.

Random results are nothing you can really "work towards". It's likely that most if not all such results will happen for you organically (and as such will not be memorable), but there's simply no guarantee.

Sincerely,

a person who still has a number of such achievements on her mental "nice to have" list but has finished a surprising amount of them without taking much notice of the time and "effort" involved

• Thanks 1

RNG is RNG yes, but RNG is also probability. If you were to throw a 6 sided die 6x over the course of a week, roughly once per day, the results will likely yield 1 2 3 4 5 6. If you threw the die 6x in one day, it will also likely yield 1 2 3 4 5 6. If you threw the die 6x in an hour, it will still likely yield 1 2 3 4 5 6. If you threw the die 48x in an hour, it will likely yield 8x 1s - 8x 2s - 8x 3s - 8x 4s - 8x 5s - 8x 6s.

This is unlikely.  It could happen, but more often than not, it wouldn't. 

2 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

Sorry, but that's not how rng works. There's people that buy a lottery ticket every week and never win anything substantial, and there's people that only buy one in their whole life and hit the jackpot right away.

Yes but the probability of never winning the mega millions is almost that you certainly won't, and that's why the extreme large majority of people who play the mega millions never win.

The probability of buying 1 ticket in your entire life and winning the mega millions is astronomically insanely low.

Probability is what I"m talking about here, not lady luck.

Also, you had said "I feel like you're trying to force the RNG". Yes, that's the idea. This is why people who actually play the mega millions lottery, buy several tickets a day. Because in all probability, you will not ever win the mega millions lottery without making many many attempts at doing so. This is not unsimilar to trying to find rare drops in an MMORPG.

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I don't mean in that exact order my dude.

I'm simply referencing that a 6 sider thrown 6 times regardless of the time span in which it happens, has an equal likelihood to roll each integer between 1 and 6, once each.

-> Probabilities For Sums Of Two 6-Sided Dice (Charts & Tables Included) – JDM Educational

Anyway, thank for the input guys.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

That assumes a discrete (because the values can only be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) uniform distribution. That may not be the RNG system used for fishing catches.

• Haha 1

I finally found the two fish after 4 days of searching and easily around 1000 bait used for each.

Now I'm searching for the Muskellunge and I do have to say, dawn/dusk only fish makes fishing not fun. 5 minute intervals to do what you need to do isn't enough and despite enhanced drop rate on the fish it isn't enhanced enough. Sure you could casually pop over to Ascalon each dawn/dusk to try and fish but this is simply a hassle to have to do and often interrupts other activities you are trying to do like completing events or instances or being caught in a pvp match as examples. It results in literally having to wait around for dawn/dusk 10 minutes early in an AFK state so your activities don't interfere with each other.

They ought to just throw out the idea of dawn/dusk only fish and make them either night or day.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I gave up on the Muskellunge. Taking way too long with dawn/dusk.

I went and finished the masteries I needed for 455 in other places.

It's too bad because that is the last fish I needed for the achievement & mastery.

Doing this achievement was an incredible waste of time.

Arenanet needs to make the dawn/dusk fish day or night.

~ Anyway, this is my closing post. Thanks for input guys.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1