Constant Disconnects - a friend needs help

Hello everyone,

As the title says, my friend is experiencing constant disconnects in GW2, the game is literally unplayable for him.
I want him to play with me, but he loses nerves with this every time... and he's beginning to give up.
We tried changing DNS, flushing DNS, restarting modem, re-downloading the game, fiddling with command lines etc but to no avail.

This has been an ongoing issue for a long time now and we haven't managed to find a solution to it at all.

Please help 🥺

EDIT: 
He started getting these issues after EoD kicked in. He did not have DCs before EoD.

Edited by Blur.3465

Did he always have the problem - since starting to play GW2? Or did it work at some point ... then starting to give disconnects at some point later?

And is it everywhere or only in (story) instances?

I know some people report having disconnects in instances. And it can't be ArenaNet's servers - otherwise there wouldn't be that many  people without problems.

Either something with the hardware and the game client where it does not work correctly ... or the "routing". I remember back then in the 1-2 years after the release we in Germany had problems - with the "best" provider here ... at peak/prime times getting insane lag (ping above 1000 or 2000 ms) - cause that ISP had to deal with routing with the other bigger ISPs where the servers are located.

Traceroute ("tracert") commands and ping and stuff ... might help. And contacting support as the person above me recommended. There is also an english knowledgebase article here: https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201862998-Troubleshooting-Connectivity-Issues

For the exact commands for doing a tracert log ... other people might help. Or the support might request specifc info if you talk to them. I do not think DNS has anything to do with this ... unless they changed servers/IP and then there would be no connection at all if there was trouble with this.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Thanks 1

Sadly, customer support isn't really helpful when it comes to Windows 11. My friend is having a streak of Disconnects this morning again and is unable to play the game for 30 seconds before getting disconnected.
He tried all of the above...

8 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Yeah, Win 11 is not supported (yet).  Has your friend tried DX 9?  Tried a program like PingPlotter to find where the connection issues lie?

Yeah he tried Dx9 and literally all the other possible solutions that got stated on the support page. He doesn't want to download any third party programs though.
Last resort is to just reinstall gw2 but I doubt that will help him considering he repaired the game files. 
He doesn't get disconnects in other games, just GW2.

• Confused 1

Do your friend have gw2 installed under either C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files ?

If so I would advice to move it to C:\Gw2 for example

And another thing dont window 11 come with compability mode so you can run the program as windows 10 compatible?

On 7/2/2022 at 7:27 PM, Blur.3465 said:

Hello everyone,

As the title says, my friend is experiencing constant disconnects in GW2, the game is literally unplayable for him.
I want him to play with me, but he loses nerves with this every time... and he's beginning to give up.
We tried changing DNS, flushing DNS, restarting modem, re-downloading the game, fiddling with command lines etc but to no avail.

This has been an ongoing issue for a long time now and we haven't managed to find a solution to it at all.

Please help 🥺

EDIT: 
He started getting these issues after EoD kicked in. He did not have DCs before EoD.

I had this same issue and the only thing to ended up solving the problem for me was I had to switch home worlds to a different server. I was originally on Jade Quarry and was having the same issue as your friend. I switched to Crystal Desert and my problem went away. Haven't had a disconnect since. 

11 hours ago, UlfricMak.7041 said:

I had this same issue and the only thing to ended up solving the problem for me was I had to switch home worlds to a different server. I was originally on Jade Quarry and was having the same issue as your friend. I switched to Crystal Desert and my problem went away. Haven't had a disconnect since. 

Oooh interesting. I'll talk to him about it. Thanks!

EDIT:
Sadly that didn't help him 😞 he tried today and same issue.

Edited by Blur.3465

6 hours ago, Blur.3465 said:

EDIT:

Sorry that this didn't help. Is his CPU and Graphics card strong to handle to higher demand of End of Dragons?

7 hours ago, Blur.3465 said:

EDIT:

Your friend paid to change Home Worlds?  Not that I would imagine that would make a difference, but it seems like a costly thing to do to just find out it did not help. 

Now, if it was a change of regions, that might make a difference...

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234

On 7/4/2022 at 7:46 PM, Blur.3465 said:

I have to add that he didn't get this issue before EoD. Ever since EoD kicked in, he is constantly disconnecting.

Internet Provider always want to get new customers, even if their lines aren't able to handle that well....

23 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

End of Dragons system requirements were increased.  Could it be your friend doesn't meet said requirements?

How much memory? If windows starts swapping you get DC's.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Confused 1

Friend's CPU and Gcard are more than fine. He runs some high end games on max graphics, so that's not a problem.
He also has no performance issues in GW2, it's just DCs that get him.
Pre EoD it was all fine; EoD broke something for him and now he can't play the game properly.

It's very odd since he only  has those issues in GW2; he plays other MMOs just fine. 
So either it's some provider issue that has packet loss towards ANet ONLY, or some strange EoD thing going on.

I'm having the same issue across 4 computers. I have a brand new cable Modem and the problem preceded and continues post modern change. All 4 of my computers are well within specs, and it is even across operating systems since I still on occasion play on Mac using WINE. Checking my bandwidth & speed while playing I seem to have plenty available. I can't say that this started with EoD, I haven't tracked how long it has been happening, but I think it is closer to about 6 weeks. 

I'm wondering if it has something to do with Amazon's servers, since if I remember right Amazon hosts for Anet. 

Edited by Moira Shalaar.5620
expanded comment
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anthony.8056 said:

I'm currently unable to play due to the latest patch or it seems that way considering everything was working prior to the patch. After I logged in to play about a few minutes in, it crashes.

Any addons that might need updates?

• 1 month later...