GW2 Installer stops download randomly and for good [Merged]

Hey Guys,

long time not played GW2. So I have not installed the Game on my PC. So I download the Launcher of the Website, say the Launcher where to Download and Install the Game but yeah... The Classic Launcher start, starts to download the Game normally, but the Download Stops at a Random Time...
So i cant download more than 20% like before the Game would be playable.
I try to download the Game over my PC with my normal slow Internet (12MBits), then i tried it to download it over my Cell Phone and Hotspot (Works with 500Mbits without Problems in Steam and EA) but GW2 Launcher gots a max to 5MB/s.
And now i try it with my vServer that has a 1Gbits connection. Works to 20% with about 100-300Mbits and stopped.

Every Stop is without error. 
Its like the Server try to avoid me, because Internet connection issue overall cant be. Everythink works except the GW2 Launcher...

Where is the Problem? I do not understand that? Somebody gets the same Problem? 

Just want back to my lovlely Charr and kill some NPC's ❤️

Hopefully someone can help me to just download the Game.

Greetings

xHazeBaze

4 hours ago, boruto.6721 said:

what happends if you try to do download from other place and you dont have acces to that specific command what do you solve the issue ?

Worst case, if you're on a public computer where everything is restricted, there's nothing you can do and you would need to use a different computer to download it. Alternatives are using a VPN, using a router to change the DNS or booting Linux from a USB.

That said, everyone on Windows will have those commands. If you can't access or modify the hosts file, disable your security software. If you're not on Windows, the commands are basically the same on both Mac and Linux up until notepad and the path to the hosts file.

15 hours ago, Issan.7061 said:

Every time I try to download GW2 it stops at 11%, I contacted support and they had me download hijackthis.exe and it hacked my pc, I reset my pc, so all good, but I can't get GW2 to download

how did it hack your pc?

why arenanet doesn't have an .iso file that they can distribute via bittorrent baffles me.

Edited by floppydisk.8579
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

I'm really tempted to do a fresh install to try to recreate since so many are reporting this issue this past week...

I investigated it years ago when it became a very common problem by requesting the headers for all ~300k files at the time from over 100 servers and found random servers with random files being incomplete. For example, if a file was supposed to be 100 bytes, one of the servers would only have the first 80 bytes, which causes GW2 to endlessly download it because the checksum will never match. It seems there's no error checking for when the server gets interrupted while initially downloading/caching the files.

• Thanks 1

I am downloading from the main website. Gw2 website, it is not working, I think the GW2 administrators are the ones that need to investigate it. I am doing a fresh install, I just updated a few things in my computer. It is not working tho9ugh every other piece of software I downloaded had no problems.

now, if I reload the installer it starts back where it left off and runs for 2 or 3 minutes then goes to 0kbs and I have to wait 5 minutes, click out then reload the installer.

Edited by oatsnjuices.1698

1 hour ago, oatsnjuices.1698 said:

I am downloading from the main website.

Not sure why you think this matters.  The launcher is downloading it's data from patch servers, not the main website.

Yes, Anet needs to look into it by ensuring all their available patch servers don't have bad data, but in the meantime you can workaround the problem by finding one specific patch server that has good data and forcing the launcher to use that as per the instructions that others have posted.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1

First attempt: download stopped at 13% and the installer just sits there idle. Downloaded 6gb.
Second attempt: download started from 0%, got to 8% and stuck idle again. Downloaded +2gb.
Third attempt: download stopped almost as soon as it began. Downloaded <0gb.

At this rate I will have to restart it for hours to have the game installed.

- I don't have any security software blocking my normal workflow (because I don't have security software).
- I don't have bad internet connection.
- I don't have this download problem with any other game or platform on any devices at home.
- I played GW2 since its release date and this is the first time I see this happen.

Is this a known issue perhaps? Please help.

Edited by wilem.9635
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Forcing assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com to resolve to its second IP? I tried that and so far it's going, but it's so slow (~1mb/sec) that restarting the installer without this hack is actually faster. What I mean is, without the hack I assume the first IP is used, and it gives 10-20mb/sec.

Edited by wilem.9635
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

i have the same problem, i bought a new hard disk and installed windows and other games on it again, everything was fine except guild wars 2, the launcher stops the download randomly, i tried everything to figure out what it could be, also submit a ticket to support and did everything what they told me and still nothing works.

the download stops at 0% over and over.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I had exactly the same last week. was reinstalling the game (dont have old dat file backup), downloading. At a certain point it stucks at 0 kb/s and does not continue. Also doesnt give a error message, just does nothing anymore. When lucky, when restarting the client it continues after some time, but not long before the same happens. Other internet use is working fine. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, wilem.9635 said:

Forcing assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com to resolve to its second IP?

Forcing assetcdn to use the IP of origincdn, which is the primary US server. It's naturally going to be slower than your local mirror (assetcdn), but it will never have any corrupted files.

You only need to use it for as long as it takes to get around the problem, so let it download for ~10 minutes, then undo it.

• Haha 1

Hey,

I may have found a potential fix, if the previous one did not work for you.

All I did was disable my security system's firewall.

My issue was similar to yours in that my download speed would fluctuate wildly but as it neared the "Playable" marker on the install, my speed depleted to 0 mb/s. This happened several times.

After disabling my firewall, however, the download was not smooth by any means. I still encountered some moments where my speed would drop to 0 and I'd need to reopen the launcher. It would pop the installer back up and my installation would continue where it left off. 

I am not a genius when it comes to troubleshooting, so if this doesn't work as a fix for you, I apologize! Just trying to spread some current updates on what has worked for me, since I am also experiencing similar issues as you. 

Good luck!

• Sad 1