June 27 Untamed Builds

Roadkizzle.2157

So.

With the changes in the new patch will there be viable builds for the Untamed that aren't Hammer DPS?

I have a Druid that I am grateful Anet is doing away with the reliance on Spirits for Alacrity. 

I like the idea of using the pets so I haven't wanted to try Soulbeast... But I've been thinking about trying out Untamed with the new patch.

Could a Condi Shortbow build work? Providing Quickness may be able to make lower DPS than the Hammer had more acceptable.

Shortbow might not be picked, just because of it's bad unleash and without it we lack condi weapons for condi build.
Perhaps if we get the ambush fixed, something could be done with Shortbow+Axe/Torch.

For now it's probably Hammer+axe/axe or Hammer+Longbow.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Beddo.1907 said:

Shortbow might not be picked, just because of it's bad unleash and without it we lack condi weapons for condi build.
Perhaps if we get the ambush fixed, something could be done with Shortbow+Axe/Torch.

The current FS build uses Hammer axe/axe. Longbow is a bit too bursty and untamed doesn't have a lot to supplement that burst. Hammer is consistently good and axe ambush is very strong along with strong skills on axe all around.

Hammer sword/axe could see some very solid play if the numbers on sword are good, plus the ambush will be buffed as of right now.

• Thanks 1

I don't really think the Shortbow adds anything... It's just another ranged option and I haven't played a character with a bow in GW2 yet.

How do the Untamed pet abilities function with the Beast master trait line?

There are many traits that trigger on "Beast Abilities" will they trigger with all F1-F3 attacks? For both Unleashed and not? That may be a nice way to get more support out using the pet.

I was thinking maybe with Nature Magic and Beastmastery you could make a QuickHeal Untamed.

3 hours ago, Beddo.1907 said:

One benefit that I can see with the Shortbow is with the new Quickness trait.

Both Axe and Shortbow will have the same range ambush skill.. So it'll be easier to swap between them, reset the ambush skill and apply Quickness. You don't have to worry about being in range of both skills.

I'm just thinking that there's a possibility the new Quickness trait will potentially open up more builds instead of just focusing on DPS with the hammer.

Im kinda excited i like to play my power untamed with LB and Hammer or axe/axe and hammer. I am a power untamed but i favor having ranged options on one weapon switch and my melee being my hammer. How i fight is i use ranged weapons as a gap closer or to avoid red circles so i am very onboard to see LB getting a buff given my first leggie weapon was Pharus. Even now ask my fractal friends im famous for LB kiting a mob if people die lol. I use FS all the time so wont be a huge change for me atm. Course i am guilty most times for camping LB so im glad its getting a buff.

Edited by Kaenaydar.5631

12 hours ago, Roadkizzle.2157 said:

There are many traits that trigger on "Beast Abilities" will they trigger with all F1-F3 attacks? For both Unleashed and not? That may be a nice way to get more support out using the pet.

Beast abilities are f2 (it is written on the skill descriptions, like skill types for utility skills), not unleashed. The unleashed f1-3 are your skills, not triggering anything.

9 hours ago, Roadkizzle.2157 said:

Both Axe and Shortbow will have the same range ambush skill.. So it'll be easier to swap between them, reset the ambush skill and apply Quickness. You don't have to worry about being in range of both skills.

Do you even know the shortbow ambush skill and its problems? It is a ground target skill, so it stops attacking, also the targeting ring is different from the actual damaging area. 

for condi quickness build, I think it will axe/- + -/torch (maybe dagger). firebrand rune, spike trap, sharpening stone, another trap or spirit, so the usual 'free slot', entangle.

for power, range option is long bow, for melee we will see the numbers. sword and great sword has a good potential with Remorseless or hammer. My guess is sword/axe + hammer. 

2 hours ago, enkeny.6937 said:

Beast abilities are f2 (it is written on the skill descriptions, like skill types for utility skills), not unleashed. The unleashed f1-3 are your skills, not triggering anything.

Do you even know the shortbow ambush skill and its problems? It is a ground target skill, so it stops attacking, also the targeting ring is different from the actual damaging area. 

for condi quickness build, I think it will axe/- + -/torch (maybe dagger). firebrand rune, spike trap, sharpening stone, another trap or spirit, so the usual 'free slot', entangle.

for power, range option is long bow, for melee we will see the numbers. sword and great sword has a good potential with Remorseless or hammer. My guess is sword/axe + hammer. 

