GW2 should finally add "inspect gear" ability to examine other players' cosmetics

At least the name of the skins would be nice...

Yesterday I saw this https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Undying_Shackles_Cape

It was on a Charr I was like lol this would look nice in my berserker transmog alongside with this https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Searing_Chain_Gloves

I spent around 1 hour looking even through locked skins but I just skipped it somehow,it happens sometimes and the charr who had it have logged off...

In the end I got illuminated it's not Chains they are Shackles...damned synonim... so after a brief hour I found that back skin...In that hour I should have been on boss event or helping some people out yet I was looking through google and wiki.

Now I am collecting Black Lion statuettes for it but the topics idea is a good one especially for roleplay and skin fans.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

When Ure passionate about something and invest your time in doing it , u will atleast need an acknowledgement let alone merits just for courtesy when someone copies your work.

If Ure a new player and haven't invested time haven't acquired many gear outfit u won't bother to have an inspect feature.

Same goes for lot of other things.... Game instanced content, competitive content, irl stuff,... 

But all you did was pick pieces of gear already available in game to every player, and equip them. It's not like you actually modeled the gear yourself, then someone else copied your model. How many people wear celestial in the game? Tons. Berserker? Hundreds. How many people have those raindow bird wings? Thousands. 

I am a fan of games that let you customize your look or outfit or transmog, etc. But you can't gatekeep your choices in a game where everyone has access to the same gear one way or another. That would be like getting mad that someone else bought a Dark Horse Mustang, when you already own one. Was Ford only supposed to sell it to you or something? I just don't understand that line of thinking at all. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

On 7/27/2023 at 3:09 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

You can simply ASK the other players what they are wearing.

That option has always been there and is unlikely to go away.

And that option will still be there with an inspect feature. But then there will be 2 options instead of just 1.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

And that option will still be there with an inspect feature. But then there will be 2 options instead of just 1.

And when you can just ask, you don't need an option to skip the asking.

You want to know something? Just ask.

You can't be bothered with doing as little as asking? Go on without the information you want.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

And when you can just ask, you don't need an option to skip the asking.

You want to know something? Just ask.

You can't be bothered with doing as little as asking? Go on without the information you want.

But people can still ask even with the inspect feature. I don't know why you don't understand that part...the "asking" feature wouldn't suddenly going away, people can still "just ask". People can then just pick which way works best for them, instead of being forced into only one way. The more options, the more inclusive the game becomes!

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

But people can still ask even with the inspect feature. I don't know why you don't understand that part...the "asking" feature wouldn't suddenly going away, people can still "just ask". People can then just pick which way works best for them, instead of being forced into only one way. The more options, the more inclusive the game becomes!

How do you not understand that there are people who do not want to be peeked at?

You whispering them means gives them feedback that you are interested in it. Simply peeking at them results in no such feedback.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Gerebos.1065 said:

It was on a Charr I was like lol this would look nice in my berserker transmog alongside with this https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Searing_Chain_Gloves

I spent around 1 hour looking even through locked skins but I just skipped it somehow,it happens sometimes and the charr who had it have logged off...

In the end I got illuminated it's not Chains they are Shackles...damned synonim... so after a brief hour I found that back skin...In that hour I should have been on boss event or helping some people out yet I was looking through google and wiki.

Now I am collecting Black Lion statuettes for it but the topics idea is a good one especially for roleplay and skin fans.

For what its worth, it is generally easier to use the armor preview option in the bank wardrobe than to google or wiki for a specific piece.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

. But you can't gatekeep

He is not doing so. As you stated in your post anyone can equip any armor that they have unlocked for that weight. By definition it is not gatekeeping if everyone can essentially freely access it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

For what its worth, it is generally easier to use the armor preview option in the bank wardrobe than to google or wiki for a specific piece.

"I spent around 1 hour looking even through locked skins but I just skipped it somehow,it happens sometimes and the charr who had it have logged off... "

^That's the part of Bank wardrobe I just did not observed or miss-clicked it happens.

