What if our auto chains were reversed?

Zuko.7132

What if warrior as the master of weapons started each auto with it's most powerful attack (the current ending of the chain) then went backwards to the weakest. This would encourage weaving one auto between each skill use and give war more upfront damage. I think it would be a cool mechanic for the master of weapons.

After thinking about it, I think a better implementation would be that after using a weapons skill, your next auto is the final in the chain for three seconds, while keeping the forward chain.

Edited by Zuko.7132
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Then why have the chain?

So that you can't just hammer the strongest auto on repeat, if you go through the whole chain your dps should be the same, but if you weave between weapon skills, your dps should increase. The idea is more frontloaded damage. You could also make it so that after using a weapon skill you have 3 seconds where your next auto is the strongest one. That might be a better implementation.

Edited by Zuko.7132
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Zuko.7132 said:

So that you can't just hammer the strongest auto on repeat, if you go through the whole chain your dps should be the same, but if you weave between weapon skills, your dps should increase. The idea is more frontloaded damage. You could also make it so that after using a weapon skill you have 3 seconds where your next auto is the strongest one. That might be a better implementation.

With such a change you would cancel the AA chain after the first strike, so why even have a chain then.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

With such a change you would cancel the AA chain after the first strike, so why even have a chain then.

For if you run out of weapon skills entirely. And so it’s not too much of a buff.

For example, hundred blades would lose all value if you could repeat gs3 as much as you want. And it would be way too easy to force dodges with unlimited triple chop.

Edited by Zuko.7132
  • Confused 1

a very long time ago Axe auto 1 [Chop] was the highest dps skill of the chain. This led to a lot of auto cancelling degenerate gameplay in all game modes so Anet backloaded the damage into the final hit of Axe auto chain 3 instead.

I think the right answer is probably somewhere in the middle. And I don't mean putting the damage in auto chain 2 lol.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Zuko.7132 said:

After thinking about it, I think a better implementation would be that after using a weapons skill, your next auto is the final in the chain for three seconds, while keeping the forward chain.

This is a SIGNIFICANTLY better idea, but still not great. If you don’t mind, I’m going to take it and expand a little bit;

Warrior gets a combo mechanic on F2. After using a movement ability or burst skill, F2 becomes usable for a window of time (3 second?), and gives a unique combo skill based on the current offhand weapon. Using a different skill will deactivate F2. F2’s should have minimal cast time (1/4s and no higher). 

I’m playing around with the idea of them having no cooldown in my head and just a tiny effect (e.g. Shield combo would be combat step; dash forward 200 range). That would give some cool opportunities for utility to be baked in while not being overloaded like most warrior skills.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

i was actually thinking about something similar, my version was what if auto chains didn't reset to first tier while in combat, instead continuing the chain the next time you use an auto attack.

something like: gs1-1 > gs4 > gs1-2 > gs5 > gs1-3

they could even rework autos or design new mechanics around weaving autos, it would be interesting. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

20 hours ago, Zuko.7132 said:

For if you run out of weapon skills entirely. And so it’s not too much of a buff.

There's a reason aa chains are backloaded and the reason is the opposite of why you want it frontloaded. It's supposed to be an autoattack chain, not "attack once and ignore the rest". If they wanted something to keep being "weaved inbetween of other attacks", they'd do it by having a short cd skill.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, eXruina.4956 said:

i was actually thinking about something similar, my version was what if auto chains didn't reset to first tier while in combat, instead continuing the chain the next time you use an auto attack.

something like: gs1-1 > gs4 > gs1-2 > gs5 > gs1-3

they could even rework autos or design new mechanics around weaving autos, it would be interesting. 🤔

That would be interesting. It probably wouldn’t make a significant difference in competitive modes (idk about pve), but it would be better than resetting AA…I think?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1