List of Siege Turtle Bugs Not Yet Fixed

A lot of bugs with the beta Siege Turtle were found to be fixed once EoD launched. That's pretty great, but then ANET seemed to have forgotten it exists as they continued to not fix the myriad of remaining and new glitches until five whole months later. In August, some of those bugs were finally addressed, (ignoring the bug that was introduced in June and fixed a week later) but more still remain. In an effort to attract more attention to the remaining problems, I shall list and document the changes as l notice them. Even if not fixed, you will at least be aware of them after reading.

The Floating Slam (now only happens underwater)
If you execute the Slam attack while holding a midair jump, you will be suspended in the air until the Slam times out. This is by far the most inhibiting glitch because it disrupts the flow of combat for a solid two seconds and, if you aren't moving at all, you'll be forcibly dismounted as some weird kind of failsafe. But at the same time, this bug can be intentionally used to hover greater distances just before running out of stamina. Since this bug only happens underwater now, its use as an exploit is rather moot.

This is very easy to do by accident and on purpose, but it's kinda tricky to describe how it works... I'll give an alternate description: Hold jump for a sec, let go, hold space again to float, and use Slam shortly after while still holding space. You have a lot of leeway to use Slam, the window is very "generous".

Update: This glitch on land has returned, but it doesn't lock you up in the air anymore. Now, it lets you continue your hover while you stay in the slam animation. Doesn't look elegant, but it's not physically broken. The water glitch is still debilitating, though.

Cannot Jump After Slam Unless You Move (slightly fixed; can now turn to regain control)
The "control lag" after using Slam is different between moving and jumping. You can turn and move really soon after landing a Slam, but you cannot jump until the whole getup animation finishes or you interrupt it by moving or turning. This makes lone combat more awkward as you have to hold a direction after using Slam, then let go as soon as you start moving just to continue burning the enemy with Jump Jets. Though, admittedly, it does encourage you to use movement to time when to hold space, but I don't think many people will think to do that.

There also appears to be a definite bug related to this cooldown. Apparently, the Slam won't deal damage correctly if the skill's cooldown is shortened through alacrity, as stated here: 

Update: It would appear the glitched slam attack has been prevented, but instead you just don't perform a slam at all. This means you still need to hold a direction to cancel the animation in order for Alacrity to correctly allow an earlier Slam. This should not be necessary.

Slam's Underwater Cooldown Can Persist Outside of Water (No longer a bug since Slam's cooldown mechanics have changed)
The Slam's cooldown is lengthened by 1.5 seconds while underwater. Sometimes, however, that extra-long cooldown can forget to remove itself when you exit the water, leaving you with a nerfed Slam until you cleanly enter and exit the water again. This glitch seems to happen when rapidly hovering in and out of the water's surface or just by quickly exiting deep water as soon as the game considers you submerged...or it can just happen because you walked out of the water instead of jumped. It's pretty random. The opposite can also occur: you might have an un-nerfed Slam underwater!

Opinion: I don't think Slam should be suffering a cooldown penalty at all. It's already inferior to the Jump Jets' burning underwater, so why nerf it even more at that point?

Overdrive Changes Camera Zoom Level (still present)
Whenever the passenger skill Overdrive finishes its effect, the camera scrolls forward. This means every time Overdrive is used, you have to manually scroll your camera out to normal levels. This is different from the base game's glitch with cinematic zooms, as this physically alters your zoom level forward. This is an incredibly annoying thing to correct and it happens to me 100% of the time.

Opinion: Not related to the bug, but I think Overdrive should be a pilot skill, since there's rarely a time a passenger knows when to use it without sending the pilot careening into a wall, nor have I seen a passenger give a heads up that it's gonna be used. It could be a pilot skill that only appears when a passenger is seated; after all, the Jump Jets get an arbitrary damage boost with a passenger, so not much code to add.

Mounts Can Gain a Speed Boost When Dismounting Turtle (not fixed, still present)

If you dismount the turtle while running at full speed and hop onto a different mount before touching the ground, your mount will have a significant boost in speed that lasts until you stand still or walk. This speed boost is how the turtle's acceleration works, but the boost doesn't deactivate until your character touches the ground/water or the mount stands still. Thus, it is absolutely trivial to perform this with a griffon, and probably a skyscale, too, and this even affects gliding speed to a degree; default gliding is faster, but diving downward is sped up, too. On the flip side, getting this effect on a land mount is incredibly difficult and seems to require frame-perfect input or maybe very specific terrain. I have only been able to get this speed boost on a raptor and jackal one time for each.

But anyway, performing this glitch can also cause the turtle's camera style to persist on the new mount or even on foot. What's weirder is that half the time under the effects of this glitch on a griffon, the camera will zoom in every time you dive. These camera glitches are solved by dismounting and remounting normally, but they are certainly disorienting to encounter. Somehow, this aspect of the glitch seems to have been fixed.