Anyway I don't believe all of this preview thing will happen sadly

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Gerebos.1065 said:

Or you could have just asked the person who had it?

3 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

But all you did was pick pieces of gear already available in game to every player, and equip them.

Ok, then you're free to do the same.

3 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

You already have that option with the opt-in site that was linked in this thread -even directly to you- and yet preeeetty sure I don't need to check to know you're still not using it. So much for you "wanting that option" so bad.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Or you could have just asked the person who had it?

Ok, then you're free to do the same.

You already have that option with the opt-in site that was linked in this thread -even directly to you- and yet preeeetty sure I don't need to check to know you're still not using it. So much for you "wanting that option" so bad.

The opt in site is a different option than what I am referring to. The opt in site is 3rd party and takes you outside of the game, which is not what some of us want. 

What I'm talking about is a game feature built directly into GW2, that lets you click on another player, and inspect them, which shows what gear they are currently wearing. This happens all within the game, without opening any other program besides GW2, without any 3rd party involvement, and without me signing up for anything extra.

The process would take 1 second to click on a player I see, and maybe 4-5 seconds to glance over their gear. It would be the easiest and fastest way for someone to see what gear someone else is wearing, and would not require removing any existing options. It would just be adding a way more efficient option, which would benefit all kinds of players and would promote inclusion, rather than promote exclusion. 

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

He is not doing so. As you stated in your post anyone can equip any armor that they have unlocked for that weight. By definition it is not gatekeeping if everyone can essentially freely access it.

Gatekeeping the gear itself? No, that's the item in which all players have access to, which is not what I am referring to. Gatekeeping what combination of gear you are wearing, well I just don't see a point, especially in an MMO that does not have a lot of options to begin with. With a limited number of sets anyways, it's a matter of time before other people figure it out and copy you....so the " I don't want them to copy me" argument makes zero sense to me. 

• Confused 5

4 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

The opt in site is a different option than what I am referring to. The opt in site is 3rd party and takes you outside of the game, which is not what some of us want. 

You're claiming something is good because it's an option, but you're not signing up for optional access to equipment preview. So no, you're not vouching for "options -if you were, you'd signed up there.

4 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

The process would take 1 second to click on a player I see

Similarly to asking them.

Just now, Gravitron.7982 said:

Gatekeeping what combination of gear you are wearing

Nobody is doing that either.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

You're claiming something is good because it's an option, but you're not signing up for optional access to equipment preview. So no, you're not vouching for "options -if you were, you'd signed up there.

Because it's not a part of the game. Why would I want to sign up for external sites? I'd rather just do everything I need to do, in the game itself. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Because it's not a part of the game.

Yeah, coming up with your own gear looks or interacting with players is part of the game. Peaking at player gear whether they want it or not isn't.

3 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Why would I want to sign up for external sites?

Because it does what you apparently want it to do. Allows other people to check what you're wearing and allows you to check what other people -who opted in- are wearing. Pretty sure that was already answered multiple times.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Gatekeeping the gear itself? No, that's the item in which all players have access to, which is not what I am referring to. Gatekeeping what combination of gear you are wearing, well I just don't see a point, especially in an MMO that does not have a lot of options to begin with. With a limited number of sets anyways, it's a matter of time before other people figure it out and copy you....so the " I don't want them to copy me" argument makes zero sense to me. 

It isnt gatekeeping if you have free access to the information. Not doing your homework for you is not gatekeeping. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

4 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

It isnt gatekeeping if you have free access to the information. Not doing your homework for you is not gatekeeping. 

It is if I message someone asking them what they're wearing, and they don't tell me what they are wearing. They're gatekeeping that info, which is fine no one is obligated to respond to messages or provide any answers, but it's still gatekeeping and it keeps the game exclusive instead of inclusive. Being able to inspect someone and see their gear, avoids that completely, and is more inclusive, and easier for everyone as no one has to be bothered in order to find out, and it won't hurt anyone if other people see what gear you're wearing. Your DPS won't suddenly drop just because people can see what you're wearing, that just won't happen. 

