Memorials/celebration idea

I’ve been to many ingame memorials for lost players, birthday celebrations and even a mini ingame wedding. And I was thinking it would be nice for an item we could use in game. 

something like a floating lantern, could have gemstone skins, but you pay a gold for 10 minutes  as an example and you can write a message on your lantern, anyone that swims up to your lantern can read what it says and anyone can pay to extend the time it’s there. 

imagine a player has passed away and on the anniversary of their passing the water in LA had lots of tributes for people to remember them by.

just an idea that popped into my head I thought I’d share.

• Like 4

I'm not against Anet adding a floating lantern object somehow, but I don't like the idea of having one designated item for all these player-created events. One thing that makes a lot of the celebrations, gatherings and especially memorials meaningful is that they're personalised to the player they're for and the ones running it. One of my guilds did a birthday party for one of the officers where we set up a guild banquet, someone played music through Discord and we all had a virtual party. For another members birthday party we all ran around with balloons and played hide-and-seek in the guild hall. It was different because that's what each person wanted. Likewise one of my guilds has a couple of monuments set up in the guild hall for different members (not all have passed away, for example one is a merchant sailor who gets to play about once a year but is real-life friends with some of the members, so when he's away they have a "lost at sea" memorial for him).

I think it would lose something if Anet put in one 'official' way to celebrate or remember other players and everyone had to use the same method for everything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think it's actually a nice idea.  Besides the in-game ones that already exist, a temporary lantern would be quite sweet and a quiet tribute.  Yes, one can already utilize guild items and create your own ceremonies, but it might be nice to have something like that to take to a favorite spot on a map. 

• Like 1

This might not be closely the same as you imagined OP, but I think BlishHUD has a messaging system similiar to the Souls' message system, where you can place messages all around the world.

So while it isn't a official system, I think you could use this for something similiar, for now.

Example:

Edited by Raknar.4735
  • Confused 2

I like the idea! Just not the part where we have to pay to keep the lantern there for longer. I think paying homage to someone or something should be easy and free, so that more people can do it if they want to. Unless it's a really, really, really low price, but in that case what's the point? Can you please elaborate on this? Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

I like the idea! Just not the part where we have to pay to keep the lantern there for longer. I think paying homage to someone or something should be easy and free, so that more people can do it if they want to. Unless it's a really, really, really low price, but in that case what's the point? Can you please elaborate on this? Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks 🙂 

Well it could be anything, a couple of silver to reset the timer to an hour or maybe 5 obsidian shards, anything really. That way it’s up to people to keep them afloat and not just a set time then it’s gone for good. Could always say you pay and it stays there till the map closes I guess, was more thinking of the usage and Anet loves a gold sink 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raknar.4735 said:

This might not be closely the same as you imagined OP, but I think BlishHUD has a messaging system similiar to the Souls' message system, where you can place messages all around the world.

So while it isn't a official system, I think you could use this for something similiar, for now.

Example:

I really like that, I think I’d still like an item, seeing writing all over the place with messages is cool, but going around doing my thing then in the middle of a cave with a bit of water I spot a lantern or a rubber duck and having to go up to it to see why it’s there I think had a more sentimental feeling behind it. I’m still using taco but think I’ll check out blish to see if I can find any 😊

• Like 1