Really enjoying HOT / Maguuma 2nd go-around

I played Heart of Thorns when it first came out and the best I can probably say is that "I got through it." 

But I'm playing through it again on another character - a Thief no less - and I'm really enjoying it this time. The fact that I have a maxed-out glider and a Skyscale probably helps.

I'm noticing how thematically cohesive and fun the setting is this time around. On my first playthrough it never clicked with me how much the crashed airships are core to the experience. For example, I never knew that Scrappers are a profession that emerged literally to salvage the airships (probably because I didn't play Engineer). I like finding the chests that fell from named airships. I like the camp of stranded nobles who thought it would be fun to cheer on the Pact in their own airship. 

The Commander also gets to be pretty kitten. On my original playthrough I think there had been a gap between the preceding Living World and HOT, so it hadn't really sunk in that the Commander had been away from the Pact for a while; so when she steps in here to save the day its a pretty nice moment. 

HOT seems less a slog this time, and more a playground. 

Still can't find my way through Tangled Depths though. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

I like to think that Tangled Depths is so clever it physically changes every time I enter it and why I always get lost even though I’ve been there hundreds of times.

It helps…

But, yes HoT is fantastic in design. It doesn’t appeal to everyone, but in what it sets out to do, it achieves near perfectly. It’s just too short imo

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Squeesidhe.4761 said:

I played Heart of Thorns when it first came out and the best I can probably say is that "I got through it." 

But I'm playing through it again on another character - a Thief no less - and I'm really enjoying it this time. The fact that I have a maxed-out glider and a Skyscale probably helps.

I'm noticing how thematically cohesive and fun the setting is this time around. On my first playthrough it never clicked with me how much the crashed airships are core to the experience. For example, I never knew that Scrappers are a profession that emerged literally to salvage the airships (probably because I didn't play Engineer). I like finding the chests that fell from named airships. I like the camp of stranded nobles who thought it would be fun to cheer on the Pact in their own airship. 

The Commander also gets to be pretty kitten. On my original playthrough I think there had been a gap between the preceding Living World and HOT, so it hadn't really sunk in that the Commander had been away from the Pact for a while; so when she steps in here to save the day its a pretty nice moment. 

HOT seems less a slog this time, and more a playground. 

Still can't find my way through Tangled Depths though. 

Liked it the first time (after some initial shell shock from post-core) and still do but haven't been thru in a while. I hate to say it but I think it might have been better to go in a sequence Core, PoF, HoT, EoD as far as map styles. After a number of discussions in Guild what got people the most was that they were used to you do a full clear of a map, where in HoT that wasn't the way it was designed so it threw people off. After we got that into peoples mindset they could enjoy it more. Is even better once you discover the air highways throughout the maps since people were also left with you can only get on top during the events which wasn't true with the airlift highways you just had to find the super-updrafts. So will still say to newer HoT players if you want more challenge do it without mounts, if its too much go forward to PoF to get some mounts to help and then you can mix and match your challenge level. Still would say HoT is best expansion as far as challenge goes, and say this more of a WvWer in my PvXer gaming time. HoT pulled me more out of WvW than the other expansions. Just remember while in in AB, you should be ready to PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes!  The first time I was just trying not to dir and figure out what the heck I'm doing.  Going back on another character was a lot more fun.  The maps are wonderfully constructed, flow together, and the story progression makes sense as you proceed through.  

Playing it my first time on a sylvari ranger gave the story a very personal feel and a sense of urgency.  The second time as a charr revenant made me feel heroic and epic lol.  Having maxed gliding and other masteries and mounts the second time makes it easier but also more enjoyable to explore.

Glad you're having fun OP!!!

1 hour ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Glad you're having fun OP!!!

Me, too.  Glad you're having fun.  I don't like HoT and hardly ever step foot in those maps, but that's one of the things that is so cool about GW2.  I don't have to if I don't want to, and these maps are there for those who enjoy them.  I do appreciate HoT for what was done there, but that's about it.  🙂

• Like 1