I really wish anet would have thought of this first...short and fun tutorial vids for youtube for new players

Giving credit where credit is due, the FFXIV team released a ton of short 3-5 minute tutorial videos that are really engaging and fun to watch. I wish anet thought of this idea first. It would really go a long way I think to helping newbies understand the game. For reference, here is ep.3 

FINAL FANTASY XIV: Starter Guide Series - Episode 3: Hall of the Novice - YouTube

I hope anet does something like this in the future. (Just make sure the production values / writing is high quality, please. No cringe.)

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

2 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

None of those teach anyone the basics of how the game is played. 

The GW2 social media team does promote community made tutorials and guides on Twitter and the News page, probably elsewhere too.  This has included introductory tutorials among a wide range of content.  

The GW2 community has built some very strong resources over the years with new content creators joining in and providing fresh updates on the game all the time.  Even the GW2 Wiki is community driven, all of which allows Anet to focus resources on developing and updating new and existing content.  

If anything, I’d ask Anet to promote the content creators and community driven resources and events even more than they do now to help build a bigger community of GW2 fans. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

The GW2 social media team does promote community made tutorials and guides on Twitter and the News page, probably elsewhere too.  This has included introductory tutorials among a wide range of content.  

The GW2 community has built some very strong resources over the years with new content creators joining in and providing fresh updates on the game all the time.  Even the GW2 Wiki is community driven, all of which allows Anet to focus resources on developing and updating new and existing content.  

If anything, I’d ask Anet to promote the content creators and community driven resources and events even more than they do now to help build a bigger community of GW2 fans. 

Does anet just not have the staffing to make videos explaining basic concepts?  

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

16 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

There's a short forced tutorial in EOD where you're forced to learn about break bars, and dodging, and most open world content as noted by many players. Is made to be literally auto attackable in the core world. You learn about break bars, then realize they were like.. years late and not really as relevant post eod anymore with better boon coverage / more focus on personal dps / alacity + 25 might + quickness +- maybe 20-25 vulnerability, etc. 

(Some randomly cobbled no build guide / Complete random core/no ability builds might do like.. 1-3k flailing blind dps, and give very little indication to the player. Other than if mobs sometimes respawn at about the same time you spend killing them. That might be a sign your build is in the 2k dps range like a ungeared toon without arc to realize it. )

Some of the complaints about arc might be lost since.. Honestly i'd get it whenever you do a meta.. Finding out like the dragon ends that were 4% shy of succeeding were only having 10 pug players do like 10k-25k dps or better and 40 / (80%)  players doing 0.5-8k was kinda jarring. It isn't a matter of like a 30k casual vs 40k snowcrow gap.

It's more like 90% of players do 2-8k dps while thinking they're 20k-80k dps instead and the leaderboard is always the same 10 mechs who discuss that they spent the fight microwaving a burrito, leaving a fight to walk the dog, or played one handed to get 2x the dps of the 5 year old ele who's proud of his spec. But only does half the dps of the burrito microwaving 28k dps player.  (And then there are some 2-10x 0.5K-2k DPS players who i have legitimate 0 idea on HOW is even possible.. as not even green autos should be that low. ) 

Edited by Sunchaser.9854
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

Hahahahahahaha

Comedy gold right there

No, being politically correct, Anet has shown that they do not have the staff to do that type of work given they don’t have the staff to QA or Balance their game in a timely manner. 

Developing, filming and editing videos as a company is not a simple task. Especially if you are creating content meant to introduce people to your product. If the company makes a bad video, it could turn off players, where as a content creator makes a bad video, that’s on the content creator not the game itself. 

As such, companies waste time and money on grooming videos of this type.  Usually multiple edits and rewrites, making sure that everything is on brand and nothing controversial.  And after that investment, the video usually ends up needing to be reshot in a year or two as the game has changed enough that the video is outdated and incorrect. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

How about just improving the game play experience for new players so they learn what to do without having to watch a youtube video?  How about a better defined character introduction where you enter the starting zone and learn the movements, including dodge, and breakbars before actually entering a map.  Why not include them better in personal story.  Not really fond of the training grounds in EoD for it, feels not only forced but very...contained and limited.  How about a better introduction to it not just in EoD.

• Like 8