Guild tags

At a practical level, 4 letter guild tags allow for 26*26*26*26 = 456,976 unique tags. Which sounds a lot, but how many of those spell out something that players would want to use? And what would you do about existing guilds? My personal guild is Schrodinger Cats [CATS]; I wouldn't like to guess how many other CATS guilds there are!

• Like 4

Is it imitation though? Say you make a guild with cats in the name of it. The natural tag to choose for this guild is CATS. or WOLF or any 4 letter word based on your guild name. It would be like making pizza for dinner one day and your friends make pizza for dinner the next day. Would you say they copy you and feel flattered they chose to make pizza that day? Or is it just a normal part of daily choices?

My guild is FOOO and I know many other guilds use the same tag. I did not take these guilds in consideration when I created my quaggan guild. It was just a normal choice for me as quaggans are in the name. Making these tags exclusive will create a lot of issues. What to do with the existing guilds with the same tags? the thousands of CATS, WOLF, LOVE, RAWR etc (Probably exaggerated, but there are so many of them 👀) Who will get the tag? And what about the other guilds? What kind of tag will they get? And what about the nightmare customer support will have to deal with afterwards?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Freya.9075 said:

Is it imitation though? Say you make a guild with cats in the name of it. The natural tag to choose for this guild is CATS. or WOLF or any 4 letter word based on your guild name. It would be like making pizza for dinner one day and your friends make pizza for dinner the next day. Would you say they copy you and feel flattered they chose to make pizza that day? Or is it just a normal part of daily choices?

My guild is FOOO and I know many other guilds use the same tag. I did not take these guilds in consideration when I created my quaggan guild. It was just a normal choice for me as quaggans are in the name. Making these tags exclusive will create a lot of issues. What to do with the existing guilds with the same tags? the thousands of CATS, WOLF, LOVE, RAWR etc (Probably exaggerated, but there are so many of them 👀) Who will get the tag? And what about the other guilds? What kind of tag will they get? And what about the nightmare customer support will have to deal with afterwards?

Solution. Allow 6-letter tags. In case of conflict of already existing ones, add a number behind tags. Turn off phones and mailbox, and ignore all the screaming. Once it quiets down, create a Premium service for guilds, where only one guild with a certain tag can become Premium guild (at additional cost), and that one guild can remove the number.

If anyone complains, throw responses from unmarked accounts saying that "guild team devs need to feed their family too".

See, how easy it was?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 7

Same guild tags could have mattered if there was OW pvp, guilds declairing wars against each other and so on. As far as gw2 guild interactions stand, I don't see in what scenario "same tag" is supposed to be meaningful for the gameplay.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I suppose in theory it could be a problem, for example if anyone else used the tag [PINK] on EU they'd probably get people expecting them to provide portals to jumping puzzles and stuff like that, although I might be the odd one out by not remembering the actual name. But they could always just say 'sorry, I'm not doing portals'.

I did once find it slightly frustrating when I wanted to join a guild with the tag [DARK] and it took me a couple of days to find someone in the right guild because a lot use that tag, but it wasn't a big problem, it just meant there were several times I clicked on someone to see the full guild name and got disappointed it was the wrong one.

18 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Same guild tags could have mattered if there was OW pvp, guilds declairing wars against each other and so on. As far as gw2 guild interactions stand, I don't see in what scenario "same tag" is supposed to be meaningful for the gameplay.

Usually there indeed should not be an issue, but there were some cases of people using intentionally misleading duplicate tags of known raid and raid-seller guilds to scam people. Haven't heard of this still happening more recently though.

• Confused 3

I am kind of against this mainly because I am in the TINY guild, and due to the cap on how many people there can be in one Guild there are 4 TINY guilds with all of the using the TINY tag. So yes, some people can troll with it, but most people won't. And if there is two Guilds with the same tag not planned I don't see it as much an issue to sort out by just asking the person if it is the right Guild or checking out the links they provide. But the current system is fine as is, or they need to increase Guild member cap to like 3k to people don't have to make duplicate tags.

• Haha 1