Crashing upon either loading in or selecting different character in character select

Following the patch this morning 5/23/23, upon either attempting to load in on a character, or apparently selecting a different character in the character select, the game freezes (when it happens during loading into a map, the spinning icon in the bottom right ceases to exist). Eventually, after clicking around in the window, the Windows message indicating that the program has stopped responding shows up, and the program can be killed. No Anet crash report is generated like some crashes. No add-ons are running, the computer has been restarted, drivers are all up-to-date as of a week or so ago. Against started with the May 23 patch, as of the previous night everything was running shipshape through multiple raids and character swaps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, DropkickGoose.2076 said:

Following the patch this morning 5/23/23, upon either attempting to load in on a character, or apparently selecting a different character in the character select, the game freezes (when it happens during loading into a map, the spinning icon in the bottom right ceases to exist). Eventually, after clicking around in the window, the Windows message indicating that the program has stopped responding shows up, and the program can be killed. No Anet crash report is generated like some crashes. No add-ons are running, the computer has been restarted, drivers are all up-to-date as of a week or so ago. Against started with the May 23 patch, as of the previous night everything was running shipshape through multiple raids and character swaps.

Patch for 23 May uploads/installs. I access a character as normal. Move about 2 raptor jumps in game and it crashes. Shut down via task manager. Can no longer load into the game with any character. All I get now is windows telling me the game is not responding whenever I load in.

Great patch. #sigh

No addons, have never had any.

Having a similar issue. Played before the patch and everything was fine, after patching and trying to run the game I cannot make it past a single loading screen. Screen freezes and eventually Windows says the program stopped responding. Sometimes it freezes even during character select, unable to load the model of the character. I have tried to run repair but it seems to not do anything.

• Thanks 1

Not the same crash but don't want to start up a new thread :p I'm DC'ing to character select about 5 seconds after map swapping, it taking me back to the previous map or another WP on the same map. By the look of the amount of people there on reload it's not just me :)

26 minutes ago, Midnight.7526 said:

I too am having the same issues. Guess I'll have to try game after work late tonight. Sigh

I usually wait a few hours for the bugs to be patched out but chanced it this time and... yeh. It happens, I'm not too salty about it but just gonna hope it gets sorted soonish as it's a little too immersion breaking for me tbh.

Yep, same here for me. Game crashed when loading after first character selection, restarted and tried again, that character gets as far as mistlock sanctuary loading screen but then hangs. Tried different character, but selecting it shows the name and location etc as text and plays selecting sound but does not show graph of character and hangs. Tried -repair but does not change anything. All happened today, playing it yesterday worked fine. Did get the update first thing after logging in today.

added info: friend that is already in guildwars says my selection remains on the first selected character even when I select a different one. Might help in troubleshooting hopefully 🙂

Edited by Theo.6231

My game crashes when I load in a character. It gets to the loading screen of the map they're on, then the game crashes. I tried -repair, it did nothing.  The game was working fine just before the patch as well. 
I'm doing a fresh install of the game to see if it helps. 

Glad to know I'm not he only one experiencing this issue.  Game loads to character select screen.  Clicking on the first character will bring up the loading screen and then freeze.  Clicking on a different character profile picture will freeze the game there.

It doesn't seem to be a network issue since trace manages to complete connections.  Will send in a ticket for more puzzle pieces.

Edit:  I deleted my .dat file and re-updated.  Did not help.

Edited by Sparticus.6508
Added additional info
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'm having the exact same issue as OP and some others in the comments. I tried uninstall/reinstall along with reboot, etc., but nothing. Same issue as before. This just started today (post update) and everything has been fine up until today. I'm going to cry until it's fixed so please save my home from water damage!!!!

4 minutes ago, nyn.2950 said:

I'm having the exact same issue as OP and some others in the comments. I tried uninstall/reinstall along with reboot, etc., but nothing. Same issue as before. This just started today (post update) and everything has been fine up until today. I'm going to cry until it's fixed so please save my home from water damage!!!!

Same i had no issues until this patch

16 hours ago, Sparticus.6508 said:

Glad to know I'm not he only one experiencing this issue....

Okay, quick update.  Support team reached out and had me go through the "starting the game from clean boot" guide I think I've seen somewhere around here.  They also gave me instructions to reset my web sockets.  I don't know if it's safe to recommend doing that as well so I'd defer to the support team.  I am now able to get past the select hero screen, but now the game stops responding when I log out.  I've sent them more logs and hopefully reprieve will come to us soon.  Thanks again to the support team!

5 hours ago, DropkickGoose.2076 said:

I've managed to get my game working by updating to the newest version of NVIDIA drivers, as well as running the Windows System File Checker with the help of support. Recommend anyone else with the issue giving this a try!

Thanks for the info, this helped me fix the problem.

I only needed to update NVIDIA drivers to the newest version 532.03. I did not run the Windows System File Checker or do anything else, so it seems like it's a problem with older NVIDIA drivers.