Can't open my account with expansions thru the steam application, help?

Hi all, old player here coming back to play GW2, lately i had an urge to come back and download the game again to start playing and i heard that GW2 is available on steam now but i cant seem to link my old account with the expansions with steam, do i have to launch the game with the client itself and leave the steam alone? Is there a way to merge the 2 accounts into one, i would like to launch the game from my steam account if its possible.

Cheers.

36 minutes ago, Ruser.1642 said:

Hi all, old player here coming back to play GW2, lately i had an urge to come back and download the game again to start playing and i heard that GW2 is available on steam now but i cant seem to link my old account with the expansions with steam, do i have to launch the game with the client itself and leave the steam alone? Is there a way to merge the 2 accounts into one, i would like to launch the game from my steam account if its possible.

Cheers.

That is because you cant do that you have to use the old client none steam.

Or start all over from scratch through steam.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

You can't merge a regular account with Steam or use Steam to buy stuff on a regular account, but you can launch a regular account through Steam. This only allows you to use Steam's software on a regular account, like if you wanted Steam to track your play time or use the overlay. To do this, set the following launch option for GW2 in Steam: -provider Portal

• Like 2

Alright so after i lost some time messing with files and stuff, YOU CAN actualy play on Steam with your old account and on top of that you dont have to re-download the 60GB of the game again you can just cut and paste the game folder to the steam folder then with the Steam Library open righ-click on the game, Properties and on launch options you add " -provider Portal " without the ", launch the game let it update and have fun, hope this helps some veteran and new players.

Cheers.

Edited by Ruser.1642
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Ruser.1642 said:

Alright so after i lost some time messing with files and stuff, YOU CAN actualy play on Steam with your old account and on top of that you dont have to re-download the 60GB of the game again you can just cut and paste the game folder to the steam folder then with the Steam Library open righ-click on the game, Properties and on launch options you add " -provider Portal " without the ", launch the game let it update and have fun, hope this helps some veteran and new players.

Cheers.

That's not playing the Steam version of the game, that's just moving the game somewhere else and putting a link into your Steam Library so you can launch the game from there as well. You are still playing via the official GW2 client on your old GW2 account. That's similar to placing a shortcut of GW2 on your desktop.

If you want to play on Steam, you will need to purchase the game on Steam and create a new GW2 account there. Old accounts are not ported to Steam.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

That's not playing the Steam version of the game, that's just moving the game somewhere else and putting a link into your Steam Library so you can launch the game from there as well. You are still playing via the official GW2 client on your old GW2 account. That's similar to placing a shortcut of GW2 on your desktop.

If you want to play on Steam, you will need to purchase the game on Steam and create a new GW2 account there. Old accounts are not ported to Steam.

You can also download it via the Steam client and put "%command% -provider Portal" in the launch options. (no quotes) It will let you log in as normally.

If you copy files from your existing GW2 install to the Steam one, the steam client will verify and download the files it needs (mostly those that integrate GW2 with the steam client.)  But aside from a few files that deal with the Steam API, it's identical to the non-Steam version of GW2.  (You can also copy/paste one GW2 install into another, to save a download.  My partner and I have done that, and keep a backup of GW2 on a shared server.)

Edited by garpu.6210
  • Confused 1