Looking for a melee build

Logos.3042

Don’t really care what specs or trait lines, but I want to build a melee bruiser that can take a hit for open world and soloing lots of mobs and hero points. 

Thinking about sword/X, skirmishing, wilderness survival, untamed (1,1,1) focus on daze with either dire with runes of thorn or TB. 

Alternative thoughts of celestial trinkets + marshals armor and weapons with skirmishing, nature, and maybe Druid. 

Thinking it should have good protection uptime. 

Any thoughts on this? Looks like I can get sustain from port uptime, healing from nature trait lines, especially Windborne Notes, soulbeast heal from poison application, or daze/disable from untamed.

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Logos.3042 said:

Thinking about sword/X, skirmishing, wilderness survival, untamed (1,1,1) focus on daze with either dire with runes of thorn or TB.

Untamed is best but i'm sure everyone wants you to play Soulbeast.

Hammer is very good if you can control the switching

• Like 1

Power hammer untamed. Yes it's very tanky even with zerk gear, rune choice is optional, can go for something more offensive ofc. Can go spirits , but i found them to be very annoying, especially open world, because they have to be resummoned all the time.

Cele axe untamed - better at soloing difficult bosses, great dps potential if you know how to play it, but less bursty vs trash mobs and relies on storm spirit for full potential. Easy to survive with, hard to play well.

Cele "condi" soulbeast  - good sustain from Predator's Cunning, regen, prot. Downside is that you'd have to trade dmg and sustain for a stunbreak (preferable dolyak stance) and it doesn't have quite as much dmg as a well played untamed, but easier to pull off.

Those builds don't have to be copied 1:1, there are ofc some reasonable variations that can be made, but it gives you an idea what to aim for. The cele builds aren't full melee, but still shine at close range (and having at least some ranged dmg can be very handy).

Avoid stats like dire or marshal, they are garbage. Cele is all you need for tanky builds.

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Logos.3042 said:

Thanks!  Are there any other stats mix with Cele?  Trinkets are no problem for cele, but armor and weapons are expensive to craft cele.

Viper or trailblazer would be the best alternatives, but i'm not sure how much cheaper those actually are. If you really can't afford those yet, you can also mix in some dire or rabid, but you should be aware that those stats are significantly worse. For open world you'll still be fine tho, so don't worry too much. Depending on your gear choice your crit chance and power stats can drop quite low, so you might wanna consider swapping out sharpened edges, vicious quarry and "on crit" sigils.

(Crafting cele isn't actually that expensive, it just requires timegated materials, which is why it's so expensive to buy. Some achievements and festival rewards (eg. ghostly racing scarf) also grant stat selectable exotic and ascended gear which can be used for more or less cheap cele pieces.)

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907

1 hour ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Viper or trailblazer would be the best alternatives, but i'm not sure how much cheaper those actually are. If you really can't afford those yet, you can also mix in some dire or rabid, but you should be aware that those stats are significantly worse. For open world you'll still be fine tho, so don't worry too much. Depending on your gear choice your crit chance and power stats can drop quite low, so you might wanna consider swapping out sharpened edges, vicious quarry and "on crit" sigils.

(Crafting cele isn't actually that expensive, it just requires timegated materials, which is why it's so expensive to buy. Some achievements and festival rewards (eg. ghostly racing scarf) also grant stat selectable exotic and ascended gear which can be used for more or less cheap cele pieces.)

Thanks!  you may have just inspired me to craft cele armor :D