Jump Jet Burning Stays Off if Holding on Cooldown (not fixed, still present)
This is more of an inconvenient oversight with the way Jump Jet burning cooldown works. If you jump and quickly re-hold jump, the jets will not inflict burning on enemies even after the cooldown is over. It would be best if the continuous burning effect reactivated if jump is currently being held once cooldown is over.

Jump Jet Burning Can Stay On When Not Hovering (difficult to test, but still present)
This is a rare bug where the Jump Jets burning hitbox can stay active even if you aren't holding space and are firmly on the ground. I have not been able to perform this glitch on purpose, but it seems to happen when using Slam just after Jump Jets are activated for a fraction of a second, maybe? The glitch definitely exists, though, and l never notice it before I cancel the effect with another Slam or jump.

Sliding Along the Ground After Turning (not fixed, still present)
This is actually a bug with all mounts, but it is most noticeable with the turtle. Ahem... Let's consider a 90-degree turn at running speed, where you move the camera to face the right, while holding W to turn. Now, while the mount is still turning itself, quickly let go of W, hold D for a short bit, then let go of D, and return to holding W. The mount should play a stopping animation while still moving at full speed, gliding along the ground awkwardly. It is a simple visual bug, but it's certainly something that should not happen.

Slam's Screen Shake Inconsistent

The screen shake from the Slam ability has quite a bit of inconsistency to it. Oftentimes, it will only occur from a certain height, but the weird thing is that height is randomly determined when you launch the game. Whatever height is chosen will stay that way until the game is closed and launched again.

Edited by Smoky.5348
Went through the list again
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Xerxez.7361 said:

Finding a problem is easier than fixing it.

The missing cornerstone in the cornerstone gamemode of GW2 has been bugged in the time Anet has done 2 full expansions, countless living story chapters and probably 100+ patch releases, including tiny PvE hotfixes.

A basic, simple square cornerstone, about 3 meter across and 6m high.

It is there at T0-T1 and missing at T2-T3, its the reinforced and fortified version.

6 years. Maybe more. We dont even know anymore.

So please, say that again to Anet. Because so far, fixing the cornerstone is the most complicated thing in the world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Smoky.5348 said:

A lot of bugs

and yet you missed the worst of them all: passenger/cannoneer camera lock

more often then enough i have experienced that my camere /POV get stuck with my character sitting in midair, while the turtle and the pilot are somewhere else due to them moving. i have no freaking what causes this and why this happens but its out right disrupting gameplay when boarding a turtle trying to bombard things

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Xerxez.7361 said:

Finding a problem is easier than fixing it.

Yeah but, that's the job of that team, to find said bugs so that they can be fixed before launch/live play. Unless you are saying that they already know about all the game bugs (including those that have been in since launch, or those that are new, or those that have been around for years) and decide to spend no time fixing it and just release in the bugged state? 

Why is it that my mouse cursor used to change on distant targets, but as of about 8months ago it stopped doing that unless I am standing next to something interactable, and then it changes to any distant target, but if I move away it goes back to its bugged state? I reported that one eight months ago, and still nothing.

The Turtle mount is new content, at least we can hope that they do bug fix new content instead of just doing what they usually do and ignore the many bugs that exist for years. 

Edited by Gorem.8104
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, ShroomOneUp.6913 said:

and yet you missed the worst of them all: passenger/cannoneer camera lock

more often then enough i have experienced that my camere /POV get stuck with my character sitting in midair, while the turtle and the pilot are somewhere else due to them moving. i have no freaking what causes this and why this happens but its out right disrupting gameplay when boarding a turtle trying to bombard things

This reminds me of when l mount up and move around in an expansion map as soon as l load in. Sometimes my character won't move forward until my mount loads, then l suddenly rubberband forward. Though, that is always an extreme case of the game hanging on loading the world when l first boot up the map, and l have yet to encounter what you describe specifically. Thus, l can't offer much beyond what l've speculated.

6 hours ago, Taclism.2406 said:

I mean I might care if the turtle wasnt useless.
But now I dont want useless fixes for useless features, I just wanna move on from EoD

Unfortunately, you do have a good point. The turtle is most beneficial to those who cannot earn it on their own. And once you can earn it on your own, you don't need it all that much anymore because you just did a bunch of tough metas and a strike mission! Outside of its required uses, it's just a way to soak 60,000 damage while sending out a decent-enough DPS.

And also, it looks as if ANET shares your sentiment about not wanting to fix "useless" features. If it weren't for those rare times where they fix a couple bugs in core Tyria every several months, I might have thought they had completely forgotten base game even exists. Heck, it seems they're even moving on from EoD as there are still plenty of obvious non-turtle bugs they've yet to address. Daily Echovald Wilds Spirit Slayer, anyone?

8 hours ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

Shall we list the number of ‘bugs’ and exploits that have been present in WvW since HoT release?  

