Don't you get bored with WvW?

ozgu.6524

Is WvW boring?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Is WvW boring?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/2023 at 12:00 AM

I just want new maps or changes to the current maps. They could be bad changes for all I care, just change something, I'm so tired of seeing the same scenery lol. Obviously new players won't understand but try solo roaming for 5 years and you will 😅

I think something being boring as little to do with the repetitiveness but rather the level of engagement.

The most important thing for a game is to let the players know that their decisions and actions matter.  For example, stopping an attack by double disabling it, or knocking attacking players off a cliff.

It's the same reason why I thought Heart of Thorns had quality pve. You had to actually respect the map and not just close your eyes, going from 1 POI to the next. You can actually die, oh no.

And by the same token, the worst thing you can do is make a game that plays itself, so your decisions don't matter.

I think for the most part Guild Wars 2 has some decent skill expression. Two people can play the same build and get widely different results. But I think a lot of that died out with the expansions and its all encompassing elite specs, especially when it came to PoF (absolutely trash expansion) but is a bit better since.

WvW in particular shines because of its sandbox nature, meaning that people can find their own niches to excel in, even if they may not be so good at performing preset damage rotations or whatever. There are many ways to be an asset to your team, that defies traditional meta expectations. And yes, even those people who find the weirdest spots to siege a keep from.

And because basically anyone with a level 80 can join and nobody can boot you off the map, it's actually an excellent game mode for players that can't fit anywhere else too.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 5

I don't find it boring, but I'm not in there much.

I'm one of those horrible PvEers that mostly goes in for some of the dailies, and if I see a zerg I might tag along to see if it does anything interesting I can join in on.

Incoming anecdote. My roommate and I recently put together a couple of complimentary builds to fight off small skirmish fights when we get occasionally ambushed while attempting to pursue dailies.  He's running a scourge focusing on sand-shades for when we're attacked melee, and I'm running a water-earth tempest focusing on chained magnetic auras to protect us against ranged.  Tonight we had our first real test of them... while grabbing a camp just the two of us, we were jumped by 3 people.  In the past we'd just /sit and let them kill us because we're awful WvWers like that... but this time we fought back... and won!  When my roommate dropped his shades, the three switched to range, which got reflected back on them.  They kept pressing us, but we left them no real good avenue to take us both down.  The fight ended unexpectedly quickly, and we took the camp.  It was more fun than either of us had expected. 

~EpWa

Edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643
  • Like 3

On 3/22/2023 at 9:00 PM, EphemeralWallaby.7643 said:

In the past we'd just /sit and let them kill us because we're awful WvWers like that... but this time we fought back... and won! 

Don't  let dime a dozen YouTube  montages fool you. A lot of these hotshots are only used to  bursting new players  that can't  fight back. 

Not that you can always win but the results will be more varied if you don't  follow the script.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Don't  let dime a dozen YouTube  montages fool you. A lot of these hotshots are only used to  bursting new players  that can't  fight back. 

Not that you can always win but the results will be more varied if you don't  follow the script.

Thanks!

We're looking forward to getting better with the builds and tweaking them, to continue engaging when we're attacked instead of playing by that burst dps or condi script.  It dovetails nicely into what I enjoy most about GW2: build theory and experimentation.  Meta has never interested me. But, countering meta or common approaches? yeah, that has my attention.  And, this is the first time I've gotten to do some experimentation with complimentary builds instead of solo or support builds.  PvE never has really inspired that reaction from me, so that's another feather to put in WvW's hat.

~EpWa

When I play that game-mode, I capture a camp/tower/keep or even SMC. I spend supplies, guild-stuff, blueprints, whatever and even defend it against enemies to make the base perform well. Then I log off and return 15 minutes later and everything is gone. That is very demotivating.

No matter how many hours you spend in WvW, no matter what victories you achieve, there is nothing that lasts. WvW rank system and the ppt-system basically reward dumb and cowardly gameplay. Dailies are repetitive and often just PvE tasks. You have weirdos like the duelers, who want to play sPvP in WvW maps. You are 'not allowed' to interfere in those fights and are supposed to identify them on sight. If you watch them, there is a very high risk to get mauled by enemy players, often enemy-spectators. If you ignore them and go for the nearby sentry/camp, you are getting mauled by the spectators of the duel as well.

