Guardian changes preview Feb 3

Infusion.7149

On 2/13/2023 at 1:12 PM, Ragnar.4257 said:

Imagine equating "having a cast time" with "not being able to use a skill".

See, this is how braindead combat has become.

You could definitely argue that the 2.75s should get trimmed down to 1.5s or something, but the idea that you should never have to engage with cast-times, and never have to engage with opportunity-cost, is risible.

EVERY skill is "not available" if you wasted it earlier and it is now on cooldown, or it has a long cast-time and you didn't prepare properly. Why should mantras be an exception to this?

Imagine equating "a semi-long duration preparation cast that does absolutely nothing" to "using the skill you get after doing it".
And then imagine having a conversation as if you were not on reddit.

I wasn't talking about cooldowns, which are the actual opportunity cost - mantras had recharge timers in them before as well.
What we have now is a channeled cast that is not the skill you want to use, before you can then activate the same utility to do what you actually want. Why does an engineer traited for tools not tie his shoelaces for 3 seconds before actually gaining access to his 2 rocket boot charges? Or why does a shout warrior not do a couple of seconds of vocal warmup before yelling at people to shake it off?
Because it's silly, it's clunky, it stops weapon usage i.e. dps, and it is exactly what actually turns mantras into "the exception".

And just to be clear, I am fine with the way they changed the elite mantra, because that is the only one where you actually got a choice between an additional more powerful last charge and then the prep, or your previous two charges and no prep.

• Sad 1

On 2/13/2023 at 8:12 PM, Ragnar.4257 said:

Imagine equating "having a cast time" with "not being able to use a skill".

See, this is how braindead combat has become.

You could definitely argue that the 2.75s should get trimmed down to 1.5s or something, but the idea that you should never have to engage with cast-times, and never have to engage with opportunity-cost, is risible.

EVERY skill is "not available" if you wasted it earlier and it is now on cooldown, or it has a long cast-time and you didn't prepare properly. Why should mantras be an exception to this?

WvW -  I am entering bay, I charged my two mantras, I enter the water to N gate... poof they are gone, I recharge, wait we are going back to wurm gate, enter water poof I have to recharge before I fight in the water... I get to land to wurm gate. Poof I have to recharge my mantas, to late 10 peeps just killed me, no condi clear or quick stab from mantras.   

Oh let me add skill lag from the Anet server, you better charge your mantras before encountering the enemy zerg or  you can't cast diddly. 

Let me add one last thing LOL.  I can't even play right now or cast a kitten mantra because the WVW server Q's are horrible and still haven't been FIXED!

EB 41

Red 38

Blue 43

Green 22

Anet, quit screwing around with the FB and fix YOUR stuff. 

Edited by DtenCfour.3567
  • Like 1