Severe flickering with new tattoos

I bought the new Beastial Tides Tattoo set and it's flickering/shimmering like crazy. I've tried changing all my video settings and nothing fixes it. It seems to flicker the more you zoom out. Running also seems to cull it somewhat too but not always. It seems to almost interact with transparent background elements, but I'm not totally sure about that. Regardless it's absolutely awful. Regular Norn tattoos don't have this issue. Please fix this! 

I made a short video showing the bug.

EDIT: Everyone is able to see it affecting me as well. 

Edited by circuitnerd.5863
Others can see too
  • Like 7

I can also replicate this issue on multiple different graphics settings. The flickering goes away when the camera is close to a character with the skin equipped, but zoomed out it occurs. I've noticed that some maps don't seem to have the issue, such as the Lost Precipice guild hall and Divinity's Reach.

2 hours ago, GeneralWut.7426 said:

I can also replicate this issue on multiple different graphics settings. The flickering goes away when the camera is close to a character with the skin equipped, but zoomed out it occurs. I've noticed that some maps don't seem to have the issue, such as the Lost Precipice guild hall and Divinity's Reach.

I too have noticed it doesn't seem to occur on certain maps. And DR is one of them for me as well. I hope it gets fixed soon cause it's incredibly distracting and weird looking. I'm just using an outfit in the meantime 😕

I have the same issue. If reddit is to be believed, it is a z-fighting issue. The tattoo skin is layered over the actual skin and the game is uncertain which to render above the other since they are so close together. What irks me is that this issue is so obvious that it should have been cought before releasing the skins.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

yes, its clearly a z fighting issue, since the tattoo isnt a skin texture, like with norn tattoos, but rather a layer placed over the skin, very close to immitate the tattoo effect. z fighting becomes an issue becouse of that. and also having shaders set up anything higher then low makes the tattoo gloss, depending on the lighting, messing with the colours, and looking really weird/bad in most locations. 

i too really like the skins, and its great they are armor skins, not outfits - big props for that, but i too would really like those issues to be solved, becouse they are borderline unusable as they are right now.

Edited by Ascency.3580
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

To add some detail to this issue, easily replicatable texture bugs with Juggernaut's unique effect. 

For reference, this is what it looks normally, without the flickering or texture anomalies: 

Non-glitchy look

Then this is the Bestial Tides tattoo set with the Juggernaut's effect. 

Bestial Tides + Juggernaut (yes that's the texture for my boots on my shoulder)

Bestial Tides + Juggernaut 2 

Others exhibit oddities as well, like for example the Serpentine tattoo set loses all definition when affected by the Juggernaut effect: 

Serpentine set broken texture example (note the complete lack of texture on the chest, and compare to the texture still visible on the legs)

Lastly, the fire bloom set chest piece completely disappears with the Juggernaut's effect, not as egregious but still disappointing, the pants piece is broken like the rest, however, exhibiting the same texture jumble that is visible in my first two screenshots: 

Firebloom set broken texture example

Correct image for reference

It is rather disappointing that these unique skins were not only released separately from each other to the gem store, but were also released in such a broken state. 

Edited by Diruuo.6314
clarifications, added example screenshots and fixed links
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

dont have a screenshot of that on hand, but might post one later. regarding a similiar issue as abovementioned with juggernaut, - the deldrimor stone infusion. with it activated, the z fighting still occurs, but whats funny is how broken the textures become. for example, theres a texturte of someones FACE clearly appearing on my female human characters chest, using the bestial tides variant, with deldrimor stone infusuion.

Edited by Ascency.3580

After testing on several maps, I can confirm that lighting in certain areas, sometimes on whole maps, seems to get absorbed by these tattoo armor sets.

Go to the Vaults in Lion's Arch for example #1 (greenish gleam), then to The Deep in Gyala Delve for example #2 (teal-colored gleam).

The tattoos simply don't act "natural", because they are a layer upon the actual skin. If ANet could make it "anti-glare" that would be great.

• Confused 3

On 3/14/2023 at 5:41 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Thank you for the tag! I talked with a couple of people and they are looking into it. 

Latest patch still does not address the issue of jumbled textures with certain effects (most easily observable with The Juggernaut...) This continues being rather disappointing, as this is a paid item that has been in a broken state to a point where I can't really use it. Can we get some clarity on whether this issue is being tracked and when can we expect a resolution? 

Example of broken textures for Bestial Tides tattoo set post March 16th patch.

On 3/14/2023 at 9:41 AM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Thank you for the tag! I talked with a couple of people and they are looking into it. 

The patch on 3/16 states "Fixed some issues with several cosmetics". I don't know if this is supposed to include the new tattoos but they are still glitched and flickering. 

• Thanks 2

I know legging not tattoo leg armor part but  hm.......... this made me feel something missing at my character belly
🤔
https://imgur.com/hblwrlU

And I dye tattoo color slot with permafrost color but color show on my character body in map very dark it not white it grey and dark grey can say in every map
https://i.imgur.com/2NpbTj9.jpg

Edited by Alexsear.6721
use wrong picture url it for bbcode

• 2 weeks later...

@Rubi Bayer.8493 - There are still egregious errors with these gem store items that have thus far gone unfixed. There have been two regularly scheduled patches since the issues have been brought up and we've had no further communication or fix in either of them. 

To be unable to use my gem store purchases due to graphical issues that seem to go unaddressed is quite unfortunate, and I find it rather unacceptable. Not to mention that the tattoo skins weren't even bundled at a discount prices for those of us that want all of them due to the designs.  

Can we please at least get some feedback on when these issues will be addressed, lots of evidence further up in the thread is still valid and is still an issue. In general I expect gem store items to not be released in such a broken state (and remain broken for months). 

Edited by Diruuo.6314
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1