[deleted]

8 hours ago, chromodynamix.2495 said:

This technology can, when properly implemented, reduce game load times by up to 5x; rather than using the CPU to decompress data, it uses the GPU.  Any word on whether or not GW2 will support this?

GW2 is currently only at implementing dx11 stage, with no current plans for dx12 in sight. From what i remember, DirectStorage is tied to dx12. That should pretty much answer your question, don;t you think?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

58 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

GW2 is currently only at implementing dx11 stage, with no current plans for dx12 in sight. From what i remember, DirectStorage is tied to dx12. That should pretty much answer your question, don;t you think?

Not tied to the game rendering. It is entirely doable to create a dx11 game that uses the one dx12 feature on compliant hardware.
Worth it? Eh. But doable.

• Confused 3

On 1/17/2023 at 4:16 AM, Khisanth.2948 said:

How much difference would that actually make? My loading time is around 10 seconds and this is with a SSD from a few years ago. The latest PCIe4 version is apparently twice as fast.

I bought a new nvme drive recently, and not one of the super speedy ones, just a "regular one", and the load times are already ridiculously fast, even compared to the SSD i had GW2 on before, and that was fast too.

I also don't know what benefit that would be. And Anet would yet again lock the game, to even smaller audience due to it needing dx12 and w10/11, and possibly bork it on Linux, which is a bad idea since, Steam deck runs on it, and they need to make sure it runs on linux.

• Confused 1

On 1/17/2023 at 10:56 AM, The Boz.2038 said:

Not tied to the game rendering. It is entirely doable to create a dx11 game that uses the one dx12 feature on compliant hardware.
Worth it? Eh. But doable.

Doable? Possibly. A lot of thing are "doable". Creating a game that uses two different directx layers at the same time is definitely not impossible. So far however i have only heard of exactly one dx11 title that got DirectStorage capability implemented later on. It's Witcher 3. And, interestingly enough, that DS compatibility got implemented as part of dx12 update, and is only available in dx12 mode, but not in dx11 one.

So, i still would not expect DS compatibility in GW2 before the title goes dx12 (if that ever happens, that is).

If you heard otherwise however, and can point to even one game with direct storage implemented in dx11 mode, i'm all ears.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2