New Effects Setting needs more options

Perhaps it's just me, and I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I think the new effects setting's option has been implemented in an unsatisfactory way.

They are repeating the same mistake as with Post-Processing: too many separate things crammed into a single setting.

Can't we have separate visual (and possibly audio) options for the following

• infusions
  • skin effects
  • miniatures
  • mounts
  • combat effects

?

I would like to be able to still see other players' infusions when I choose to reduce the visual clutter caused by combat effects (AoEs, etc). I also want to be freed of having to look at fat flying rainbow kitties and big luminescent, squeaky cartoon ghosts all the time (especially in instanced group content)...

P.S.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8

Yeah, how players choose to dress themselves in game should be for them, and their choices shouldn't require other people to have to participate in them. If you want to look like a flying kitten rainbow that's great! Dress your characters how you want! But I shouldn't have to see it. 

So yeah, I like this thought process and agree with you here. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

After a while, it just sounds like some players would prefer to play a solo game, or look like the protagonist in a anime with bright colored hair while everyone else looks cookie cutter.  I get not wanting to see the sparkles and auras and effects and outfits and that some people play on potatoes, and an option to hide minis I'm sure would be great for those who dislike them. What else..hide mounts?  Hide gliders?  What DO you like to see?  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

Why stop there?

Why not give us a yes/no option for each and every single infusion, mount skin, Effect. I'm sure there aren't any more pressing matters.
Like "I want to see meteor showers, but not lava fonts." - "I want to see queen bee infusions but not chak eggsacs" - I want to see the living geode warclaw, but neither the living geode raptor, nor the legionaire warclaw."

Ppl will never be happy as long as they think their complaint wil be read.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 2

41 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

After a while, it just sounds like some players would prefer to play a solo game

On the contrary! I want an option that currently covers infusions to not cover infusions so that I can see all characters as they are and not be forced to look at their generic selves just because I choose to reduce the combat effects' visual clutter.

More options = more freedom of choice, without being forced to choose between only two states.

Your and @Omega.6801's responses are totally twisting my words and portrait my intentions as the exact opposite of what they are. How can you be happy to have combat effects and character effects both covered in one single on/off option??

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 10
  • Confused 3

I wouldn’t be surprised if trying to backdate this qol feature, they were limited in what they could do. I’d be interested in a blog post on their development process on this one. Might put to bed some questions.

Frankly, as long as I can see the fight and the mechanics, that is all that matters. I haven’t tested this in Dragons End or other big group events yet due to the festival. If I can now see what’s going on, then /win

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

On the contrary! I want an option that currently covers infusions to not cover infusions so that I can see all characters as they are and not be forced to look at their generic selves just because I choose to reduce the combat effects' visual clutter.

More options = more freedom of choice, without being forced to choose between only two states.

Your and @Omega.6801's responses are totally twisting my words and portrait my intentions as the exact opposite of what they are. How can you be happy to have combat effects and character effects both covered in one single on/off option??

Fair enough, I'm not opposed to more options, more just asking for clarification on what you actually are ok with seeing.  It felt as though you don't want to see anything, ever.  And others seem to also give the vibe of wanting to be the only character in their game lol.

Personally, I only have some sounds disabled, the effects I don't find bothersome.  I see enough of my own when out and about doing open world that it doesn't bother me not seeing when I'm grouped up.  I'm glad they're doing something for those who would like less disco balls and explosions. 

Would you include removing all colors as well, since some of those are definitely eye grating?  Does putting everything to base models not already do this?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

It felt as though you don't want to see anything, ever.

😄 I am always trying to communicate my thoughts as clearly and compact as possible, but somehow I always end up being misunderstood. Oy...

8 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

And others seem to also give the vibe of wanting to be the only character in their game lol.

Well, I do want to see everyone as they are, that's why I am complaining. And I would also like to be able to turn off some other annoyances that weren't covered in this setting, if I wish to do so. I can't put it any more clearly. (sighs)

11 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Does putting everything to base models not already do this?

Yes, the models setting does cover that, which is why I am kind of shocked how people could misinterprete my post (it is really beyond me). If I wanted to only drool over my own characters and see no one else's, I would set the model quality to lowest and be done with it. :classic_huh:

• Like 7
  • Confused 4

20 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

😄 I am always trying to communicate my thoughts as clearly and compact as possible, but somehow I always end up being misunderstood. Oy...

Well, I do want to see everyone as they are, that's why I am complaining. And I would also like to be able to turn off some other annoyances that weren't covered in this setting, if I wish to do so. I can't put it any more clearly. (sighs)

Yes, the models setting does cover that, which is why I am kind of shocked how people could misinterprete my post (it is really beyond me). If I wanted to only drool over my own characters and see no one else's, I would set the model quality to lowest and be done with it. :classic_huh:

Lol you're good, I know you get misunderstood frequently.  Thanks for your clarifications.  More sub options for specifics on characters, got it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Yeah, we really need more fleshed out options. Even within the limits of what we were given, why can we only choose between all, party, squad, and none? Why can't we have both parties and squads? It never feels like ANET thinks things through.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Smoky.5348 said:

Yeah, we really need more fleshed out options. Even within the limits of what we were given, why can we only choose between all, party, squad, and none? Why can't we have both parties and squads? It never feels like ANET thinks things through.

Dont squad option give you both your party and squad?

• Like 2

I would like to have the option to see everything until a certain number of players close to me is exceeded. For example, at big world events or in lounges / cities. Then it should hide minis, auras and all optional effects to increase the performance.

• Like 5

Having done big group stuff I've been able get a clearer view of how this new toggle works and the effect this option has is quite minimal. I'm not unhappy with them attemtping this by any means, but this has not resolved the visual noise issue by any significant amount. Further work is required to bring things to manageable levels. I want to be able to see what I am fighting clearly and not have a huge wash of SFX obscuring everything.

I'm not sure what the answer is. This was a small step forward though

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

this has not resolved the visual noise issue by any significant amount. Further work is required to bring things to manageable levels. I want to be able to see what I am fighting clearly and not have a huge wash of SFX obscuring everything.

Yes! I've noticed too that the main issue during large group events are the SFX, not AoEs or infusions. It would indeed be nice to be able to tone those down.

For now, I have reactivated all effects, because the options in their current state are useless to me (due to the bugs the setting still has and due to it having too much crammed into a single toggle).

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

33 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yes! I've noticed too that the main issue during large group events are the SFX, not AoEs or infusions. It would indeed be nice to be able to tone those down.

For now, I have reactivated all effects, because the options in their current state are useless to me (due to the bugs the setting still has and due to it having too much crammed into a single toggle).

I blame myself a little. Us catalysts are very showy with our animal attunement spirits and spinning balls of doom and aoe fields.

Not that I would change me for the world. Just everyone else

• Haha 2