Ping issue [Merged]

Problem still ongoing. Since last night it is almost impossible to log in again.

The only way to get the game to work correctly with a stable ping is to use a VPN and pretend I am in the USA. Then everything works normally with 0 issues.

This proves it is not a problem locally and is indeed some issue with routing.

HANOI (Vietnam News/Asia News Network): Vietnamese internet service providers have confirmed that four out of five submarine internet cables that connect the country to the world are experiencing issues, seriously affecting performance and reliability.

Two lines, the Asia-America Gateway (AAG) and Asia Pacific Gateway (APG), are completely offline at the moment, the Asia Africa Europe 1 (AAE-1) line is seeing disruptions towards the Hong Kong hub, while the Intra Asia (IA) line cable is seeing problems near the Singapore hub.

This is the first time such incidents have happened at the same time, and even more unfortunately, during the Lunar New Year holiday.

Many internet users have complained of slow and unreliable internet connections in recent times, ISPs have said. https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus-news/2023/02/01/internet-slows-as-vietnam-submarine-cables-suffer-unprecedented-disruptions

Looks like we're all playing offline games for a bit.. or get lucky with VPN routing. 

AAG Cable https://www.submarinecablemap.com/submarine-cable/asia-america-gateway-aag-cable-system

Edited by Pinkeh.4207
  • Like 1

This seemed to be slightly better yesterday, but I am experiencing this issue again quite severely today.

I am based in South Africa. This issue seems to have started about two weeks ago, a little before the last WvW server relinking. The impact is most pronounced in competitive game modes, but I have experienced it in both open world and instanced PvE as well.

I ran various internet speed tests and connection tests while this was going on and can confirm that my own internet was stable and operating at the usual speeds.

ArcDPS indicates extreme variances in server tick rates while this is going on. Usually I have a stable 25-30, but during these times it has a tendency to drop below 5.

• Confused 1

On 1/29/2023 at 2:26 AM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

The devs likely can't help you with this issue, as they don't run the servers. Its Amazon Web Services (AWS), so the most they can do is communicate with the Amazon engineers on your behalf.

Well, not to be rude, but... duh?

It's not like we're supposed to seek AWS and investigate ourselves. I wonder if the devs/support team are aware of the problem and doing something about it. I thought their communication with their community had gotten better and that's one of the reasons I returned to the game recently.

Those lag spikes, though... Worst part is - and I'm not blaming Anet's team, before someone gets all defensive in their behalf - I actually paid for a annual subscription to a VPN (or GPN as some would say) to make sure I wouldn't have latency issues but it's been terrible. At least it helps a lot with other mmos, just not so much with GW2.

Edited by dXfile.2863
  • Like 4

Same issue the last couple weeks from NZ. Might try a VPN but my PvP is laughable enough already without the additional ping causing skill lag
On the fastest fibre connection I can get currently 800-900 down and 400-500 up, so bandwidth is not the issue

It seems to be fine in the morning (NZ time) but gets worse after 2-3pm. The entire household of 4 adults are internet streaming/game enjoyers and they have had no issues. it has to be AWS/Guild Wars related?

Edited by wiffinberg.6451
  • Like 1

I don't know if this is the right area or not to discuss this but my ping since Monday has been up to 2k of ping which is ridiculously High and ridiculously unplayable and especially wanting to do PvP but I can't (which I have not done. Because of dishonor)  I get delayed actions and few times of client disconnects. I want to know if it's generally my WiFi or guild wars 2 servers playing up or something.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 6:26 PM, BlackFish.1402 said:

Using Exitlag is the only thing giving me a solid stable ping but the Firewall router error message is constant and Anet blames my connection even tho its great in other games..

https://gyazo.com/03399e549546dd402b37f3f3dcd1d5d3 Connection speed

https://gyazo.com/0ea4421e09e2fed51c11b87409339507 error message non stop

I had to get Exitlag, or I could not play. 

• Like 1

From Singapore here, 

Have been playing Gw2 on 100+ ping, which is manageable and fine on the US server.

However this week particularly, my average ping has rose to 500+ and shooting upwards to even 1~2k on meta events, game is literally unplayable, can't even use any skills at times.

I see no solutions though, hopefully someone on the tech side can see this that OCE players particularly SEA players are suffering badly 😞

Edited by Drigorin.3624
  • Like 2

Hello guys, once again, from Singapore here.
Not sure if this helps everyone but it definitely did helped for me, my spike issue is finally fixed and I'm back to hitting things as per normal at the usual stable ping of 200. I hope I dont jinx myself and this will last though but a Tech support finally gave me the correct advice which was actually simple.

1) I was basically using a DHCP, switched to manual and used Google's public DNS server instead at 8..8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 
2) ipconfig /flushdns

Finally glad I'm able to play normally again.

16 hours ago, Drigorin.3624 said:

Hello guys, once again, from Singapore here.
Not sure if this helps everyone but it definitely did helped for me, my spike issue is finally fixed and I'm back to hitting things as per normal at the usual stable ping of 200. I hope I dont jinx myself and this will last though but a Tech support finally gave me the correct advice which was actually simple.

1) I was basically using a DHCP, switched to manual and used Google's public DNS server instead at 8..8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 
2) ipconfig /flushdns

Finally glad I'm able to play normally again.

I use 1.1.1.1 openDNS now, supposed to be faster than google, just an FYI for all. 

Early in the morning 0 issues (not like u can actually do something cause every map is empty af and all the metas fail), as soon as ppl start logging in = lag spikes. So it has something to do with peak times, but meh, not like anyone on Anet side gives a crap. Wish i could get a refund and just go spend my money on a waifu pillow as a normal person

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

So... it was good very 2 days and I'm just starting to get really high ping and spikes AGAIN. I was just playing as usual and I had stable 280-300 ping then all of a sudden I got spammed with "The game client is unable to connect..." message over and over. My ping started spiking to 900 to 3k. Anyone else experiencing this? It didn't use to be this bad.

Same problem here in Taiwan for the past few days, again.  It's essentially unplayable - either it won't log in, or it won't complete a map load, or if it does it's incredibly slow with pings averaging 1200+ and then starts saying it can't contact the log in server.  It's seems like it's impacting most of south east Asia, and it feels pointless contacting support about this because the last time I tried that nothing seemed to happen - they just blame it on your ISP even though it's clearly affecting a large player base in multiple countries and multiple ISPs.

• Sad 2