Voice options for Characters from existing NPCs?

I was going to post in suggestions, and I know there's been some old threads about this but I wanted to hear what people thought about this version before I post it to suggestions and there was no thread that I saw that talked about this particular idea, maybe help hammer out the details before suggest- or share why it's a bad idea 😛

What about voice options for character creation/can set (since we probably have a bunch of old characters that cosplay things and there is no way).  And what if those voice options were the already-recorded voices of NPCs? 

For example, Sayeh Al Rahjid's voice for a largos character, or access to different types of Asura voices, or an alternate voice from the human male NPC that is a bit less hammy in the way our current is.   The voice pre-recorded NPC ideally would be probably a character like Sayeh Al' Rahjid or Baroosh, where there are more pre-existing voice lines for fight-y actions because they actually fight with you!   And maybe for the un-recorded voice lines, they could simply have it be silent (or, if it fits, use the default.  I can't think of an example in which it would fit, so maybe silence would be best?).  Like, I think I'd take an alternate human male voice that is less hammy and silent jump if I had a human male thief XD.   Perhaps the ones that are not the default would be marked with some marker or something with a note, so we know it's based off NPC / kinda incomplete or something / experimental and prone to weirdness / missing some voice lines?  

Anyway. would love to know what y'all think.

Edited by cloudsareyum.8120
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Do you mean an alternate voice only for combat lines and 'sounds effects' (all the 'oof' 'ahhh' 'argh' etc. noises in combat and when moving)? Or do you mean using existing NPCs dialogue to replace everything the player character says, including story dialogue?

The first one might work, if you don't mind your character sounding completely different in combat to any time they say more than one sentance. The second wouldn't work at all without getting those voice actors to record all the necessary lines. If they choppped up everything they say and reassembled it then it'd sound...well, like any other time that's done. Like a sat nav where it's obviously seperate words being strung together by a computer and the pacing and intonation is all wrong.

Also if you'd prefer them to be silent to hearing the random comments they make in combat you already have that option. Under Sound Options there's a check box for 'disable player chatter' which stops you hearing all those lines.

• Like 4

I'll settle for just having a -10% to +10% pitch modulator slider. This alone will make a huge difference since for example, you'd be able to make a female Norn whose voice isn't as deep.

Alternate voices aren't possible beyond simple filters, due to too many combinations.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 5

If it changes voicing any way... Because it can get confusing in a large group of players doing a meta, hearing a specific voice line and I go "Is this Asura voice line  coming from my character? Coming from the engineer to my right or from the mesmer across the street?"

• Like 3

On 7/24/2022 at 5:09 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

Do you mean an alternate voice only for combat lines and 'sounds effects' (all the 'oof' 'ahhh' 'argh' etc. noises in combat and when moving)? Or do you mean using existing NPCs dialogue to replace everything the player character says, including story dialogue?

The first one might work, if you don't mind your character sounding completely different in combat to any time they say more than one sentance. The second wouldn't work at all without getting those voice actors to record all the necessary lines. If they choppped up everything they say and reassembled it then it'd sound...well, like any other time that's done. Like a sat nav where it's obviously seperate words being strung together by a computer and the pacing and intonation is all wrong.

Also if you'd prefer them to be silent to hearing the random comments they make in combat you already have that option. Under Sound Options there's a check box for 'disable player chatter' which stops you hearing all those lines.

Mostly just for combat lines, I don't really see that it would be worth the amount of effort for the voice acting in story  (so would silence during story)

Oh, cool, thanks!  Even so, I think it would be really cool to hear Sayeh's voice for the voice lines if cosplaying a largos for example. 

I was thinking, so that it won't be so much work for the devs, just allow us to use some of the NPC combat lines for a few simple combat lines nad silent thruout, with a mark or something.

Edited by cloudsareyum.8120

On 7/24/2022 at 5:13 AM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

I'll settle for just having a -10% to +10% pitch modulator slider. This alone will make a huge difference since for example, you'd be able to make a female Norn whose voice isn't as deep.

Alternate voices aren't possible beyond simple filters, due to too many combinations.

I'd be happy with simple filters and a modulator slider 🙂

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, cloudsareyum.8120 said:

I noticed someone was confused about my OP, but this doesn't really show me who. If whoever would point out whatever is confusing, so I could clarify, much obliged. ^u^

Don’t worry about the confused emojis. Ppl use those to show they disagree or don’t like what you said. Or just troll posts since it’s anonymous. 

im all for some variety with the chatter. Some lines do get repetitive. Sometimes all I hear is “I can outrun a centaur” and I don’t even play human 👀 I doubt they will add more voice options though. So I guess the marathon with the centaurs continues 

• Like 1

Actually, I think it'll be interesting for the character using the voice packs of other races, but there should be restrictions like it doesn't affect what other players hear, so they won't feel like lore breaking. I'd certainly try it out if something like this appear in the gemstore (for the right price).

• Like 1