Gen1 Precursor Collections.

Metaljaw.6437

1 hour ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

Clearly this was a mistake because Anet abandoned the legendary collections,  because very few people did them because it was cheaper just to buy them off the to. If they would have done what they did with gen 3 precursors, made them modestly priced to build and not worry about tanking the price of precursors at the time, we would have had more people engaging in precursor collections, and that content may have  continued to get developed.

I'm not sure, if that would have helped much, without a big reduction of the pre-droprate. Afaik tradeable gen 3 pres can only drop from 9 EoD-strike-coffers, while gen 1 can drop nearly anywhere, no matter which gamemode, expansion etc. So I guess the collection pres would be undercut by drops soon.

Bear in mind gen 1 precursor prices started dropping months before the collections were added to the game (they were added when HoT launched). It's likely a lot of the high price before that was people speculating on legendaries - buying them up to sell later for a profit, and all those people clearing their stashes in anticipation of the price dropping did more to affect the price than the collections themselves.

I remember some people at the time being confused and disappointed because they assumed the collections would make precursors much cheaper and were surprised to find that wasn't the case.

• Like 1

My whole point is that I am actively discouraged from doing the achievements because it is such a gold sink with no reward (other than a few AP (9 total - for all three collection - not even 1/5th of a festival annual AP reward). It just isn't worth it. I actually want to do the collections. But I can't justify it. That's poor game design. And most of it is the ill-thought out T2 collection. I mean, seriously???

• Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 1:53 AM, Metaljaw.6437 said:

My whole point is that I am actively discouraged from doing the achievements because it is such a gold sink with no reward (other than a few AP (9 total - for all three collection - not even 1/5th of a festival annual AP reward). It just isn't worth it.

If it's not worth it to you, then don't do then.

On 12/1/2022 at 1:53 AM, Metaljaw.6437 said:

I actually want to do the collections. But I can't justify it. That's poor game design. And most of it is the ill-thought out T2 collection. I mean, seriously???

Again, if you don't value what you get from the collections enough to spend the gold, then don't. 

Unlike in the past, you now do have the optional cheaper TP precursors.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 12/2/2022 at 5:45 AM, Cyninja.2954 said:

If it's not worth it to you, then don't do then.

Again, if you don't value what you get from the collections enough to spend the gold, then don't. 

You are missing the entire point of forums - to complain about Devs' poor gaming implementation choices and how we would do it differently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 12/2/2022 at 12:45 PM, Cyninja.2954 said:

the tp has always been an option. 

But the fact remains that the collections are poorly implemented, even Anet themselves said that's why almost no one actually does them and they stopped developing them

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sarius.9285 said:

the tp has always been an option. 

But the fact remains that the collections are poorly implemented, even Anet themselves said that's why almost no one actually does them and they stopped developing them

The function word being "cheaper". The precursors are now CHEAPER on the trading post than in the past.

At the same time, should the price ever increase again, the collections pose a somewhat limit to how far the price would go.

Which I actually agree with, prices have bottomed out again. If the economy was adjusted so that not everything is super cheap, except for ultra rare items, this "problem" would also again go away.

Edited by Cyninja.2954