• Confused 7
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Yeah, coming up with your own gear looks or interacting with players is part of the game. Peaking at player gear whether they want it or not isn't.

Because it does what you apparently want it to do. Allows other people to check what you're wearing and allows you to check what other people -who opted in- are wearing. Pretty sure that was already answered multiple times.

What I want is to be able to view what armor another player is wearing, from within the game itself, without having to whisper that person. What you suggest, fills none of those requirements. Again, just so there isn't any room for you to not understand what I am saying:

1. In game tool built into the game's UI that does not require going to a 3rd party or leaving the game (alt-tabbing)
2. Does not require having to bother a person by sending them a whisper. 
3. Will not remove the existing options of finding out what gear someone wears. 

That's about as clear as I can explain it, hopefully that sheds more light on what I'm specifically talking about. No third party website, no alt-tabbing or searching on another computer, no requirement to bother any player I run into in game. 

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

It is if I message someone asking them what they're wearing, and they don't tell me what they are wearing. They're gatekeeping that info, which is fine no one is obligated to respond to messages or provide any answers, but it's still gatekeeping and it keeps the game exclusive instead of inclusive. Being able to inspect someone and see their gear, avoids that completely, and is more inclusive, and easier for everyone as no one has to be bothered in order to find out, and it won't hurt anyone if other people see what gear you're wearing. Your DPS won't suddenly drop just because people can see what you're wearing, that just won't happen. 

They are not gatekeeping because you can see what they are wearing. It is not gatekeeping to not do your homework for you.

If an inspect system such as you desire existed and I chose not to use it, instead messaging someone to ask the name of a skin, would theh be gatekeeping if they didnt answer?

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

46 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

They are not gatekeeping because you can see what they are wearing. It is not gatekeeping to not do your homework for you.

If an inspect system such as you desire existed and I chose not to use it, instead messaging someone to ask the name of a skin, would theh be gatekeeping if they didnt answer?

Technically yes, they would still be gate keeping. But now you would have an option to bypass it! Inclusion everywhere!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6

28 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Technically yes, they would still be gate keeping. But now you would have an option to bypass it! Inclusion everywhere!

There is already an option to bypass what you call gatekeeping. Not working for someone else's benefit against one's will is not gatekeeping.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

9 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

How do you not understand that there are people who do not want to be peeked at?

You whispering them means gives them feedback that you are interested in it. Simply peeking at them results in no such feedback.

What do you have to hide that you dont want to get peeked at?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

That's what I'm wondering. There is nothing secret about gear in GW2, other players may just want to see what combo you have on. And players won't feel a thing when they are inspected, so it does not damper or interrupt their gameplay...they'll have no idea if it happens, in the same one someone standing in front of you staring at your character. It's a win-win for everyone. 

• Confused 7

4 hours ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

What do you have to hide that you can't even be bothered to have the smallest of social interactions with other players in a multiplayer game?

If you want to know what my characters wear, engage with me, not with a menu.

If you are interested in other player's gear, give them the feedback that you are interested. An unsocial menu option doesn't give such feedback.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

What do you have to hide that you can't even be bothered to have the smallest of social interactions with other players in a multiplayer game?

If you want to know what my characters wear, engage with me, not with a menu.

If you are interested in other player's gear, give them the feedback that you are interested. An unsocial menu option doesn't give such feedback.

I think that's what most people do, because it's not just about what the skin is, it's also about how to get it as well, and there's actually a decent amount of people who don't know or just can't be bothered to find skins and how to get them. Usually if someone asks me about my skins I also tell them where to get them. Which is ofcourse the advantage of the interaction with the skins being the icebreaker. 

On the other hand, I do kind of understand why some people might not want to go through that thus they'd use an inspect gear(or at least inspect skins) menu. We might not agree with them but they are players of the game as much as we are so I think it's a fair point. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1