Weaponmaster Training

Laosduude.1690

For the new weapon / specialization combinations I do See some use cases also for daredevil. Imagine a condi scepter daredevil making use of measured Shot/endless night and Lotus Training.  But No doubt you have to become creative in Order to geht Something useful Out of it. The specialization are so strongly tied top the weapons.

6 hours ago, Zacchary.6183 said:

I blame everyone asking for dumb weapons. 🙂

'Everyone?' I don't think I ever seen anyone ask for Staff or Scepter and I'm likely the only one who wanted Dual Axe Bandit and still don't get what I want anyways. Only thing I saw asked for a lot that was chosen was Rifle, despite my warnings of how useless it'd be over buffing Dual Pistols instead and that's exactly where we're at now.

Edited by Doggie.3184

Would very much have preferred either a Sword Off-Hand, or even a Focus to pair with Scepter for example for that matter.
Either a bit more of that swashbuckling (into duelist/bruiser) feel, or a better tie-in to Shadow Magic...

Off-Hand would be nice to provide more "core" options, there's plenty of Main-Hand already (and Two-Handed stuff is a real copout out of the dual skill...)

Edited by Vornollo.5182
Grammar.
  • Like 4

Hopefully axe will be a melee condi weapon, and they rework death blossom into a power skill rather than a random condi skill on a power weaponset. Maybe increase the power damage a little bit, remove the bleeds and give it superspeed if you evade, to give d/d some mobility? Apart from oneshot meme builds it's been basically unplayable in pvp and wvw since 2013.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, UNOwen.7132 said:

I guess it could be thrown like Rangers axe ... or its power but then it lacks a good off-hand.

Pistol would work as skills 4 and 5 are mainly utility focused and it's also mid range. The only thing the set would really need at this point is mobility which I would hope to be on 2.

1 hour ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

I woulda loved off hand sword, greatsword or long bow but axe is better than what we could have got guys.....war horn thief lol.

I wonder how Horny Thief would work. Blow it to spray smoke and daggers from it? Or to summon shadowmonsters wielding the weapon you're using? Blow horn and rows of swords burst from the ground in front of you? Blow horn to call a party member to your side to help you +1?

1 hour ago, Tails.9372 said:

Pistol would work as skills 4 and 5 are mainly utility focused and it's also mid range. The only thing the set would really need at this point is mobility which I would hope to be on 2.

Headshot is sadly just too expensive to be worth using most of the time nowadays, and black powder is a lot less good on a ranged weaponset, which it would be in this hypothetical.

6 minutes ago, UNOwen.7132 said:

Headshot is sadly just too expensive to be worth using most of the time nowadays

Well that depends on where the brunt of your single target damage would be, if it's front loaded in the AA like how it is for D/P then the ini cost wouldn't be as much of an issue.

11 minutes ago, Tails.9372 said:

Well that depends on where the brunt of your single target damage would be, if it's front loaded in the AA like how it is for D/P then the ini cost wouldn't be as much of an issue.

I mean, you dont really end up using headshot much in D/P either tbh, but fair. Idk, I kinda wish we got an offhand too.

18 hours ago, SlayerXX.7138 said:

I'm very lukewarm on axe, but....

I AM HYPED for Rifle/Staff. kitten all the modes that need balance. Rifle and staff will be an absolute blast in OW.

Yup, rifle/staff Deadeye means we finally have a power cleave option to clear trash mobs. Although staff damage will be an inferior version of DD and sustain can be harder without vitality boost + damage reduction, I think with the new Fire for effect + Improvisation, endless staff combo with 100% uptime quickness can be pretty good.

30 minutes ago, FrancisN.9276 said:

Yup, rifle/staff Deadeye means we finally have a power cleave option to clear trash mobs. Although staff damage will be an inferior version of DD and sustain can be harder without vitality boost + damage reduction, I think with the new Fire for effect + Improvisation, endless staff combo with 100% uptime quickness can be pretty good.

Funny. I thought Rifle is a great range option and might generator for my daredevil. Experimenting with the new possibilities will be fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SlayerXX.7138 said:

Funny. I thought Rifle is a great range option and might generator for my daredevil. Experimenting with the new possibilities will be fun.

Interesting, I haven't thought about it that way. As you said, new gameplay possibilities sound fun and the Weaponmaster Training idea is great. However, the toss-in axe mainhand seems awkward and completely detached from both the original design philosophy (dual attacks) and what the thief community has been asking for years (offhand sword). Meanwhile, even a mage class like ele gets dual swords and range-class engineer is going to get a sword. An axe, which is a more tool-like weapon than a sword, fits engineers better, but I guess someone among devs is playing favoritism here and thieves get whatever leftover options remain.

Edited by FrancisN.9276
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FrancisN.9276 said:

However, the toss-in axe mainhand seems awkward and completely detached from both the original design philosophy (dual attacks) and what the thief community has been asking for years (offhand sword). Meanwhile, even a mage class like ele gets dual swords and range-class engineer is going to get a sword. An axe, which is a more tool-like weapon than a sword, fits engineers better, but I guess someone among devs is playing favoritism here and thieves get whatever leftover options remain.

They did go for 5 new weapon skills per class. With scepter getting unlocked for core, a OH weapon means 6 skills. I get the reasoning, but I am a little salty that necro gets double sword before thief.

Edited by SlayerXX.7138

13 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

'Everyone?' I don't think I ever seen anyone ask for Staff or Scepter and I'm likely the only one who wanted Dual Axe Bandit and still don't get what I want anyways. Only thing I saw asked for a lot that was chosen was Rifle, despite my warnings of how useless it'd be over buffing Dual Pistols instead and that's exactly where we're at now.

Staff was asked for in earlier iterations of the forums. Scepter was from one idea iirc, but a bunch of people were asking for axe. Then anet gave us "magic axe".

On 6/28/2023 at 7:15 AM, Doggie.3184 said:

I wonder how Horny Thief would work. Blow it to spray smoke and daggers from it? Or to summon shadowmonsters wielding the weapon you're using? Blow horn and rows of swords burst from the ground in front of you? Blow horn to call a party member to your side to help you +1?

Take Specter the extra mile and go full necro. Summon skelk minions.