How should I approach living world season 1?

Hashiro.1824

Hello. So I just finished my personal story and defeated Zhaitan. But now I want to start living world season 1 and I'm quite lost about it.

From what I understand, living world season 1 was content that had to be removed from the game and, currently, years later, is being re-released, and we have 4 out of 5 episodes, right now. Considering that I want to be able to experience the story of this season, how do you recommend me to do that? Watch one of those long youtube videos? Also:

1 - Are these first 4 episodes in the game, in order? I don't want to start in the middle of a story or suddenly skip a few chapters.. If they're in order and not skipping anything, what if I played them and then, in case episode 5 is still not out there, I would just watch the rest in one of those youtube videos?

2 - Should I play Visions of the past as well? I have no idea, lol

Sorry, this is kinda confusing to me, I want to learn about the story of season 1 before proceding to season 2, but I have no Idea where to start and where to end... Some good recommendations from experienced players would be nice...

If you recommend me just to skip it in the game and watch a youtube video, can you send me a link of a specific one or tell me how to search for it (like the channel or something)?

• Like 1

My guess is that the 5th episode will come out in November.  October will have halloween as its new/active event, and December will have Wintersday, so November would seem to make sense as the time to slot in this 'new' LS1 chapter 5 content.

Plus, it would be about the right amount of time from the last release.

• Like 1

LWS1 is being re-released in chopped down format, yes. The first four episodes are in order in the story journal and the fifth (and last) is likely releasing in November.

There is a journal entry at the very bottom of the list called "Scarlet's War" which gives a VERY high level overview of the entire LWS1 storyline so you could just watch that when you finish LWS1 E4 if you want to continue on to LWS2.

The only part of Visions of the Past left from LWS1 is Canach's Lair. The whole part of LWS1 which prominently features Canach and Ellen Kiel is not returning so you can play that one. That instance chronologically took place after Flame and Frost but before Sky Pirates (and has basically no connection to that storyline at all).

If you want to actually understand what happened in LWS1 you probably are better off watching a long YouTube video or at least reading about each release on the wiki. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Release#Season_1

Edited by squeegee.4320
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Hashiro.1824 said:

From what I understand, living world season 1 was content that had to be removed from the game and, currently, years later, is being re-released, and we have 4 out of 5 episodes, right now. Considering that I want to be able to experience the story of this season, how do you recommend me to do that? Watch one of those long youtube videos? Also:

You are understanding correctly. However, Season 1 is not fully returning. The returning content is focusing on the half of Season 1 that related to Scarlet Briar, the main antagonist. The second half, focused around Ellen Kiel, as well as the festivals, did not return. Most of the festival stuff is fully inconsequential - only some Halloween and Wintersday 2013 had plot relevance, but it was fairly minor (foreshadowing for Episode 4, and foreshadowing for Episode 5 respectively).

My recommendation would be to play the Season 1 content that still exists in-game. Currently this is:

1. Episode 1: Flame and Frost
  2. Episode 2: Sky Pirates
  3. Episode 3: Clockwork Chaos
  4. Twilight Arbor's Aetherpath
  5. Episode 4: Tower of Nightmares
  6. Twisted Marionette

There are achievements directing you to do Aetherpath and Twisted Marionette after completing the prior episode. Episode 5 should be coming in November, if guesses are correct (we should find out October 9th iirc, for when the next roadmap gets released).

1 - Are these first 4 episodes in the game, in order? I don't want to start in the middle of a story or suddenly skip a few chapters.. If they're in order and not skipping anything, what if I played them and then, in case episode 5 is still not out there, I would just watch the rest in one of those youtube videos?

Yes, Episodes 1-4, and the upcoming 5th, are in story order. But there are some "skips", the aforementioned Kiel related releases. A lot of the open world content didn't return, too. Especially for Episodes 2 and 3. But that is mostly just world fluff and not the main story.

