Volatile Magic and Eternal Ice Shards into Gold

Hi all,

I know this topic has been addressed already in the past but I'd like to get a 2022 up-to-date opinion on what to do with Volatile Magic and Eternal Ice Shards: I currently have about 30k VM and several stacks of Shards. I've read several conflicting suggestions and I'd like to know which is best right now. Some say turn Shards into VM and buy ascended trinkets then recycle them (is it profitable, and if so what kind of recycling tool is needed?), some say turn into VM and buy trophy shipments, some suggest to convert T5 materials from the shipments into T6 at Mystic Forge (any hint on how to do that and is it more profitable than selling the T5 materials?)...

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Eukerion

Edited by Eukerion.9574
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I buy trophies for legendary crafting. 

Ascended trinket salvaging seems barely profitable. I think it only makes sense if you get ascended salvaging tools as drops in fractals. But then you also get trinket drops. I wouldnt do it via buying tools. But maybe Im wrong. 

As for t5 to t6 conversion. Most of the time trophies are profitable. Not always though. Im sure there are some online tools. I do convert them to t6 but Im not selling, hoard for crafting. 

6 hours ago, Eukerion.9574 said:

. Some say turn Shards into VM and buy ascended trinkets then recycle them (is it profitable, and if so what kind of recycling tool is needed?),

It is a bit gambling, if you have ask in the forums if it is profitable don't do it.

6 hours ago, Eukerion.9574 said:

Some say turn into VM and buy trophy shipments, some suggest to convert T5 materials from the shipments into T6 at Mystic Forge (any hint on how to do that and is it more profitable than selling the T5 materials?)...

Your turn ice shards (with karma mind you) into season 4 currencies. You consume those currencies to get VM. You buy trophies shipments With Volatile magic and gold. If you don't need trophies yourself you sell them. Now you have converted your volatile magic into gold. If you have time and Spirit shards you can convert T5 trophies into T6 trophies. Which doesn't increases your profit. It does convert spirit shards into gold. Depending on Trading post prices. Claw are always a loss if you convert them from T5 to T6 for example.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I'm just guessing, dont feel like researching but does it involve salvaging for the collection items? 

Yes. You have to acquire costly salvage kits, salvage dozen of amulets and get lucky. If you have to ask on the forums how to convert volatile magic into gold don't get into it.^^
Also if you don't know how to convert VM into gold you probably should keep some volatile magic to gear your character. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Make sure to check fast farming community website for current values. 

Usually leather and trophy shipments are of value, so convert Ice Shards in S4 mats and consune those for VM.

My personal approach is:

- convert to trophies

- convert T5 to T6 to get a but more gold out of this for using spirit shards

Buying leather shipments is the more direct approach but you don't get to double dip.

If you want to maximize this even further:

- check and track when certain items are highest in price and when lowest. Sell/buy accordingly

- convert or further refine specific materials if the refined item is of more value and you have the time 

Make sure not to run out of resources yourself which you might need in the future (for example spirit shards).

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/2/2022 at 10:47 AM, Albi.7250 said:

Yes. You have to acquire costly salvage kits, salvage dozen of amulets and get lucky. If you have to ask on the forums how to convert volatile magic into gold don't get into it.^^
Also if you don't know how to convert VM into gold you probably should keep some volatile magic to gear your character. 

Any suggestions on what to do with hatched Chili's? I'm literally destroying about 1000 of them a week because I have no space to put them. 

28 minutes ago, Strider.7849 said:

Any suggestions on what to do with hatched Chili's? I'm literally destroying about 1000 of them a week because I have no space to put them. 

Accept the cruel reality, that is your life now. Worthless. Absolut worthless. 1 hour a week the price of food spikes high enough so you could sell food for a couple of copper profit. But not worth it, keep destroying them. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2