Update & Downloading Files [Merged]

15 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

If everything was packed into a single file, you would only save ~10 minutes on the download. The main slowdown comes from having to patch 169k files. Some people may find it quicker to disable delta patching (-nodelta) and just download the full files, as it's having to decompress, apply a patch and re-compress ~163k files; at the very least, it would give the illusion of a faster download.

it would significant, much > 10min

if all files are packed into a single file, this mean the download speed can be maximised to what the server side and your internet connection can handle instead of serving 1 files at a time, that's why you see your download speed spike to 1mb at times, those are the bigger files, not to mentioned it can be compressed into smaller size.

decompression and patching locally can take advantage of multi threading, meaning the more cpu count the faster it can patch, the storage speed also helps

Edited by crepuscular.9047

2 hours ago, crepuscular.9047 said:

it would significant, much > 10min

More specifically, I would have personally only saved 10 minutes, since that's how long it took me to download all of the files myself (I run my own patch server).

Fun fact, this patch was a ~1 GB download (~85 MB wasted on http headers) that modified 169k files (25% of the files in Gw2.dat), totaling 13 GB worth of files.