Unusual Memory Usage Post-update

11 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

You know what else doesn't help?  You making claims without any evidence of anything.  Concise isn't needed.  Precision is needed.

You said it's a memory leak.  Higher memory usage isn't necessarily a leak.

You say the memory usage is "unusual" because it's higher.  So what if it's higher?  That's what happened back in 2015 too and they had everyone move to the 64-bit client.  In fact, the game used to run just fine in 32-bits but now minimum requirement is 64-bit because of the limitation in 32-bit with RAM usage and expansion of the game's memory needs.  I think you can still force it to use the 32-bit client, but memory issues would be even worse.

I don't know how much more precision You need. 

Do you want me to go back in time and Record the Better working version of the Game on my task manager? Then come back to the current day and Record this new , Objectively Worse version? 

For clarity, Average RAM usage in DR , PRE-Gyala update, was around 15% . 

Average RAM usage in DR , POST Gyala Update, Is around 25-30% 

This is Just Booting up the game and sitting in DR , Nothing Else. 

What did they change With the Gyala Delves update that Somehow increased the system requirements again, if that is your counterpoint? Point it out in the patch Notes for me, Since you're insisting that everything is Fine . Highlight it, even. 

The fact of the matter is, Memory usage is almost DOUBLE what it had been on average. Which , unless Anet Just really , absolutely Entirely Despises Functionality , Would not be an intentional Move. Many people are reporting Similar issues. 

SO I ask you how much more precision You need. 

Is a Horde of reports of similar problems Not enough ? Is Exact Numerical data Not enough? 

• Sad 1

Is there some reason you won't post any information about your computer and graphics configuration, third-party programs, or what methodology you are using to make the claims about memory usage?

You mention Task Manager, but Resource Monitor is the better tool.  And even better are some third-party tools.  Are you only looking at the total system % in Task Manager?  Total usage is really meaningless when trying to isolate a singular process.  On my system with Resource Monitor I can see that commit sizes from GW2 are larger than the working set it consumes.  So there's some stuff going into virtual memory.  The larger the commits get, the more your system may be paging to/from virtual memory.  It gets a few hard faults from the disk I/O, but nothing too bad.  Are you having excessive hard faulting?  No one knows!  You could be hitting a hidden bottleneck with your system and no amount of waiting for Anet to do something about it would ever fix the problem.

Yes, you really do need to go back in time.  Precision is not necessarily concise.  Documenting time-based samples of memory usage like screenshots of Resource Monitor is an important first step in good analysis.  What were you doing in-game during the screenshot?  Document it.  Documenting system configuration is the other important first step.  Good troubleshooting requires isolating and replicating all system state variables.  When you change a variable, document it.  You say something about what memory usage was before the Gyala Delve patch, but how do you know this?  It sounds like you were having issues before the latest patch because people don't normally monitor their memory usage beforehand.  So I cast further doubt upon the idea that this patch with Gyala Delve is the source of whatever issue you are having.  You're chasing a red herring at this point.

Similar problems are not exact problems so no, it's not enough to say there are hordes of similar problems.  For an analogy: you can have a runny nose from both a viral infection or a bacterial infection.  How similar!  But which is it: viral or bacterial?  No one knows!  You haven't provided the relevant data.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Melody.8123 said:

Okay so ive tried something and maybe it could help, so theres something called Memory Core Isolation in windows security which affects performance by alot (admitted by microsoft themselves) try turning that off and maybe it could help :3

Did this help for you?

What's great about your post is it lead me to find that I had some BIOS settings wrong and incompatible drivers still installed that prevented me from even turning that security feature on.  It appears that Microsoft now turns that feature on by default since September 2022 on new installations.  Now I hope this doesn't mean I'll start having game issues too.

Okay, so after all the testing, its actually something with a memory leak from the game, very noticable, first 2 hours are fine, then the game becomes more choppy the longer you play, i checked everything, temps are always fine, did a memory health test, i pretty much did everything i could, its certain theres another memory problem in the game, hoorah!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Melody.8123 said:

Okay, so after all the testing, its actually something with a memory leak from the game, very noticable, first 2 hours are fine, then the game becomes more choppy the longer you play, i checked everything, temps are always fine, did a memory health test, i pretty much did everything i could, its certain theres another memory problem in the game, hoorah!

See. I never even GO to the forums until all my Ducks are in a row. 

Me and the GW2 Team ( Via a ticket) Have tested Literally Everything and Lo and behold! 

It's a game issue.. which other people are now confirming. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/7/2023 at 11:16 PM, Melody.8123 said:

Have you inspected it closer using a program like Resource Monitor while playing?  You may be able to narrow down when it starts using a lot more memory.  The game naturally increases in size over time as it loads in more assets from character models, map changes, etc.  Some assets can be problematic, like the known issue with the Vermillion Wings causing FPS drops.

@Chaba.5410hey! Yeah ive kept an eye on that, and other things too, weirdly enough, temperatures are always normal no throttling, cpu usage barely hit 30%, gpu sits between 28% - 50%, drivers are up to date, its just weird, the game runs super smooth for the first 2 hours, then lagspikes start to join in permanently after that, until i restart the game

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Actually...

Noticed something off since last update too.
Sometimes the game will freeze for less than a second and becomes rather choppy. It happens if I browse wardrobe in bank, or if I sometimes do something too quickly. And it happens if I play for longer than an hour actually.
It can be ignored, but it never happened before and it is annoying.

Significantly worse performance than before the update, that's for certain, as I never had this happen to me before.

Edited by Blur.3465