I feel your pain, man. There are loads of base game bugs, too, that never get fixed as ANET only seems to have teams working on whatever live content they're focusing on. The reason I made this thread was because, given these circumstances, it seems the most likely to garner official attention since it's part of the newest expansion. Plus, this is specifically focused to the mount. It's not an entire gamemode, it's not a collection of story missions, and it's not a span of oddly region-specific errors. ... Even though, really, ANET should have some kind of dedicated team to fix up the problems of base game and other gamemodes. I mean, the only reason charr got their missing walk animations fixed was because EoD has a crate delivering event that made it too obvious they lacked a walk anim for that. And, that was an issue since the game's very release.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Uhhh, first off, let's give a small thank you to the moderator who moved this thread into the correct subforum. I, ah, totes glossed over the bug reporting section at the top. I dunno, l saw "website" and assumed, "Oh, it's for admin announcements." 😅

But, I also come bearing new information on the mount speed up glitch. If you dismount the turtle while running at full speed and hop onto a different mount before touching the ground, your mount will have a permanent boost in speed that lasts until you stand still or walk. This speed boost is how the turtle's acceleration works, but the boost doesn't deactivate until your character touches the ground/water or the mount stands still. Thus, it is absolutely trivial to perform this with a griffon, and probably a skyscale, too, and this even affects gliding speed to a degree; default gliding is faster, but diving down is sped up, too. On the flip side, getting this effect on a land mount is incredibly difficult and seems to require frame-perfect input or maybe very specific terrain. I have only been able to get this speed boost on a raptor and jackal one time for each.

But anyway, performing this glitch can also cause the turtle's camera style to persist on the new mount or even on foot. What's weirder is that half the time under the effects of this glitch on a griffon, the camera will zoom in every time you dive. These camera glitches are solved by dismounting and remounting normally, but they are certainly disorienting to encounter.

Edited by Smoky.5348
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/21/2022 at 5:21 AM, Smoky.5348 said:

Uhhh, first off, let's give a small thank you to the moderator who moved this thread into the correct subforum. I, ah, totes glossed over the bug reporting section at the top. I dunno, l saw "website" and assumed, "Oh, it's for admin announcements." 😅

But, I also come bearing new information on the mount speed up glitch. If you dismount the turtle while running at full speed and hop onto a different mount before touching the ground, your mount will have a permanent boost in speed that lasts until you stand still or walk. This speed boost is how the turtle's acceleration works, but the boost doesn't deactivate until your character touches the ground/water or the mount stands still. Thus, it is absolutely trivial to perform this with a griffon, and probably a skyscale, too, and this even affects gliding speed to a degree; default gliding is faster, but diving down is sped up, too. On the flip side, getting this effect on a land mount is incredibly difficult and seems to require frame-perfect input or maybe very specific terrain. I have only been able to get this speed boost on a raptor and jackal one time for each.

But anyway, performing this glitch can also cause the turtle's camera style to persist on the new mount or even on foot. What's weirder is that half the time under the effects of this glitch on a griffon, the camera will zoom in every time you dive. These camera glitches are solved by dismounting and remounting normally, but they are certainly disorienting to encounter.

Only issue with being moved into the bug report section, is your thread dies and gets buried, I know this when I created the bug report for a mouse cursor issue when it first started, Bug was never fixed and thread got buried. 

That's the only reason its been moved here. People could actually see it on the general forums. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Greetings, folks. It would appear a recent patch fixed a few bugs with the Siege Turtle (but of course, it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes). This is ultimately a good thing, for the drought is finally over; even if it is a mere glass of water. But, progress is progress, so let's get down to what's fixed and what's half-fixed:

The Floating Slam: Almost fixed! Above ground acts correctly, but the bugged behavior is still the same underwater.

Cannot Jump After Slam Unless You Move: Slightly fixed, in the sense that you can now turn to regain control. Both jumping and Alacrity still suffer this equally.

Slam's Underwater Cooldown Can Persist Outside of Water: Fully fixed due to a change with Slam's cooldown. It now counts down from 4 seconds above (formerly 4.5) and underwater (formerly 6), but only once the attack lands. This was likely done to prevent getting out another Slam shortly after starting one from high in the air.

The rest of the listed bugs are either still present or need more thorough confirmation. This means, however, the mount speed exploit is still just as easy to perform and Jump Jets can appear ineffectual if you don't know the timing.

• Smoky.5348 changed the title to List of Siege Turtle Bugs Not Yet Fixed

Returned to this topic to update the list on the first post. Biggest notes are that ANET updated Slam so you can move much sooner, but you still can't jump out of it unless you move or the entire animation finishes (implying the Alacrity bug is still present); and I noticed the Slam hover glitch returned above land, but now just lets you continue your hover while you stay in the slam animation (meaning you can perform a full Slam midair and still go on hovering if you use Bond of Vigor). Nothing else changed as far as l noticed, meaning all listed bugs since last time continue to be present, including that small mount speed exploit.

Edited by Smoky.5348