Pressing any keybinds for mounts while on Skyscale will cause dismount.

Dear Arenanet employee.

We really enjoy the new ability to dismount the flying mounts while in the air.

We'd also like the ability to dismount the other mounts too, it is very frustrating not being able to dismount the roller beetle mount because it's bouncing.

Best wishes!

(ps. please add free camera while mounted, it is also very frustrating not being in full control of the camera)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Just noticed that accidently hitting any mount's keybind while riding a skyscale will cause a dismount. On the ground, it'll not be a problem but when you're at a certain height, and did not react fast enough, it's a face-plant onto the grounds far below.

Pretty sure it was not possible to dismount that way before while on a skyscale except through bond of faith.

I've gone for a couple of days thinking my joystick was broken, or my JoyToKey Config file corrupted.  This is very disrupting.  I hope it's fixed soon, it makes me not want to play.  And I've invested way too much into the Gemstore to want to quit.  :^)

I didn't even notice they added midair dismounting. Did I skim over it in the release notes?

But, pressing mount keys to dismount is intended behavior. Well, on the ground, anyway. It guarantees you only need one key to quickly change to something else. But if we're talking midair, it would certainly be logical for only flying mounts to cause a dismount.

• 1 month later...

I am voting for disabling dismount in mid-air by pressing mounts keybinds except of that mount you are flying.

My Springer is at Shift. And my second mount ability is at Shift+Mouse5.

And now instead of Griffon Diving or Skyscale BarrelRoll I am dismounting mid-air.

I can accept to dismount mid-air by clicking Griffon/Skyscale mount key, but not any mount key.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I thought this was a feature that makes swapping faster. 

Say I want to swap from Springer to Raptor, I do not use the Springer Keybind to dismount and then the raptor keybind to mount, I simply use raptor keybind twice in succesion since this is way faster. This has always worked this way, pre- fix. The fact you now get dismounted with the ground base mount's keybinds while on skyscale and/or griffon might be a unfortunate side effect. 

I doubt they can disable that in a manner that you can only dismount a ground base mount with any other ground base mount hotkey and alike for the flying mounts. And setting it so that you can only dismount with that mount's selected keybind might raise a whole lot of other complaints (as in my example above, I would hate to loose the fast swap)

• Sad 1

On 8/15/2022 at 3:21 PM, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

I thought this was a feature that makes swapping faster. 

Say I want to swap from Springer to Raptor, I do not use the Springer Keybind to dismount and then the raptor keybind to mount, I simply use raptor keybind twice in succesion since this is way faster. This has always worked this way, pre- fix. The fact you now get dismounted with the ground base mount's keybinds while on skyscale and/or griffon might be a unfortunate side effect. 

I doubt they can disable that in a manner that you can only dismount a ground base mount with any other ground base mount hotkey and alike for the flying mounts. And setting it so that you can only dismount with that mount's selected keybind might raise a whole lot of other complaints (as in my example above, I would hate to loose the fast swap)

The base idea behind it is definitely intentional. They just didn't think ahead about what it means to dismount with a ground mount while you're in the air. You accidentally hit Raptor mid-flight, then you might fall somewhere dangerous if you don't have a flying mount's key memorized for a panic. That's the only problem that needs fixing, really. And in my opinion, it can't be that hard to disallow ground mount keys while midair on a flying mount. It should be a few simple "if" statements and maybe a "switch-case". It doesn't need to be vice-versa, either; it's desirable to press a flying mount key on a ground mount.

Thinking out loud, dismounting with a ground mount midair is rarely desirable. You'd have to be low enough to the ground to not take fall damage or else you waste an extra second waiting for combat to wear off. If it works, it's a quicker mount switch, but it's a pretty tight window and anyone who's good at that could probably just manage the flying mount key and move to press the ground mount key.