I haven't played Untamed up until now and haven't used bows for more than a few minutes on any class so I haven't experienced the Shortbow ambush skill yet. My plans for the spec are still up in the air and not set in stone. I'm still exploring them so I'll see how it works. But I'm still liking that the Shortbow has more CC conditions instead of just the straight DPS that the torch is... But I'll see what will fit my vision better.

Last night I started creating it and I saw the only pet skill that said BEAST was the F2. It made me slightly sad but I don't think it'll kill my plans... It'll just make for less options to provide support.. it'll require pets with low cooldown instead of the bears with the 45 second cooldown skills. 

I had avoided Untamed up until now because committing rote routines to muscle memory and endlessly repeating them regardless of the situation while being punished for failing to do it perfectly is not my idea of fun.

Untamed was all about the DPS and the rotation given by Fervent Force seemed the antithesis of fun.

But with other options I'm getting more intrigued by the espec. I'm sorry for the people that loved the pace Fervent Force generated but I'm interested in what will come up with these changes.

• Like 1

Surprised Sword hasn't been mentioned yet. We know too little how Sword plays and how much damage it deals, but I would be surprised big time if it doesn't outshine MH Axe in terms of raw power dps.

My money (and hope) is kinda on a Hammer+Sword/Axe Quickness Untamed running either Skirm/Marks/UT or Skirm/NM/UT. The damage might not be that good for a start but that can be fixed relatively easy now that FF is finally gone for good.

Makes tuning Ranger a lot more easier.
Condi Untamed? Phewwww, I don't know. Condi Untamed Builds relied on FF even harder than Power Builds.

Power DPS UT still has Ferocious Symbiosis, while pure Condi Builds have nothing that good in Grandmaster Tier nowadays. Except they want to provide Quickness and Ambush on each Weapon Swap for some dps increase.

Edited by Mauti.3520
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mauti.3520 said:

Surprised Sword hasn't been mentioned yet. We know too little how it plays and how much damage it deals, but I would be surprised big time if it doesn't outshine MH Axe in terms of raw power dps.

My money (and hope) is kinda on a Hammer+Sword/Axe Quickness Untamed running either Skirm/Marks/UT or Skirm/NM/UT. The damage might not be that good for a start but that can be fixed relatively easy now that FF is finally gone for good.

Condi Untamed? Phewwww, I don't know. Condi Untamed Builds relied on FF even harder than Power Builds.

Power still has Ferocious Symbiosis, while pure Condi Builds have nothing that good in Grandmaster Tier nowadays. Except they want to provide Quickness and Ambush on each Weapon Swap for some dps increase.

I mentioned sword previously.

nature magic is less likely, it is for heal and regen, maybe spirits, but it gives so little damage bonus and only 240 concentration, with diviner  stats. Well the pet has boons at least. 

The reason for condi untameg is condi alacrity, because the rune of firebrand. The grand master trait for condi untamed will be 'let loose', because double ambush. 

For pure condi, soulbeast will be the best. (druid won't be as good)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mauti.3520 said:

Surprised Sword hasn't been mentioned yet. We know too little how Sword plays and how much damage it deals, but I would be surprised big time if it doesn't outshine MH Axe in terms of raw power dps.

Power DPS UT still has Ferocious Symbiosis, while pure Condi Builds have nothing that good in Grandmaster Tier nowadays. Except they want to provide Quickness and Ambush on each Weapon Swap for some dps increase.

My thought on the Condition build was as more of a support class with the Quickness trait. 

The Untamed traitline definitely seems to focus on Power DPS especially as the Minor GM trait increases your Strike Damage by a whopping 25%.

So a QuickDPS build of the class would definitely be a Power build.

I think Sword may definitely have a place there... But I know Hammer and Greatsword are already good. But Warhorn can also be useful.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mauti.3520 said:

I really hope Skirm/NM/UT with hammer and sword/axe is a thing. Would be so fun for me personally 

Edited by Mic.1897
  • Like 3

Hammer / hammer 

Reason ? 

U can cast second time a ambush skill. On hammer u have the best ambush skill + stability. 

That' s my opinion. 

Eventually - hammer / sword warhorn / axe

Axe is condi oriented ambush skill. 

Edited by Cytoplasma.8216

I think a condi Shortbow-Axe/dagger build might become really good, given that Light on your Feet will be buffed on defiant does, and Shortbow auto attack bleed bonus will always apply in that situation. Plus the refresh on Unleashed Ambushes will add even more condi burst potential, especially on that sweet sundering volley. Heck, even Axe on main hand for both sets and alternating between off dagger and torch might be a good and fun option. Rly looking forward Ranger changes next week, we rly are the winners this time around it feels like.

• Haha 1