So where did all that magic go?

Infinity.2876

Did I miss something?

Spoilers

Spoiler

After you kill the facets inside soo won, maybe I missed it but, where did all that magical energy go?

It can't have gone all into aurine and soo won because that's several dragons' worth of magic. Even cleansed one Dragon can't hold that much. And aurine mentioned after the final battle of ibs that some of the magic had left her. I'm asumming that upon collected it to charge jade batteries but that's still too much and I have no idea how she could have collected it.

Well

1. Aurene was already holding magic from Zhaitan, Mordremoth, Kralkatorrik, Jormag, Primordus, and Balthazar. Not all of it, but way more then one dragon's worth.
  2. Aurene purifies and cycles magic. She doesn't hoard it all like the other Elder Dragons do, so it went back into the system but this time purified of all the bad stuff that caused issues in the past.
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

Well

1. Aurene was already holding magic from Zhaitan, Mordremoth, Kralkatorrik, Jormag, Primordus, and Balthazar. Not all of it, but way more then one dragon's worth.
  2. Aurene purifies and cycles magic. She doesn't hoard it all like the other Elder Dragons do, so it went back into the system but this time purified of all the bad stuff that caused issues in the past.

if it went back into ‘the system’ then it’s free to be claimed by someone else who will cause problems. Personally I love this premise and I’m looking forward to more human-level villains all over the world popping up and factions exploding with new power. That’s the whole point of the elder dragons HOLDING it, aurene purifying it of the underlying corruption that has seeped in from the dragons’ energies is nice. But releasing it will only come back go bite us and it’ll be a case of the devil you knew, like sure eldtritch monsters suck but now anyone from anywhere can be a problem. We did the right thing ending the cycle but there’s no denying they had a place in the world.  How it goes next is gonna be exciting 

• Like 2

Gw2 Dragon magic has some pretty bizzare and weird uses honestly.

It can raise the dead and brand them.

It can power electronics, and batteries like a charger, apparently.

It can be stored in mcGuffin devices to end the world or create anti dragon weapons. 

Spoiler

It can enhance itself by eating other people, including liches to self revive, as well as running Machinery. But Yet it limits itself so Aurene can't just start eating the batteries and golems itself since that'd be too silly ofc. 

If aurene ate a battery charger, i don't know if i'd even put my money safe as being unable to charge phones if the commander's phone ran out of battery unprompted. Like, it's probably a 50 50 fair chance aurene could go like. "Commander, i see a sacrifice is needed! It has been difficult, but i have consumed the essences of Zhaitan to provide Zi-Fi and Blacktooth mobile device charging!" if the plot demanded like, Taimi's device needed a recharge or not. 

But yeah, it seems like after the Soo won fight, Aurene is exhausted and needs time to process all the energy. She's able to purify it for magic elder dragon / plot handwave reasons. But it seems like it taxes her and needs time to process. Considering she grew up from like horse sized to mountain sized after POF's events though, i wouldn't be surprised if she'd become like 3x her current mountain size by the next expac or living story if she keeps growing though. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fenom.9457 said:

if it went back into ‘the system’ then it’s free to be claimed by someone else who will cause problems. Personally I love this premise and I’m looking forward to more human-level villains all over the world popping up and factions exploding with new power. That’s the whole point of the elder dragons HOLDING it, aurene purifying it of the underlying corruption that has seeped in from the dragons’ energies is nice. But releasing it will only come back go bite us and it’ll be a case of the devil you knew, like sure eldtritch monsters suck but now anyone from anywhere can be a problem. We did the right thing ending the cycle but there’s no denying they had a place in the world.  How it goes next is gonna be exciting 

SPOILERS FOR ALL SEASONS AND EXPANSIONS

Spoiler

Yes, the whole purpose of Glint's legacy was to replace the Elder Dragons with an entity that shares instead of hoardes magic, but of course this means that mortals will have more access to magic, even part of the magic taken from Humans by the Gods (although only one out of three Bloodstones has been destroyed).

Its heavily insinuated that ending the cycle of dragons hoarding all magic (resulting in the death of sentient races) is the key to a progressive future as magic is akin to electricity in Tyria and there could never be a developed world as long as the threat of magic levels becoming low again existed. It was one of the apocalyptic disasters the Priory was preparing for, since it effectively returns civlisation to a primitive state. We know that magic even affects things like crops and wildlife so even basic farming like we seen in Queensdale might've become unsustainable. It would be like even fire and lightning ceasing to exist in our world.

We don't know what exactly killed off the sentient races that came before the current ones, whether it was magic disappearing or the dragon minions devouring them, or both, but neither of these things will ever happen again. Despite this, Aurene tells us to keep a close eye on her, and she does say one day the Dragonvoid will return as its basically the primordial state of the universe itself.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

2 hours ago, Fenom.9457 said:

Well no, it going back into the system means its gone back into the ley-lines which Aurene is connected to, and can monitor.

Normal humans, Charr, Norn, Sylvari, and most Asura(outside of the Asura who know how to build ley-line tech) can't access it. Neither can other races like Quaggan, Hylek, Grawl, etc.

Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509

5 hours ago, Fenom.9457 said:

So future expansion power creep has a lore friendly foundation?

😄

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

Well no, it going back into the system means its gone back into the ley-lines which Aurene is connected to, and can monitor.

Normal humans, Charr, Norn, Sylvari, and most Asura(outside of the Asura who know how to build ley-line tech) can't access it. Neither can other races like Quaggan, Hylek, Grawl, etc.

Magic naturally flows into ley lines, yes, but it isn’t restricted to it.  Cars drive down freeways but they can go into neighborhoods, off-road, into your garage, etc. particularly with active interference the path can easily be altered.  You do still have a point though that it’s not as easy as I was making it sound - and aurene will likely know.