Core Tyria zones should have the option to only be populated by characters with zone-appropriate levels

TOPIC: Core Tyria zones should have the option to only be populated by characters with zone-appropriate levels

An issue with this topic may be in your wording of the Topic. I just noticed this. Core Tyria is a vast area comprised of more than just starter zones.

Pic of Core areas

Video taken in 2012 of Core areas 

Perhaps the Topic should have been "Core starter maps..." and the rest of your topic.  Not sure if you can edit the subject line but it would be more accurate of what you were getting at.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bunny.9834 said:

They really need to nerf mount damage in core Tyria. 

It’s really sad to see these trolls just ruin new player experience. 

People have no self control. 

Mounts have already been nerfed in starter zones.  I do agree with your other points, though.

On 8/25/2022 at 5:50 AM, Dante.1508 said:

I blame Dailies and map completions, the dailies should not have low player maps in the rotation. they should remove them and add EoD maps instead..

That's just misguided. While a lot of players use the maps for the dailies, I think they might not be as 'problematic' as others who are completing maps, or just doing exploration. Also not everyone has EoD yet so it would be unfair to include those maps as of now. It would probably be better to just add new EoD dailies or add the map to regular dailies later on.

On 8/25/2022 at 4:40 PM, Kaytee.7832 said:

Unfortunately that's very true.   I do not understand how you can be high level and just go into a lower zone and make life miserable for new players.  That sounds like WoW to me not the GW I know. I've run into this even at higher levels.  I just step back and consider the source lol.   

But I feel bad for the new players.   I hope most of them can overlook this and go on.  Maybe they can find good guilds to help them 🙂    Or have a GM in the beginning zones  and zap some of the bullies 

It does indeed sound like you come from WoW perspective, or you just had incredibly bad luck while on starter maps. I personally had very little bad interactions, and even if there were some it's just easier to turn away and find another mob to tag.

I am a vet player and I spend a decent amount of my time in starter maps, either with map completion or key farming each week. And until now I haven't had any problems or complaints (still don't). Maps usually aren't really populated and as a vet it's easy to just breeze through them since I am familiar with them.

And most of the older players aren't malicious and genuinely want to either help new players or just don't notice them since they're doing their own thing. I've spent my fair share of time just standing there answering questions and giving advice, so I know. You'd easily find groups of vets just doing auto attacks or lower dmg skills so all the players are able to tag for events and such.

And it's not really the players fault if they oneshot an enemy. Sometimes, if I'm not playing alone, it actually takes special care to take skills (like reaper shouts and other AoE skills) to just tag mobs and not kill them outright, because even an auto attack can easily kill an enemy, and except if there is a player I'm trying to actively play with, I wouldn't take great care to not kill the mob.

I think the problem comes from most of the core maps as a whole. It's most noticeable in beginner zones now because there are newbies and they are highly populated, but it's there on higher level maps as well. The enemies and content is too easily overcome. There actually aren't any real challenges until at least 60-70 lvl maps perhaps. At least Orr can be challenging if nothing else. If you compare the core maps with HoT or PoF, you'd see what a large difference there is. And if you say 'oh, it's because they're 80lvl', it's not. I can run through (probably) all same level core maps without any problems. It's just easy content. The core content should be looked at again and just improved. The mobs and NPCs should be brought up in numbers, and event scaling should be looked at again.

Edit:

I am aware that there are problematic and ignorant players, but there aren't a lot of them and the problem is more noticeable because of the achivs (releasing them with the steam release was an astoundingly bad move that could have been anticipated by Anet) and because everyone is just rushing to complete them. And even if players know that they can do them on other maps, farming beginner zones is way too easy for them to give that up, especially since it's an easy way to wait for the world boss to spawn.

This won't go away and creating new low lvl instanced maps and such would be wasteful and not productive because you'd want for newbies and vets to play together. For example if I introduce new players to the game I'd like to play with them from the start and show them what I know.

The only solution, as I see it, to address the game balance and take a look at downscaling. Even with mounts. It would be easy to take away the damage aspect of mount attack and leave the secondary effects (pull, knock back and others). The core game numbers could be adjusted, as well as the skills and traits higher level players can use.

Edited by Daevhalla.7823

On 8/25/2022 at 12:51 AM, Shuzuru.3651 said:

That's not the good way to solve this problem. 

High level player going into low level zone is intended and expected, that's why the downscaling exist. 

The real problem is actually in 2 part, I guess :

First, the downscaling isn't severe enough, I don't know the exact mechanism, but if people can one-shot enemies, it's totally fine to make them weaker, way weaker. 

Second, aren't the core tyria enemies a little too squishy? I mean, I remember taking a lvl35 character in the 1-15 zone, he was normally equipped, not something to fancy, I had trouble finishing my auto attack, mobs were like 3shot by the auto. 

Level 80 players who have their level set by the map tend to have closer to the cap (For that level) stats than anything else.  This is why reaper before the death perception change could have nearly 2x crit damage multiplier and 83% crit chance in shroud.

The way stats like ferocity, expertise, concentration, precision, etc. are set to contribute causes big problems as you get more per point proportionally than you would at level 80 and the level 80 players just have more of these in general than a character who's in the most optimal of gear at the same level the 80 is scaled down to.  This compounds  with the problem that level 80 characters also have 3 full trait lines, superior runes, and food that gives straight damage multipliers (That +10% damage from traits/runes isn't getting reduced by being scaled down, for instance).

• Like 1