Let us say you place a flame-ram or catapult at a tower/keep and tear down the wall/gate. You can go to map-chat or team-chat and ask for assistance. That can work out. But sometimes you get some really disturbing replies like "who goes to X BL anyway?" or "hey dude, I've heard Tequatl is up." Few months ago, I took down a keeps walls all by myself and had to wait about 30 minutes of constant advertising until someone lowered themselves to help with the keep. A few weeks later I took on a tower and had to wait a full hour. Bad hours? Not exactly, no. There was good activity on the maps. There was just nobody in the mood. 

WvW is quite boring and frustrating for me. I go there for skins, achievements, GoB and legendary gear. But I do not consider my time spent there worthwhile. If I want to have fun, I play PvE. People are significantly friendlier in PvE and more likely to help each others. The rewards are much better as well. And tagging up in PvE is actually useful and players are glad when you do it. 

4 hours ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

When I play that game-mode, I capture a camp/tower/keep or even SMC. I spend supplies, guild-stuff, blueprints, whatever and even defend it against enemies to make the base perform well. Then I log off and return 15 minutes later and everything is gone. That is very demotivating.

No matter how many hours you spend in WvW, no matter what victories you achieve, there is nothing that lasts. WvW rank system and the ppt-system basically reward dumb and cowardly gameplay. Dailies are repetitive and often just PvE tasks. You have weirdos like the duelers, who want to play sPvP in WvW maps. You are 'not allowed' to interfere in those fights and are supposed to identify them on sight. If you watch them, there is a very high risk to get mauled by enemy players, often enemy-spectators. If you ignore them and go for the nearby sentry/camp, you are getting mauled by the spectators of the duel as well.

Let us say you place a flame-ram or catapult at a tower/keep and tear down the wall/gate. You can go to map-chat or team-chat and ask for assistance. That can work out. But sometimes you get some really disturbing replies like "who goes to X BL anyway?" or "hey dude, I've heard Tequatl is up." Few months ago, I took down a keeps walls all by myself and had to wait about 30 minutes of constant advertising until someone lowered themselves to help with the keep. A few weeks later I took on a tower and had to wait a full hour. Bad hours? Not exactly, no. There was good activity on the maps. There was just nobody in the mood. 

WvW is quite boring and frustrating for me. I go there for skins, achievements, GoB and legendary gear. But I do not consider my time spent there worthwhile. If I want to have fun, I play PvE. People are significantly friendlier in PvE and more likely to help each others. The rewards are much better as well. And tagging up in PvE is actually useful and players are glad when you do it. 

I don't know which server you're on but it sounds terrible. Sorry your WvW experience is so shite.

You could also try turning on your tag for camp/tower/keep dailies, someone will usually show up - although a tower shouldn't take longer than fifteen minutes (nobody shows up to defend?) even if you're having to solo build the siege and take on the lord.

I don't know what else to say other than perhaps have a look at your build or consider transferring to a server with a better WvW Community?

If WvW isn't really your thing that's okay too, as long as you're finding some enjoyment from the other things the game has to offer.

• Like 3

Personally, I don't bother myself with things outside of my control. If you keep thinking about that you will never enjoy anything. WvW is about killing and thwarting enemies.  If they have to wait until I log off, that's more power to them-- that point proves itself. They can go chase a number literally nobody cares about.

Once I logged on an alt account and they were attacking that server's EB keep, and nobody was around to see it but me, so I  disabled while told the server and they defended the keep. They probably would have lost it if I hadn't logged on.

That is power, and is independent of your server's abilities. xD

Let's put it this way, all your WvW stats like kills, defenses,  and captures are permanent. The matchup points? Gone by the end of the week. Like I said, nobody will care.

I see objectives as tools. They can be used to win the matchup, sure, but if you're looking it like that, the actual objective doesn't matter as much as the points it generated. And stuff like SMC should only be used for bag farming rather than strategic importance. Regardless, the loss of an objective should not just be evaluated by just simply the loss, but what it actually gained for you and your team. This is true regardless of whether you play for PPT or something else.

At the end of the day, this is a video game, and it should be about what you do that mattered, not what other people do.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Confused 1