ARC DPS (and all damage meters) are ruining the game

SolidTx.3249

1 minute ago, Obtena.7952 said:

True, but predicting that all the sudden for no reason, people go crazy and do this in OW, is not a reason to make the meter not work in OW. 

We will limit the toxicity in the OW if it happening or not , or will in the future .

In instance content the dps meter is needed , i wont argue there

• Confused 6

1 minute ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Indeed. Why do you then think, that given the reasons for the toxicity remaining unchanged, people will suddenly start acting differently just because the tool is now official?

People will follow the basic guidelines created by the company . Dps addon is recognized and is used in the appropriate  areas

• Confused 4

Just now, Woof.8246 said:

We will limit the toxicity in the OW if it happening or not , or will in the future .

In instance content the dps meter is needed , i wont argue there

That doesn't make sense. A DPS meter that doesn't work in OW doesn't limit toxicity in OW. Players don't need a DPS meter to be toxic to others, regardless of the game mode, so limiting the meter function doesn't address the problem you think it does. 

I mean, you realize the current DPS meters don't actually work properly in OW already right? Making it official doesn't fix the problems you are talking about. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Woof.8246 said:

People will follow the basic guidelines created by the company . Dps addon is recognized and is used in the appropriate  areas

Any area is an appropriate one for the players to see and compare their performance to others if that's what they want.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

...you have no idea how dps addons actually function, do you? When you're in OW, other people cannot see your dps already. In order for them to be able to do so, you have to be in a grou or squad with them, and even then, the addon only shows the dps of top 10 players (and those are highly unlikely to get flamed. Because, you know, they are top 10 in a 50 man squad...).

Not to mention, you have already mentioned that we cannot trust people to behave. So, why do you think they will behave and follow the "basic guidelines" if they haven't before?

• Like 5

...you have no idea how dps addons actually function, do you? When you're in OW, other people cannot see your dps already. In order for them to be able to do so, you have to be in a grou or squad with them, and even then, the addon only shows the dps of top 10 players (and those are highly unlikely to get flamed. Because, you know, they are top 10 in a 50 man squad...).

Not to mention, you have already mentioned that we cannot trust people to behave. So, why do you think they will behave and follow the "basic guidelines" if they haven't before?

People will be forced to  follow the basic guidelines , because the addon will not be enabled there  ?

I have to copy-paste it , so other people joining read it more easily : Official Dps meter , doesnt work in Open-PvE

Edited by Woof.8246
  • Confused 5

Wait...

So now, with an unofficial DPS meter, people are breaking TOS if they want to insult people for low performance, but this TOS breaking is done with the blessing of the company, because reasons... but with an official DPS meter, people will... stop breaking the TOS? Because reasons, again, I assume?

Make it make sense, please.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As far as dps-related-threads-like-this-one , it won't EVER matter for OW . The company will guarantee it

That's not true ... I use a DPS meter in OW all the time. Who is to say limiting the possibility of toxicity in OW due to DPS meters (which doesn't exist in the first place) out weighs players desires to monitor their own OW DPS?

It's simple: a non-OW function official DPS meter doesn't change ANYTHING in OW because toxicity due to DPS in OW isn't a problem in the first place. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Wait...

So now, with an unofficial DPS meter, people are breaking TOS if they want to insult people for low performance, but this TOS breaking is done with the blessing of the company, because reasons... but with an official DPS meter, people will... stop breaking the TOS? Because reasons, again, I assume?

Make it make sense, please.

You can do whatever you want in instance content , from me

• Confused 7

2 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Not allowing dps meters in OW will not change absolutely anything at all compared to the current situation.

I don't see why not implanting it then .

We reduce the chance needed to re-install it with each patch and we don't become reliant in 3rd party addons

I have to copy-paste it , so other people joining read it more easily : Official Dps meter , doesnt work in Open-PvE

• Confused 3

Because people DO want to use DPS meters in OW to monitor their own DPS. 

Again, why is it more important to limit already non-existing toxicity in OW due to DPS meters at the expense of people that want to monitor their DPS in OW?

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2

We reduce the chance needed to re-install it with each patch and we don't become reliant in 3rd party addons

Because i do not trust Anet to do a good enough job. I have seen their implementation of templates, and that was a massive QoL downgrade compared to the previously available addon. So, no, thanks. I do not want to lose a good tool just because you have no idea how it works and completely misunderstand the issues it is mentioned alongside with.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

And there will be , in specific areas + training golems

No, that's not what we are talking about. If the golem is sufficient to monitor DPS in OW ... it's good for ANY game mode. You just invalidated the implementation of ANY DPS meter with this thinking. 

So again, even with the existence of the golem, how do you advocate an official DPS meter that doesn't function in OW?

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Haha 1

Because i do not trust Anet to do a good enough job. I have seen their implementation of templates, and that was a massive QoL downgrade compared to the previously available addon. So, no, thanks. I do not want to lose a good tool just because you have no idea how it works and completely misunderstand the issues it is mentioned alongside with.

Let's hope they 100% copy paste it and give some money to the person created it

• Confused 1

Just now, Obtena.7952 said:

No, that's not what we are talking about. If the golem is sufficient, you just invalidated the implementation of ANY DPS meter. 

Ok remove the golem internal meter and use the official meter (the ones used in instance content)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

You get an official DPS meter! But the default refresh rate is 30 seconds, and you need to buy a 400-gem per-character unlock to reduce it to 20, then 10, then 5. And it remembers only 1 previous fight to compare, and you need to buy a 250-gem per-character unlock per additional memory slot.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Woof.8246 said:

Let's hope they 100% copy paste it and give some money to the person created it

Like they did with templates (developed by the same person, btw)? Yeah, suuuure.

Yours is a pure miracle thinking. You are hoping changing something only tangentially related to the true issue somehow will fix that underlying issue, even when in reality it will remain completely untouched. It's like thinking that banning speed meters in cars would prevent car crashes due to people driving over speed limits.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Like they did with templates (developed by the same person, btw)? Yeah, suuuure.

Well they couldn't offer free-unlimited switch mechanic as far as Templates goes

Cant you save the code in .txt , like in GW1 ?

Edited by Woof.8246
  • Confused 4

Ok remove the golem internal meter and use the official meter (the ones used in instance content)

So let's recap ...

You want Anet to remove the golem, implement a non-OW DPS meter, just to ensure toxicity that already doesn't exist in OW due to DPS continues to not exist. It won't stop people from being toxic other ways if they want to though. So basically, you want Anet to do a whole bunch of work for no value add. 

I have a better idea.

Anet simply doesn't do any of what you say. We still continue to not have DPS toxicity in OW AND people can still continue to use the DPS meter in OW to monitor their performance if they want to. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Thanks 1