Is Staff dmg higher than Scepter dmg?

Sifu.9745

I am a bit confused here: Staff should be a support ranged weapon, while Scepter should work as a pure dps ranged weapon, right? But why then Staff auto attack is higher than Scepter aa? Both condi or Power.

Staff aa with no gear equiped: 215 dmg, 0.5 sec cast, 254 dmg, 0.5 and 293 dmg, 0.5 sec cast.

Scepter aa dmg with no gear equiped: only 213 dmg, 0.5 sec cast, slow moving orb, which only makes it good in melee range.

Other than aa, Scepter's higher dmg is #2, which is pretty strong and gives Might, but that's all about Scepter: one strong damaging spell, while Staff has stronger aa and not bad #3 and even #2.

Ok, Scepter gives more Might with traits, but you get maybe 5% more dmg that way?

Anyway i play condi/hybrid Firebrand with Axe/Torch and occasionally Staff as a dps ranged/support weapon and it works better than Scepter: slightly better single target dmg,  much better AOE dmg, better healing and support:)

So my question is: why would i ever take Scepter over Staff?

Edited by Sifu.9745

21 minutes ago, Sifu.9745 said:

I am a bit confused here: Staff should be a support ranged weapon, while Scepter should work as a pure dps ranged weapon, right? But why then Staff auto attack is higher than Scepter aa? Both condi or Power.

Staff aa with no gear equiped: 215 dmg, 0.5 sec cast, 254 dmg, 0.5 and 293 dmg, 0.5 sec cast.

Scepter aa dmg with no gear equiped: only 213 dmg, 0.5 sec cast, slow moving orb, which only makes it good in melee range.

Other than aa, Scepter's higher dmg is #2, which is pretty strong and gives Might, but that's all about Scepter: one strong damaging spell, while Staff has stronger aa and not bad #3 and even #2.

Ok, Scepter gives more Might with traits, but you get maybe 5% more dmg that way?

Anyway i play condi/hybrid Firebrand with Axe/Torch and occasionally Staff as a dps ranged/support weapon and it works better than Scepter: slightly better single target dmg,  much better AOE dmg, better healing and support:)

comparig strengths of weapon is not as easy as:

without gear x does so much dmg and without gear y does so much dmg

Gw2 works with coeeficients. 

For example skill a) will have a scaling of 1,0    and skill b will have a scaling of 1,4.

If you have 1000 power for example skilla) will deal 1000 damage more   and skill b) will do 1400 damage more.

When we look at conditions its even harder to compare.

they have a Basevalue+coefficient.   For example

skill a deals 300damage+ 1.0 coefficient.

skill b deals 100 damage + 2.0 coefficient.

without stats skill a) deals 300 damage  and skill b) deals 100 damage.   

Thats how you calculated the "strength" in your example.

However this doesnt make any sense at all. From the calculation above without stats skill a) will be better cuz it deals 3x the damage (300 compared to 100)

HOWEVER if we now add stats to it, lets say 1000 condition damage

skill a will deal 300+1000*1.0 = 1300 Damage

skill b will deal 100+1000*2.0 = 2100 Damage

suddenly skill b) is better!

Even when calculating the raw numbers this is hardly a indicator of "how strong" something is going to be.

There is other factors. for example  Cooldowns, Animations, Traveltime, Boons, synegys with traits, yada yada....

Generally speaking: whatever feels better to you, will be better in your hands. Play what feels better!

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sifu.9745 said:

The immob on Scepter#3 and a faster method of casting Scepter#2 Symbol (even though anet destroyed symbolic guards) and off-hand utility usages. Technically Scepter + Torch outputs a lot more damage than staff. Can't just compare the first three skills the weapon has.

Edited by Saiyan.1704
  • Like 1

Nearly all cast tooltip indicators in game are wrong, you should use the wiki to see how really fast is a skill and his multiplier (example: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bolt_of_Wrath), or you can calculate them yourself against a stationary target (in pvp lobby for example).

Anyway...

Staff #1 combo:
Bolt of Wrath multiplier: 0.55  (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bolt_of_Wrath)
Searing Light multiplier: 0.65  (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Searing_Light)
Seeking Judgment multiplier: 0.75  (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Seeking_Judgment)
The whole sequence takes around 2.68 seconds. (see wiki on bolt of wrath page)

Multiplier per second: (0.55 + 0.65 + 0.75) / 2.68 = 0.73

Scepter #1:
Orb of Wrath multiplier: 0.6  (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Orb_of_Wrath)
Actual attack speed is once every 0.64 seconds

Multiplier per second: 0.6 / 0.68 = 0.94

Scepter #1 do approximately 28% more damage that Staff #1.

• Thanks 2