On Balance Philosophy: Power Budget

oscuro.9720

15 hours ago, eXruina.4956 said:

i'd say warrior's way under budget.

15 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

And over taxed.

Does this mean Warrior is a regular citizen, while every else is a Hollywood actor?

On a more serious note, I wonder what their power budget will end up being defined as and if Warrior isn't treated differently from every other professions for once.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

They could start by looking at skills nearly nobody uses in any game mode , especially if they don't do damage.

IMO, this is why hammer was finally looked at. It was because one was using it. They scratched their heads in why. They looked at feedback and saw why. Then they actually did something about it.

We'd probably have to stop playing warrior altogether to get more changes lol.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jzaku.9765 said:

Normally I find it unbelievably cringe to be so full of yourself that you ping the dev directly, but this is a fantastic post. Great work Oscuro, hope cmc sees this. 

I do as well, but kinda said kitten it, since I was posting this in the Warrior forum since it was probably too long to put as a comment. It also builds on some of my past posts, which is why I thought the Warrior forum was appropriate even though it really is general and not too much about Warrior.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Yes, but we can't really pontificate over this until we know right?

I blame my STEM background honestly. They dangled a quantitative metric in front of me and know I want to play with it.

THERE COULD BE SPREADSHEETS DAMNIT!!! ><

I understand this. Knowing there’s numbers but having to guess is frustrating (one of my majors in college was statistics). Then again, I’m not sure that’s something they would disclose to random forum folk. 

Also, spreadsheets incorporated into the forums when???

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jzaku.9765 said:

Normally I find it unbelievably cringe to be so full of yourself that you ping the dev directly, but this is a fantastic post. Great work Oscuro, hope cmc sees this. 

oh i didn't know this was some sort of taboo. 😶

i've seen many people do it, i thought it was normal and just addressing them. 🤔

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, oscuro.9720 said:

I understand this. Knowing there’s numbers but having to guess is frustrating (one of my majors in college was statistics). Then again, I’m not sure that’s something they would disclose to random forum folk. 

Also, spreadsheets incorporated into the forums when???

i'm fine with specifics remaining undisclosed, too much transparency can be disruptive and will open them to harmful scrunity and criticism.

afterall we all have our opinions for what we want for the game.

i don't mind if they're not an open book about everything.

i just want them to make balance better, knowing they have a guideline and what the guideline generally is, is satisfactory enough for me.

i'd trust them and let them do their work.

Edited by eXruina.4956
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Verdict is Vengence.6912 said:

IMO, this is why hammer was finally looked at. It was because one was using it. They scratched their heads in why. They looked at feedback and saw why. Then they actually did something about it.

We'd probably have to stop playing warrior altogether to get more changes lol.

2 hours ago, eXruina.4956 said:

i'm fine with specifics remaining undisclosed, too much transparency can be disruptive and will open them to harmful scrunity and criticism.

afterall we all have our opinions for what we want for the game.

i don't mind if they're not an open book about everything.

i just want them to make balance better, knowing they have a guideline and what the guideline generally is, is satisfactory enough for me.

i'd trust them and let them do their work.

This would be my view if they form any kind of track record proving that they understand how people play their game, and balance makes things people struggle to play betrer over time. 

Im trying so hard to kitten and just go play the game but I keep having to come back here and whine because of nerfs with the intent of buffs.

I respect cmc and roy for stepping up to this though. That takes cajones, given how willing we (well me, at least) are to get toxic levels of critical at oversights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah...no...I'm going to poo-poo this entire "balance philosophy". Because there is none. I read that post and immediately called it out. No personal attacks, just immediately and harshly addressed the hypocrisy of such a hollow "philosophy".

gw2 has been trying to reinvent the wheel for 10 years now. Instead of sticking with proven RPG designs because they are too STUBBORN to admit that they were WRONG, they inconsistently fumble with different concepts and don't stick to ANY of them.

The primary reason why I even support the recent warrior changes in the first place is because they fulfill and define the RPG class archetype(aka melee with some support). However, I cannot say the same for the overall gw2 system and philosophy, which to my knowledge: is not even defined yet. It always seems to change arbitrarily and inconsistently based on developers' and players' whims.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

yeah, i remain skeptical given their track record. this time around only results will convince me. but i'm willing to give it a chance and see what they do.

we've all heard promises of rainbows and unicorns before 🌈 🦄, this time is yet to be any different.

that said i hope they deliver, with the current gamestate, setting things straight will be a huge undertaking.

i truly wish them luck. hope they give us a good showing. 💪

Edited by eXruina.4956
  • Confused 1