Shield Master

nuwanomura.5763

I feel like shield need a cd reduction. why don't shield master has a 20% cd reduction like most traits that upgrades a weapon skill?

I mean the mastery only give you 1 adrenaline per hit which you need to get hit 30 times to get full adrenaline and reflect missile which is not even aoe around me, so its not even that strong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, nuwanomura.5763 said:

I feel they dislike warrior 

Warrior is straightforward and easy to understand, so it is easy to see the potential implications of modifying sustain skills since they have direct effects on the basic rotations warrior has access to.  Other classes have much more variables, and so are much more nebulous when it comes to balance. This means they can also get away with high damaging setups or low cd survival skills for long periods of time, as long as the builds used to get those setups are not relatively well known or well played. 

It continues to be annoying to have to jump through hoops for damage / mitigation, while other classes don't have to do so. 

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, nuwanomura.5763 said:

I feel they dislike warrior 

1 minute ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

It continues to be annoying to have to jump through hoops for damage / mitigation, while other classes don't have to do so. 

Warrior has been treated like dirt forever, but when you do see a good warrior stomp, you know it's 100% skill and effort. I don't expect things to change, but I do wish things got better. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Yasai.3549 said:

Warrior has been treated like dirt forever, but when you do see a good warrior stomp, you know it's 100% skill and effort. I don't expect things to change, but I do wish things got better. 

They're trying. But I won't forget it took several years and a particuarly tone-deaf banner rework to embarrass people enough to throw CmC/Roy at this in earnest. The warriors wanna pvp too. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's because if spellbreaker runs all damage mitigation options you basically can't hit them. Great Sword 3 is an evade, Defiant Stance converts damage to healing for 5 seconds when traited, Full Counter does its thing every 10 seconds, Shield 5 with a 3 seconds block, Balanced Stance gives no crit for 5 seconds, and of course two evades and potentially double energy sigil.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, SleepyBat.9034 said:

It's because if spellbreaker runs all damage mitigation options you basically can't hit them. Great Sword 3 is an evade, Defiant Stance converts damage to healing for 5 seconds when traited, Full Counter does its thing every 10 seconds, Shield 5 with a 3 seconds block, Balanced Stance gives no crit for 5 seconds, and of course two evades and potentially double energy sigil.

Well but warrior is not spellbreaker is it? also mesmer has as much blocks and invul as spell breaker 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, nuwanomura.5763 said:

Well but warrior is not spellbreaker is it? also mesmer has as much blocks and invul as spell breaker 

The cooldowns on mesmer  are longer so you cannot chain them together infinitely. You also need to take into account cc, I forgot Bull's Charge is an evade as well as a 3 second knockdown. Look, this is just a theory why anet didn't make the shield cdr baseline.

• Confused 2

For what it's worth imo Warrior is always a hair's breath away from being stupidly OP / stupidly Underpowered and this largely comes from (until Bladesworn) rotating stance CDs to mitigate damage & [Fast Hands] -- The most OP gamechanging trait ever being on Discipline.

This is one of the reasons that things like original [Lush Forest] & dropping Shield 5 down to 24s is such an issue. If you were looking at shield in a vaccuum, then yes it's CDs probably should be 20% lower. But in a world with alacrity + [Defiant Stance] + [Endure Pain] + other CD reduction you can get now they need some space to buff other things. & Personally I'm glad they're carving that out of removing the CD reduction on shield. I'm not saying that doesn't leave shield in a terrible spot tho.

Maybe they could add something else other than CDr to [Shield Master] to account for that? Possibly something like OG retaliation when blocking maybe?

• Confused 1

Anet just applies the cooldown reduction as baseline on skills they fear to start to underperform without the reduced cooldowns. That's why shields for warriors didn't receive the reduction, because they didn't think they will underperform.

Shield has historically always been the best choice for the offhand in PvP. Fact is that other offhands need help to bring them up to shields usefulness, but because shield was already considered really useful (even if taken without shield master), they simply saw no reason to give the cooldown reduction to these skills.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ferus.3165 said:

"Shield Stance" should be affected by "Last Stand".

Stances grant vigor and barrier when activated, and they have increased duration.

Shield stance is not really a stance, tho.

If people complain about it being called shield stance while not being a stance for trait interactions, then Anet will just pull the same trick they used for the engi pistol auto years ago. Was called "explosive shot", people were complaining that it didn't work with explosion traits on engineer. So what did they do? Change the name to "fragmentation shot".

Watch them renaming shield stance to "shield posture". 😛

• Haha 2

On 2/9/2023 at 3:33 PM, Kodama.6453 said:

Shield stance is not really a stance, tho.

If people complain about it being called shield stance while not being a stance for trait interactions, then Anet will just pull the same trick they used for the engi pistol auto years ago. Was called "explosive shot", people were complaining that it didn't work with explosion traits on engineer. So what did they do? Change the name to "fragmentation shot".

Watch them renaming shield stance to "shield posture". 😛

I don't see why it cannot be done. Tides of time works with quickness and alacrity. 

• Haha 1