Weapon and Relic Theory Crafting Questions

This is just a bunch of random thoughts about what they might need to solve and do to make the Relic and Weapon stuff work. I'm super excited about this all and I love having all these questions:

1. Weapons Tied to Elite Specs: Some weapons are heavily tied to a profession mechanic (Sword on Holosmith references Heat). Will they just remove this and it will be weaker off spec? Will they create a new method of triggering the bonuses?
  2. Elementalist New Skills: Ele is going to get a bunch of new skills.  Warhorn and Pistol are both one handed weapons that will have weaved combo skills!
  3. New Weapon Theming: The new weapons are not going to be created for a new elite spec, so they have to just tie directly into what it means to be the original core version of that class. How are they going to make shortbow do that for Engineer? Pistol Ele? 
  4. Rune Diversity: Will we be getting all combinations of stats, including ones that might not exist?  Will Divinity's all stats still exist? What about things like Expertise and Concentration? I could imagine a rune that's Concentration/Ferocity that we haven't seen before. 
  5. Rune Condition Reduction/Increases: Will there still be runes that change condition, stun, or boon duration? I could see these being rolled up into a Relic. For example, instead of +4% protection duration, +6% protection duration, it's just a relic that increases protection duration by 15%.
  6. Relic Utility Types: Right now we have 8 runes with ties to utility skills (Cantrip, Glyph, Shout, Stance, Trap, Well, Banner, Conjure). I could imagine a lot more candidates that would work between multiple specs (Meditations, Signets, Mantra, Physicals, Elixirs, etc). 
  7. Clean Up Relics: Will the UI help with finding ones I want? For example, I looked at the diversity of the 6 slot effects and they kind of group decently
    1. Increase Stats
    2. Increase Specific Condi/Boon/Disable duration
    3. Decrease incoming Condi/Boon/Disable duration
    4. Gain Boon on trigger
    5. Deal extra damage
    6. Trigger skills
    7. Remove/Transfer conditions
    8. Summoning

So pumped to try this all out!

• Like 1

What i wonder is if we will be given a relic to match our currently equipped runes so we don't end up weaker until we get our hands on a new relic. I imagine them being extremely overpriced early on due to the demand of everyone needing them.

Edited by PzTnT.7198
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Malus.2184 said:

For me the most important question is: Will there be a Legendary Relic?

That may be part of the second "mini" expansion. They need to have something for that one, if they want to justify that 25€ price tag going forward.

3 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

For me the most important question is: Will there be a Legendary Relic?

Probably, and if you own 6 legendary runes, you may or may not get some compensation on your way to acquiring the legendary relic.

Don't set yourself up for too much disappointment if you don't get it though, then you have another goal to craft something 😄

3 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

That may be part of the second "mini" expansion. They need to have something for that one, if they want to justify that 25€ price tag going forward.

$25 is not much for an expansion. This games dies if players expect new content but not having to pay anything for it.

How much do you dish out in sub-based MMOs on a yearly basis?

3 hours ago, PzTnT.7198 said:

What i wonder is if we will be given a relic to match our currently equipped runes so we don't end up weaker until we get our hands on a new relic. I imagine them being extremely overpriced early on due to the demand of everyone needing them.

I feel like I read we get a free relic box to start.

16 minutes ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

$25 is not much for an expansion. This games dies if players expect new content but not having to pay anything for it.

Producing half the content should equal half the price. It's not hard to see that. 15€ would have been a good price.

16 minutes ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

How much do you dish out in sub-based MMOs on a yearly basis?

I don't play those currently, outside of sometimes a few free days in FF14. But they are not for comparison for comparison here. The content delivery of those games significantly higher than GW2.

The only comparison that's applicable here is to compare SotO to what Arenanet charged before and how much content we got for that.

Edited by Fueki.4753

13 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Producing half the content should equal half the price. It's not hard to see that. 15€ would have been a good price.

A lot of stuff in HoT, PoF, and EoD is effectively dead-on-arrival content. Based on the spoilers given nothing of the content in SotO seem to be that.

I can imagine myself doing stuff in and related to SotO far more than I ever could imagine myself doing the same for HoT, PoF, and EoD A price point of 25 Euro seems more than fair, especially considering you get stuff after the release as well. You pay 25 euros for the entire cycle instead of just one content drop.

I would like a lot more clarification about what weapons can be used on what profession.  The initial post from ANet is confusing.  Can I use a longbow on my Ele and does that have all new skills??

**EDIT**

After looking at what they actually said, I think I understand now:  Each profession will have access to any of the weapons from that professions elite spec without having to equip that trait line...disappointing.

So they aren't really adding new skills...just tweaking the trait lines.

Edited by MokahTGS.7850

12 minutes ago, MokahTGS.7850 said:

I would like a lot more clarification about what weapons can be used on what profession.  The initial post from ANet is confusing.  Can I use a longbow on my Ele and does that have all new skills??

**EDIT**

After looking at what they actually said, I think I understand now:  Each profession will have access to any of the weapons from that professions elite spec without having to equip that trait line...disappointing.

So they aren't really adding new skills...just tweaking the trait lines.

New skills only come with second drop when everyone get a new weapon.