Help choosing among the 3 OW builds

Cell.6821

Hi all,

I'm hoping for advice to choose among 3 OW builds. I understand for OW generally all build is feasible. Since I'm not the most skilled player, I tend to go for the most "effective" build, or at least the build that is easy-yet-effective to play. My current main is to get 100% map completion (for the first time ever), and that means a lot of killings for the heart quests.

I roughly tested out the 3 builds and each has its pros and cons and it's putting me at a dilemma. While ultimately it's up to each individual's preference, I'm wondering what you guys prefer:

Build 1: Shortbow + Corruption 113 + Invocation 212 + Renegade 222

Build 2: Shortbow + Devastation 233 + Invocation 112 + Renegade 131

Build 3: Shortbow + Devastation 333 + Corruption 131 + Renegade 221

I specifically choose Shortbow-centric builds. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

It partially depends on what stats you're running. If you're not running condi stats then there is no reason to run Corruption; it's wasted without condi stats.

Imo, the best OW Ren is condi based and runs Devastation/Corruption/Renegade. Invocation is better for Fractals/Raids, but isn't really quite as good for OW because it lacks a lot of sustain compared to the Devastation variant and doesn't do enough extra damage to justify dropping the sustain (in OW only, ofc).

Devastation 2, 1 or 3, 3 (middle trait 1 for more fury, 3 for more sustain)

Corruption 1, 3, 1

Renegade 2, 2, 1 or 2 (1 gives more passive might gen, 2 gives more consistent might gen but you have to press the button/micro it more)

Edited by LucianTheAngelic.7054
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

It partially depends on what stats you're running. If you're not running condi stats then there is no reason to run Corruption; it's wasted without condi stats.

Imo, the best OW Ren is condi based and runs Devastation/Corruption/Renegade. Invocation is better for Fractals/Raids, but isn't really quite as good for OW because it lacks a lot of sustain compared to the Devastation variant and doesn't do enough extra damage to justify dropping the sustain (in OW only, ofc).

Devastation 2, 1 or 3, 3 (middle trait 1 for more fury, 3 for more sustain)

Corruption 1, 3, 1

Renegade 2, 2, 1 or 2 (1 gives more passive might gen, 2 gives more consistent might gen but you have to press the button/micro it more)

Thanks for the input! Currently I'm in Celestial stats. Mostly Exotics though a few are Ascended.

I didn't realize Invocation is better for Fractral/Raid. That's a great point. I'll go Devas/Corrup/Renegade for OW for now. Also great breakdown of whether the trait is more burst or sustain. For someone like me who isn't aware of the synergy between the traits, it makes it easier to choose based on the kind of build I'm going for.

Thanks once again!

• Thanks 1

Imo run this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmgAUZltQHsNyhpRNsM6hNSfMDKgJ1l/TD-zxIY1oiHAA-e

It's an Invo Deva Rene build but Rene takes 221, which simplifies what you have to do. Invocation is pretty powerful due to its ability to pretty much keep Fury on you at all times, combined with Brutual Momentum and Celestial stats, you are at near 100% crit all the time if you don't dodge: which you don't have to unless really needed due to having so much sustain. 

This build also runs Charged Mists, so you pretty much dump Energy in each Legend, then swap and continue. Just press buttons in between. It's foolproof and easy to play. Open world doesn't get any easier than this. 

• Confused 2

23 hours ago, Cell.6821 said:

Thanks for the input! Currently I'm in Celestial stats. Mostly Exotics though a few are Ascended.

I didn't realize Invocation is better for Fractral/Raid. That's a great point. I'll go Devas/Corrup/Renegade for OW for now. Also great breakdown of whether the trait is more burst or sustain. For someone like me who isn't aware of the synergy between the traits, it makes it easier to choose based on the kind of build I'm going for.

Thanks once again!

Since you’re running celestial definitely run corruption. It boosts your condi damage output significantly and is the main damage increase traitline. I disagree with Yasai’s suggestion above for Invo/dev/Ren; it’s definitely worse than cor/dev/Ren for a celestial build. If you want/need extra fury assassin’s presence (in devastation) is a solid option for it (and condi builds (which is what celestial is, really) don’t really need the precision anyway) 

• Thanks 1

Just to add in here, for purely open world builds, I recommend running firework runes. It’s just a all around solid power rune (which generally you want more power weighting that condi if you plan to kill lots of trash mobs) and comes with an amazing 6th set bonus. For the most part this should solve any fury issues at the beginning of a fight and should last long enough to trigger into the 50% hp fury in the renegade line unless you’re fighting champions and some niche elites. 

personally I run a diviner sword/sword renegade build feels super solid, but I miss the good old days when battle scars was crazy strong. I can post it if interested, but it’s a bit less forgiving than pew pew’ing with a shortbow and having some distance adding to your sustain 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Didn't post since the topic was about Renegade iterations with short bow and I didn't want to derrail the conversation, but since Cell expressed interest in OW "easy and effective" I must say: I recently played  Hizen's condi Vindicator build and that thing can solo the Balrog of Moria, I swear. Albeit the dps is modest, easily reaches burst of 46+ stacks of torment and the self sustain is pre-tormenting runes nerfs IF not higher. If you have acces to EoD you should check it out:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmzAkeZlhQmsI6kJRpMIClBSqMBqkjyzasF-zxIY1ojvMyMB6oA8+AEue41AipNQFA-e

Essentially, any foe which lacks a mechanic which insta-kills you or delivers over 25k damage across 2.9k armor in a single hit...  You can face tank it.

Edited by Buran.3796
  • Confused 1

I have to agree with Buran.  And give it a +1.  Hizen has 2 Vindicator builds up--one for condi damage using mace/axe an d i believe a power  version using the GS.  He called his condition damage build "Immortal".  While it does less damage then the power version--~13.5 vs. ~14.1 dps--it is an incredible build.   I have been using it for a week now and it has become my favourite. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1