The full Season 1 release content arcs was:

1. Shadow of the Mad King (festival)
  2. The Lost Shores (not returned)
  3. The Wonderful Workshop of Tixx (festival)
  4. Flame and Frost (returned)
  5. Super Adventure Box (festival)
  6. Secret of Southsun (not returned)
  7. Sky Pirates (returned)
  8. Cutthroat Politics (not returned)
  9. Clockwork Chaos (returned)
  10. Super Adventure Box: Back to School (festival)
  11. Tequatl Rising (not returned)
  12. Twilight Assault (was always in-game)
  13. Blood and Madness (festival)
  14. Tower of Nightmares (returned)
  15. A Very Merry Wintersday (festival)
  16. The Origins of Madness (psuedo-returned in 2020)
  17. Battle for Lion's Arch (will return)
  18. Festival of the Four Winds (festival)

2 - Should I play Visions of the past as well? I have no idea, lol

By now, only one Vision of the Past remains as they removed them as they were brought back via the story journal. This one, Canach's Lair, is tied to one of the Kiel releases (Secret of Southsun arc) and by itself would provide pretty much zero context or understanding. Not only that, you'd have to do Icebrood Saga story stuff, which contains massive spoilers.

I would not recommend.

Sorry, this is kinda confusing to me, I want to learn about the story of season 1 before proceding to season 2, but I have no Idea where to start and where to end... Some good recommendations from experienced players would be nice...

If you recommend me just to skip it in the game and watch a youtube video, can you send me a link of a specific one or tell me how to search for it (like the channel or something)?

I think it's fine to play the four episodes + other two group content in-game. There were some alterations here and there but it's pretty much the same original experience in general, and what you're missing out you'd be missing out in the videos anyways.

After you complete what's returned, I would recommend watching some videos though, to understand the missing content as it is still all canon and some of it, particularly relating to Canach (and depending on what is done with Episode 5, also Taimi), are relevant to the story from Season 2 onward.

The three videos/playlsits I recommend are:

• The three hour movie by DreamyAbaddon. I personally no longer recommend this one as while it is comprehensive, it's told out of order and in a very bizarre manner, while also including Season 4 content that isn't relevant and only detracts from the watching IMO (especially since it's so long with so much information as is). The main benefit is that it includes some in-game audio and community readings of the short stories
  • The one hour video by WoodenPotatoes. It's also comprehensive and shorter, though it is missing some very minor story releases (such as Tequatl Rising), but it's also fully in order. I don't recall if he does readings of the short stories though.
  • My 9 video (~2 hours in total) videos of reach story arc. I restricted myself to just in-game footage and audio to provide the most direct storytelling. I released it after ArenaNet announced Season 1's return before they were ideal so there are some issues here and there, and have been slowly working on remaking them properly.
  • Alternatively you can read the wiki's recap here.
Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

By now, only one Vision of the Past remains as they removed them as they were brought back via the story journal. This one, Canach's Lair, is tied to one of the Kiel releases (Secret of Southsun arc) and by itself would provide pretty much zero context or understanding.

Well it's possible that the Southsun Cove story part of Living World Season 1 might be added back. Also Bobby Stein confirmed that this part of the story might be returning in the future.

But for now I think it was more important to add the main part (Scarlet's War) of Living World Season 1 first, the other part can be added later.

Thanks everyone that replied, particularly Konig Des Todes.2086 for the very detailed answer. I think I will try to do everything from episode 1 to 18. Those that are in the game I do it, otherwise, I will try to find in a video, if possible. If impossible to find, I'll just skip.

1 hour ago, Hashiro.1824 said:

Thanks everyone that replied, particularly Konig Des Todes.2086 for the very detailed answer. I think I will try to do everything from episode 1 to 18. Those that are in the game I do it, otherwise, I will try to find in a video, if possible. If impossible to find, I'll just skip.

To be clear, only the first list is still that is in-game year round. Some of the S1 festivals' content return, well during the festivals. None are running atm, Halloween is coming soon though it didn't have any S1 main storyline to it.

The links I provided are probably your best bet of videos, sadly.

Either way, enjoy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

To be clear, only the first list is still that is in-game year round. Some of the S1 festivals' content return, well during the festivals. None are running atm, Halloween is coming soon though it didn't have any S1 main storyline to it.

The links I provided are probably your best bet of videos, sadly.

Either way, enjoy.

Yeah, I understood that first list.

And I will use one of those links.

Thanks.

Edited by Hashiro.1824

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 11:37 PM, MashMash.1645 said:

Also, if you want to do the Twisted Marrionette, make sure to be there AT DAILY RESET, because outside that public run, it's sorta dead.

But it usually pops at least once a day at that time.

Note: That's for NA.

On EU daily reset is late at night and you'll have a hard time getting a group together for anything. It's better to try a few hours before that, around 17:00 - 22:00 UTC.

• Like 1